This post may contain affiliate links, which means I will receive a small share of any sales generated through these links

A Comprehensive Guide to Mold Damage

ad Are you suspicious of mold presence in your house? No matter how often or how hard you clean your home, the spores will keep…

by 

ad Are you suspicious of mold presence in your house? No matter how often or how hard you clean your home, the spores will keep on multiplying until they’re spread everywhere. When spores become colonies, they start to emit pathogenic mycotoxins, which harm human health. 

This fungus requires six elements to grow, including spores, moisture, a food source, oxygen supply, a lack of sunlight, and optimal temperatures. If one of these elements is deficient, the colony won’t continue to flourish. 

There are numerous toxic mold removal companies, such as Dependable Restoration of Los Angeles, offering professional removal and remediation services. 

The following guide will introduce you to mold damage.

What is mold?

It refers to a microscopic organism, which is a part of the fungi family. This organism thrives in warm and moist environments, both outdoor and indoor. The exact number of such species isn’t precisely determined, but according to scientists, it exceeds 100,000. Indoor mold thrives within 24 to 48 hours after a warm area becomes moist. When it multiplies, cells named spores are created and spread quickly. 

Moreover, spores allow this fungus to reproduce at the speed of light. Most spores are lightweight and airborne, which makes them float in the atmosphere. In contrast, heavier spores require physical transfer to spread. The difference between mold and mildew isn’t significant, but it should be understood anyway. The former is capable of surviving in dark spaces, whereas the latter requires some amount of light to thrive. 

Additionally, the former is much more destructive and trickier to locate and eradicate. Nevertheless, both fungi can be treated and prevented in a similar way. There are five types of such fungi typically found in American homes. For instance, the Aspergillus is blue-green or gray on the outside and white underneath. The Alternaria is gray-green with a texture that resembles velvet. 

Furthermore, penicillium is blue, yellow, or green. Conversely, Cladosporium is a green or black substance that resembles pepper. Stachybotrys Chartarum is a mass of dots, which are dark green to black. Click here to read some facts about Stachybotrys Chartarum. 

Common causes of mold in homes

The leading cause of mold in homes is moisture, as it cannot thrive without dampness. There’s no specific humidity or water content threshold where this fungus cannot survive. It thrives in both highly humid and slightly damp conditions. The longer dampness exists, the higher the chance for growth. Frequent causes of dampness include minor plumbing leaks, roof leaks, cracked ventilation plumbing pipes, condensation, etc. 

Standing water isn’t only responsible for setting mold into life, as bathrooms are infamous for encouraging active growth. Shower corners never dry completely, which is why homeowners can often see black patches on grout lines. Shower curtains are another location where this fungus begins to form. 

When dealing with leaky water pipes, the top priority for homeowners should be locating the leak source. Leaking roofs make the mold growth process relatively easy, as spores start germinating as soon as water enters the house and stagnates. Like in the case of leaky pipes, homeowners should hire a roofer to locate the leak and fix it immediately. 

Another frequent cause of mold in homes is the lack of sunlight. When exposed to direct sunlight, this fungus has no chance of surviving. Natural sunlight has ultraviolet rays that destroy the cellular structure of this microorganism. The following link, https://askinglot.com/does-sunlight-affect-mold-growth, explains how sunlight affects mold growth. In contrast, indoor lighting doesn’t have the same effect, as it fails to emit the same photons that kill it. 

While it’s not possible for the entire house to be exposed to sunlight, certain types of indoor lighting imitate the wavelengths of the sun and destroy it through their exposure. Mold thrives in places where light is inevitably limited. It also develops in places where the temperature is optimal, as it tolerates neither too hot nor too cold conditions. Therefore, this fungus doesn’t thrive in the Arctic or in the Sahara Desert. 

Nevertheless, household temperature levels are optimal for such cultures to thrive. Optimal temperatures range between 72 and 81˚F, or 22 to 27˚C, particularly in damp climates. Humidity levels should be optimal as well, ranging between thirty and fifty percent of humidity. The maximum percentage shouldn’t exceed 60. If possible, keep your home temperature below 71˚F.

Poor ventilation in bathrooms and kitchens is another common cause of mold in homes. Proper ventilation is crucial for allowing new, clean air to move through the house, which prevents allergens from spreading. In order to maintain a healthy household environment, make sure there are no energy leaks and keep the house properly ventilated. 

Warning signs

Homeowners should pay attention to certain warning signs that indicate the presence of mold in the house. For instance, you might sense a musty odor that’s doesn’t seem to go away. Normally, there might be visible signs of growth, which differ depending on the variant. Some variants are white, whereas others are black, gray-brown, gray-green, or black. The fungi that grow behind wallpaper and vinyl might be purple, pink, or orange. 

Water damage signs in the form of wall discoloration and water stains indicate mold presence as well. The same goes for peeling, cracking, or bubbling wall paint. Discolored floors are common, too, as spores breed under the flooring, making the floor and carpets stained. 

Common places to look for mold

There are numerous hidden places where homeowners should look for this fungus, starting with the shower and bathtub. Due to repeated use, these bathroom areas are almost always damp. Although it might not be visible, you should check under shampoo bottles, shower curtains, washcloths, loofahs, showerheads, and faucets. 

Sinks and toilets are also susceptible to the growth of this fungus. If the surface of sinks and counters isn’t dried thoroughly, it might develop black spots. The kitchen sink, refrigerator, pantry, microwave, and stove are other places to look for. 

Final word

Call the professionals for the effective removal of these microscopic organisms!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.