When you first set out on your blogging adventure, you probably weren’t all that concerned about your reach, or how many people were reading your blog. However, over time, it may have come to your attention that blogging can function as a viable career – it gives you the opportunity to earn money from the comfort of your home, and you get to talk about topics you love – whether that is fitness or tech.
However, there are thousands upon thousands of blog posts written every single day – and sometimes it can feel as though you are typing into an echo chamber – with your words getting lost in the fray.
With that in mind, here are some top tips for helping your blog stand out from the crowd.
- Focus on the quality of content you produce, as opposed to the quantity. While you should regularly update your blog, it is better to wait until you have something to say as opposed to posting for the sake of it.
- Put together a blogging schedule – for example, this could include one or two posts a week – and ensure that you stick to it. This can help you build a loyal following who will always check in on your site.
- Ensure that your website is compatible across a range of devices. For example, nowadays, people are much more likely to access your website via phone as opposed to their PC. Therefore, your website should not be designed for desktops alone – especially due to Google’s new mobile-first indexing, which prioritises mobile-friendly sites. You can find more about here: https://www.bradkrussell.com.au/google-mobile-first-indexing/.
- Collaborate with other blogs who write about similar topics to you. For example, you can write ‘guest posts’ on each other’s blogs, which can help grow your audience. Plus, you can make a friend!
- Set up social media accounts under the same name as your blog – as this is a great way to grow and develop your brand. It can also help widen your audience and increase web traffic to your blog. You should post a wide range of engaging, thoughtful content that your audience would love. Whenever you write a new blog post, you can create a graphic for your social media channels that features an interesting quote from the blog, that will encourage the viewer to read more.
- If you are serious about blogging, you need to stop treating it like a hobby and begin approaching it as though it is a job. Your blog can easily become a business, you just need to start treating it as one. This could mean setting aside some time each day to work on your content.
- When you first launch your blog, you might use a host site to help get you started. After all, they often come with useful templates and guidance that can help you hit the ground running. However, over time, you should consider purchasing your own domain name. This demonstrates just how seriously you are taking this venture and can also help you appear more professional.