Do What Makes You Happy // #BagGoals

DSC_0402

I went through that whole ‘I’m in my 20’s and should buy sensible things now and fit in’ phase years ago, and now I’m in my ‘OH NO I’M ALMOST 30 MUST KEEP HOLD OF MY YOUTH’ phase.

I’ve found that as I’ve gotten older, I’m striving much more to find individuality and embrace those things unique about me, rather than try to blend in and be accepted like in my teens and early 20’s.

When I think back at how much I stifled my personality when I was younger just to be liked by idiots who now mean nothing to me, I get a little sad. If I had just done what made me happy from the start, I would have been a lot happier during my awkward year – yet it’s hard to not let what others think get to you, or be paranoid about what people say behind your back.

I was totally the kid that felt I had to get people to accept me by being like them – I spent far too long trying to imitate my friends, trying to have handwriting like them, circle my i’s instead of dot them, write the letter a the posh way like everyone else, beg my mum for Rockport boots because everyone else had them..

I remember going home and spending hours playing with makeup, with the idea that I could re-invent myself by going to school looking different, prettier, more mature, to try and comply with what others thought was attractive.

You know, like how it works in the movies. When an ugly, unpopular girl is given a make-over and then everyone loves her?

Well, that’s how I imagined it to be.

Back to reality, I realised they would probably just laugh at me, that’s if they even noticed!

DSC_0403

There are several ways you can stand out and be yourself, a big way is how you look and dress – I’m not the type of person to go all out, but I find one item that makes a bit of a statement, or screams for attention does the trick for me. Be that a statement necklace, bright shoes, a bold tee, or a bag, like the ones below.

I came across some Vivienne Westwood bags and amongst the sensible black and brown ones – typical to the ones I usually buy, were a bunch of funky ones.

baggoals

A kitten on a bag, BAMBIE? A care bear, a bag shaped like a monster? I can’t think of a better way to say HEY I’M HERE AND I’M DIFFERENT!

Did you try to fit in when you were younger? How you keep yourself unique?

1. Jackie Harrison
    December 3, 2015 / 11:07 am

Well said there is so many ways to be yourself and stand out from the rest is not always beauty personality has a big thing to do with that. I like how you are unique and the bags I could see you rocking it.

2. December 3, 2015 / 12:07 pm

It’s often when we get older we realise things that mattered so much to us when we were younger really aren’t so important any more! Of course it takes getting older to realise that, so there’s a trade off, haha!

I definitely agree that we should wear, do, eat, behave…etc in ways that make us happy. And if that means buying a Bambi bag, buy the Bambi bag! haha! 🙂 Accessories are a great way to express your individuality.
    Mica recently posted…Corporate Style: Chloe Paddington Bag and Wrap Dresses for The Second Trimester Baby BumpMy Profile

• Corinne
      Author
      December 4, 2015 / 9:08 pm

Haha! It’s so frustrating that it takes so long to realise though! Doom!

3. December 3, 2015 / 1:06 pm

I had a horrible time at school! Trying to fit in and because it wasn’t really me I ended up pretty much alone! Wish I could go back and stick up for myself and be a lot more me. At least having that experience means that now I don’t really care what other people think!

I loooove those bags! Especially the monster one and the tartan one xx
    S recently posted…Sleeping SoundlyMy Profile

• Corinne
      Author
      December 4, 2015 / 9:08 pm

It’s good that you came out stronger in the end!

4. December 3, 2015 / 5:44 pm

It probably happened to most of us, we tried to fit into places where we didn’t actually belong. So if I had a chance, I would tell the younger me not to do it, it is stupid. What I believe is being ourselves is what makes us unique so we don’t need to do anything special however I wouldn’t mind having that care bear bag to add more uniqueness:) x

Ela recently posted…November Favourites 2015My Profile

5. December 3, 2015 / 7:10 pm

The bags look fab, I really like them although I’m not wearing novelty bags. Being 30 is not that bad, don’t worry. 🙂
    Anca recently posted…Nine to Five HeelsMy Profile

• Corinne
      Author
      December 4, 2015 / 9:09 pm

haha I’m so scared

6. December 3, 2015 / 9:46 pm

This post it so relatable. I thought I was the only one who changed their handwriting to try and fit in! I still remember when my “friend” Lucy said my G looked wrong when I was about 11. The fuck did she know.
    I’m 31 now and I still don’t have much of a sense of style, I sometimes wear TV/band/movie t-shirts or skater dresses. But I’m okay with that 🙂 x

• Corinne
      Author
      December 4, 2015 / 9:10 pm

Haha, Lucy sounds like a dick!

7. December 4, 2015 / 3:48 pm

Remember only dead fish go with the flow, standing out and being unique is the way to go. I have never thought as myself as different but I have also never gone with convention. When my sister had black shoes I wanted purple, my glasses looked like Timmy Malets and I loved it. Being different is the way to go embrace it and grow old disgracefully Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Christmas Drinks ChallengeMy Profile

• Corinne
      Author
      December 4, 2015 / 9:20 pm

Dead fish go with the flow – that’s an amazing saying!

8. December 6, 2015 / 2:35 pm

Took a while to spot bambi, I thought it was a unicorn. I think the monster bag is a frog – a mutlicoloured frog. Yeah I tried to fit in but I never *quite* looked as cool as everyone else even when I did buy the next big thing! xx

• Corinne
      Author
      December 7, 2015 / 2:36 pm

Haha a frog with an identity crisis?

9. December 6, 2015 / 8:25 pm

I think I tried every trick in the book to fit in when I was younger, I was convinced if I could change then my life would be a million times better. No matter how I changed or what I did, things never changed, they never got any better.

Turns out you might as well just be yourself, people will either like you or they won’t, and the ones that don’t really aren’t as great as you might think anyway!

I love a good bag, I used to be addicted to buying them until my storage space become so limited! Oh to have a walk in wardrobe!

Sarah recently posted…Christmas – Gift guide for him 2015My Profile

• Corinne
      Author
      December 7, 2015 / 2:34 pm

I totally blame the movies for thinking we can change the way people view us just by how we look!