Have you ever been in that place where your blog seems stuck at some sort of pleateau? A few months ago, your stats were increasing daily and you were getting 10 new bloglovin’ followers per day.
Now it all seems a bit stagnant. But you can’t really understand why. Because you’re leaving blog comments, you’re joining twitter chats, you’re writing great posts and your photos are the best they’ve ever been.
You’re following all the advice out there. So why aren’t things getting better?
Level up your blogging.
I believe that a blog grows in stages and as you develop your voice, style, photography and your blog layout, you start to kind of level up.
I can remember key times in my blogging life where I’ve felt that level up. Almost felt it physically. I grow a few inches, my mana gains an extra 20 points, my experience goes up and I can now jump higher without gaining damage.
There does come a point where you feel like you’re just hoovering around the same level and feel lost. You just can’t seem to push through this barrier. It’s disheartening.
You feel your blog content is the best you can make it but the people just are not coming. Or if they are coming, they’re not engaging.
It’s so frustrating when you write a fantastic blog post, but hardly anyone reads it!
How to take your blog to the next level.
Here’s a few ideas to get your blog growth back on track when you’ve hit a wall.
- Comment on at least 5 new blogs per day. Leave quality comments and ask questions whenever possible to encourage engagement. I sometimes like to aim to leave the longest comment on there to really stand out and drive some traffic back to my blog. I would say 1 in 5 bloggers come back to my blog and either comment or follow.
- Write a different type of post. Try to write something a bit different and see how your readers engage with the post. I like to mix it up and sometimes write something a bit risky. I usually get positive responses from doing so.
- Be really honest with yourself about the quality of your content. It’s hard in the blogging world to stand out. If you’re posting reviews of beauty products, what makes it stand out from the crowd? Just being able to take nice photos doesn’t cut it anymore as everyone has fancy cameras now (or so it seems) – is the writing interesting, do you have a style of writing, does your review bring something new?
- Work on your headlines. Are your headlines catchy? Don’t just write the name of the product – make the title exciting so people want to click on it – try to think of it as a cliff hangover and hint at a spoiler in there!
- Tweet blog photos. When you promote your posts through Twitter, use photos from the post to do so. People are visual and will more likely to be attracted by a photo than just a text link. I use buffer to schedule tweets/photos right from my browser.
- Advertise on other blogs. If you know some popular blogs that have a similar audience to you, then buy an advert. A lot of bloggers offer great advertising packages that include a mention in a blog posts or social media shoutouts. You can also suggest an advert swap with a blogger who has similar stats to you.
- Network with bloggers outside your niche. Just because you post fashion only, doesn’t mean you have to only connect with fashion bloggers. Don’t be afraid to make connections with other bloggers in different niches, in different parts of the world and in different age groups.
- Write a post that helps others. I love writing posts that share tips on various things – these are usually my most popular posts. People are more likely to share, retweet and comment on posts that provide useful information. Aim to have a key learning that people will gain by reading your posts.
- Play with your layout or theme. If you find myself not happy with your layout, then change it, or change some elements of it. Change your social media buttons, change your header or even something really simple – change your link colours or favicon. I recently change the font of my blog which was a subtle change that made me feel much happier.
What do you do to give your blog a boost?