When I received these Edible Wafter cases in my last Degustabox, I knew I wanted to make some buttercream buns on our next backoff at work. You might prefer to call these cupcakes.. but I wanted to use alliteration 🙂
I didn’t realise how easy it was to make buns, most of the ingredients are what you’ll probably have in the house already!
I pulled up a recipe online for then buns, then another one for the buttercream and followed them.
Here is what you’ll need for the buns:
110g/4oz butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
110g/4oz caster sugar
2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g/4oz self-raising flour
1-2 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Set the wafer cases on a tray – you don’t need muffin trays for this as the wafer cases are strong enough.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale.
4. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time.
5. Stir in the vanilla extract.
6. Fold the flour into the mixture, then add the milk until the mixture is at dropping consistency.
Note: Folding means to add a little at a time, I added a table spoon of flour. I stirred the mixture then added more.
7. Spoon the mixture into the cases until they are half full.
8. Place in the oven for around 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
9. Let the buns cool on a cooling tray.
Here’s what you need for the buttercream icing:
140g/5oz butter, softened
280g/10oz icing sugar
1-2 tbsp milk
few drops of blue food colouring
1 Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft.
2. Add half of the icing sugar and mix until smooth.
3. Add the rest of the icing sugar and one tablespoon of milk until the mixture is creamy.
4. Add more milk is the mixture is too thick.
5. Mix food colouring into the mixture.
After I had mixed the buttercream, I used an icing/piping bag and nozzle from a cake decorating kit to create the topping. Afterwards, I sprinkled with sugar stars and sugar.
What are you favourite type of buns?