Gah. Every so often, I find something wrong with my blog. Something outdated. A link that doesn’t work, an old advert, a bio that says my wrong age, a plugin that doesn’t work.
After seeing a few things wrong, I decided to do a bit of an audit of my blog and then write a post about the things I looked out for.
- Check your social media links work – I’ve had my Bloglovin and Google+ links change before!
- Are all your sidebar adverts in date? Do they need to be removed?
- Are there any old badges or widgets/plugins you want to get rid of?
- Remember to keep your sidebar slick!
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page – is everything in order? (my copyright still said 2015 and I had an Instagram slider in mine that was broken!)
Now you want to open each page and look for the following things.
- Is your About section accurate – correct age, location, job? Do you need an updated photo?
- If you have a PR page – are any statistics you share on it correct?
- Are your advertising rates still the same, if applicable.
- Do you have a clear notice to PRs and brands about how you can work with them including anything you won’t accept (eg pre-written content, guest posts etc)?
- Are there any other pages that might need updating – such as my bloggers resource page which is always behind?!
- Are there any old posts you want to update?
- Have a look at your post layout – your fonts, your footer – is there anything you want to change?
- Looking through your most popular posts, are there any posts you might want to write a follow up to or completely rewrite?
Back End Stuff:
- Check for any broken links that may be causing readers frustration (and damage your SEO).
- Check for SEO optimisation – do your posts have ALT tags in images? Keywords? Internal links? This might be a mammoth task, so it might be worth starting with your most recent posts, then your most popular and working that way. A spread sheet might be wise here.
Finally, now might be a great time to check in with your blog goals to see where you are – do you need to re-think your goals, do you need to come up with a different plan to reach them or do you just need a bit of a kick up the bum if you’re not up to speed?
Now you’ve spent a few hours auditing your blog, hopefully you’re feeling refreshed and motivated to blog hard.
Do you ever take a step back and audit your blog?