Finding the perfect pair of jeans can feel like a never-ending quest. From the casual coolness of skinny jeans to the relaxed vibe of mom jeans, all the choices can leave you feeling overwhelmed. Whether you’re a fan of jeggings, a devotee of straight leg jeans, or a lover of high-rise jeans, picking the right type of jeans for your body shape can be transformational.
We all know that feeling of finding a perfect pair of jeans, the ones that have the best fit for you and hug you in all the right places. The jeans that have a comfortable fit and make you feel amazing. But how hard is it to find the right pair of jeans?
Before getting into this article, I just want to say that the most important thing is that you feel good! I want this post to empower you to find that perfect pair of jeans. Whether you want a loose fit, a casual look, or something that hugs your figure, the quest is to find that pair of jeans that makes you feel wonderful. We all have different shapes and personal preferences. Whether you have curvy hips, an hourglass shape or muscular legs – we want to find the pair of jeans that fits our personal style while making us feel great.
I’ll chat about the different styles of jeans, from bootcut jeans to low-rise jeans and boyfriend jeans, and explain which body types they flatter the most. So, whether you’re blessed with long legs, a curvy frame, or a petite stature, you’ll know exactly what to look for when buying a new pair of jeans.
- 1. Understanding Body Shapes
- 2. Best Jeans for Different Body Types
- 3. Picking the Right Denim Wash
- 4. Tips for Picking the Perfect Pair of Jeans
- Find the right fit jeans for you
- About LOVALL
1. Understanding Body Shapes
Before we look into the specifics of jean styles, it’s a great idea l to understand your body shape. Each person’s body is unique, but there are five commonly recognised body shapes:
- Rectangular or Banana: If you have a straight figure with minimal curves, your body shape is likely rectangular. Your shoulders, waist, and hips are roughly the same width.
- Inverted Triangle or Strawberry: If your upper body is broader than your lower body, you fall into the inverted triangle category.
- Triangle or Pear: If your hips are wider than your shoulders, you are likely a triangle or pear shape.
- Hourglass: If your bust and hip measurements are similar and you have a well-defined waist, you have an hourglass figure.
- Round or Apple: If you carry most of your weight around your midsection, you have an apple or round shape.
This doesn’t mean you should stay away from jeans that don’t typically suit your body type, it’s just a guideline for what may make you feel most confident. All our bodies are different and you won’t really know if something suits you until you try it on.
2. Best Jeans for Different Body Types
Now that you have a better understanding of body shapes, let’s explore the best type of jeans for each one.
Jeans for Rectangular or Banana-shaped Bodies
If you have a rectangular body shape, you’ll want to create an illusion of curves. Here’s what you can opt for:
- Skinny Jeans: These jeans, which are snuggly fitted from the waist to the ankle, accentuate your slender frame.
- High-Rise Jeans: High-rise jeans define your waistline, creating an illusion of curves.
- Bootcut Jeans: With a slight flare from knee to hem, bootcut jeans help add some volume to your lower body, balancing out your straight figure.
Jeans for Inverted Triangle or Strawberry-shaped Bodies
For strawberry-shaped bodies, the aim is to balance out the broader upper body with the lower body. Here’s what you can consider:
- Wide-Leg Jeans: These jeans add volume to your lower body, balancing out your broad shoulders.
- High-Waist Jeans: High waisted jeans draw attention to your waist, creating a balanced silhouette.
- Straight-Leg Jeans: Straight leg jeans complement your body shape by adding a bit more volume to your lower body.
Jeans for Triangle or Pear-shaped Bodies
For pear-shaped bodies, the goal is to balance your wider hips with the rest of your body. Here are some styles to consider:
- Bootcut Jeans: The slight flare at the bottom of bootcut jeans can balance out your wider hips.
- Straight Leg Jeans: These jeans help create a balanced silhouette by maintaining the same width from the waist to the ankle.
- High-Waisted Skinny Jeans: These jeans highlight your curves while elongating your legs.
Jeans for Hourglass-shaped Bodies
Hourglass figures are all about curves. So, the goal is to highlight these curves without going overboard. Here’s what you can go for:
- High-Rise Jeans: These jeans cinch in at your waist, highlighting your curves beautifully.
- Skinny Jeans: Skinny jeans hug your curves and show off your balanced body shape.
- Bootcut Jeans: Bootcut jeans are fitted around the hips and thighs and slightly flare out from the knee, making them a great option for hourglass figures.
Jeans for Round or Apple-shaped Bodies
For apple-shaped bodies, the aim is to draw attention away from the midsection. Here’s what you can consider:
- Straight Leg Jeans: These jeans create a balanced silhouette by maintaining the same width from the waist to the ankle.
- High-Rise Jeans: High-rise jeans can hold in your midsection and create a smoother silhouette.
- Bootcut Jeans: Bootcut jeans with a slight flare at the bottom help balance out a fuller middle.
3. Picking the Right Denim Wash
So we’ve looked at different types of jeans, but what gives denim its distinctive look? The answer lies in the different denim washes that are used to create unique finishes and textures. From the classic dark wash to the edgy acid wash, each wash has its own story to tell.
Let’s start with the dark wash jeans. This wash is all about depth and richness. The fabric is dyed in a dark indigo colour, giving it a timeless and sophisticated appearance. The dark wash is perfect for those who prefer a clean and polished look. It can be dressed up with a blazer for a formal occasion or worn casually with a simple T-shirt. The dark wash is versatile and can be paired with almost anything in your wardrobe, making it a staple for every denim lover.
Moving on to the stone wash, this wash is all about achieving that worn-in, vintage look. The denim is treated with abrasive materials like pumice stones, creating a faded and distressed appearance. The result is a pair of jeans that looks like it has been well-loved and lived in. The stonewash is perfect for those who want to add a touch of nostalgia and character to their outfit. It pairs well with graphic tees and leather jackets, giving off an effortlessly cool vibe.
Now let’s dive into the acid wash. This wash takes denim to a whole new level of edginess. The fabric is treated with chemicals like chlorine or potassium permanganate, creating a bleached effect. The result is a pair of jeans with bold streaks and patches of lighter colour. The acid wash is not for the faint-hearted; it demands attention and makes a statement. Pair it with a leather biker jacket and band t-shirt for a rebellious look that will turn heads wherever you go
Next, we have the rinse wash. This wash is all about simplicity and cleanliness. The denim is lightly washed to remove excess dye, resulting in a uniform and even colour. The rinse wash is perfect for those who prefer a minimalist and refined look. It provides a blank canvas that can be styled in endless ways. Pair it with a crisp white shirt for a classic and effortless ensemble, or dress it up with a tailored blazer for a more formal occasion.
One of the most popular denim washes is the enzyme wash. This wash involves the use of enzymes, which are biological substances that break down the indigo dye in the fabric. The enzymes work on a molecular level, gently fading the colour and creating a soft, worn-in look. The result is a pair of jeans that appear as if they have been lovingly worn for years, with subtle variations in colour and texture. The enzyme wash is perfect for those who want a vintage-inspired aesthetic without having to wait for years for their jeans to naturally age. It adds a touch of effortless cool to any outfit, making it a favourite among fashion-forward individuals. So, if you’re looking to add some character to your denim collection, consider trying out an enzyme wash – you won’t be disappointed!
4. Tips for Picking the Perfect Pair of Jeans
While choosing the right jeans for your body type is crucial, there are a few other factors to consider for that perfect fit:
- Fabric: Opt for jeans with a bit of stretch (2-6% of lycra, spandex, or elastane) for a better fit and comfort.
- Colour: Darker washes tend to be more versatile and slimming.
- Rise: The rise of the jeans can significantly impact how they fit. Go for a rise that complements your body type.
- Length: The length of the jeans can alter their look. For example, ankle-length jeans can make your legs appear longer.
- Fit: The fit of the jeans (loose, relaxed, skinny, straight, etc.) can greatly impact how they look on you.
Find the right fit jeans for you
Finding the perfect pair of jeans doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By understanding your body shape and the type of jeans that flatter it, you can find the perfect jeans that make you feel comfortable and confident. So, the next time you’re out shopping for jeans, keep this fit guide in mind.
Remember, the perfect pair of jeans is not just about the style or cut; it’s about how they make you feel. So, regardless of the type of jeans you choose, make sure you feel comfortable, confident, and fabulous in them. After all, the best jeans are the ones that make you feel like the best version of yourself!
I’m wearing LOVALL Jeggings in the pictures in this post. LOVALL is a brand that specialised in leggings but has now branched out to jeans, maternity wear, leggings, sportswear and more.