5 books you should read in 2016 to feel inspired

inspirational books

A couple of weeks ago in a #socialbloggers Twitter chat, we spoke all about books – that’s what gave me the inspiration for this blog post.

I’m always on the look out for inspiration, whether that be in blogs posts, podcasts, TV shows or books. I love spending my free time on things that inspire and enrich me – if I’m not learning or growing, I feel like I’m wasting my time. I like to be consuming information constantly. Information that betters me.

Here are 4 books I’ve read, or listened to via audiobook over the past year that have left me feeling full of motivation around both blogging, and other aspects of my life such as fitness and general well being.

inspirational books the happiness project gretchen rubin

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.

The Happiness Project actually started as a blog – Gretchen Rubin was feeling rather melancholy about her repetitive life – the quote ‘the days are long but the years are short’ is often echoed throughout the book.

She was feeling that time was passing fast, yet she was not focusing on the right things. She decided to start a project over a year to be a happier person.

She never proclaimed to be a depressed person, or have a terrible childhood or have something bad happen like a lot of authors of self-help books do – she was was just an average American going through the motions.

She set herself a new goal each month and documented her experience on her blog. The results are interesting and inspiring.

inspirational books #girlboss

#GirlBoss by Sophia Amoruso

#GirlBoss is probably a bit of a cliche amongst bloggers – there’s a good reason why.

Before I bought this book, I had no idea what Nasty Gal was or who Sophia Amoruso was – it’s quite the inspirational story.

It’s clear from the start of the book that Sophia was a bit of a wild child – easily bored and full of energy and unable to find a job that would keep her attention long enough.

She started selling clothes on eBay, clothes she found in charity shops and thrift stores. Demand for products became high and she eventually moved away from eBay and opened her own online store. Upgrading from shipping orders from her house, to moving into a warehouse and recruiting a team.

Soon enough, she had a hugely successful business that she started from nothing. She put in years and years of hard work and long hours to get where she is now. Brilliant.

inspirational books i, justine

I, Justine by Justine Ezarik

iJustine is one of the original and probably one of the most well known YouTubers – she actually was one of the inspirations for me wanting to start creating online.

Okay, I’ll be the first to admit that she can be obnoxious and certainly plays to the camera a lot – but I find her funny.

She’s always been a bit of a geek, loving all things Apple, video games and making videos from a young ages. She talks us through her childhood and how she created her first website when she was in the sixth grade about a boy she hated her class. She was clearly passionate about all things tech and social media – even before social media was actually a thing.

It’s another great story telling of how if you work hard, it eventually pays off. All you need is that fire in your belly to follow your dreams.

inspirational books The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

I’ve wrote a whole blog post on The Power of Habit, so I’m not going to go into much detail here.

This is a book about habits, as you can probably tell. It will teach you how both good and bad habits are formed. By replacing one bad habit with one good one, you really can change a lot more than you’d think.

Whether those habits are smoking, drinking, drugs, exercise, diet, sleeping patterns, productivity.. the theory holds true to them all.

What books do you find inspirational?

1. December 11, 2015 / 10:04 am

These books sound really really interesting! I’m not usually into anything other than fiction, but I reckon true stories and autobiographies of sorts would be good for my mind.

-M
    The Life of Little Me
    M recently posted…DazedMy Profile

2. Jackie Harrison
    December 11, 2015 / 11:09 am

I want to read girlboss great selection to read. Have a lovely weekend.

3. December 11, 2015 / 4:43 pm

I would read Girlboss, I wish I could find it in Spanish, and if there is a reason to read in English and master the language more. Kisses.

4. December 11, 2015 / 6:35 pm

I haven’t read any of these books and yet I haven’t found a book that would give me an inspiration. I need a book that would kick my arse and get me out of this negativity mood. Even when things go good, I manage to find one negative thing to get myself down and lose my inspiration. So reading some of these books can be one of my new year resolution xx

Ela recently posted…Dove Derma Spa Goodness3 Body LotionMy Profile

5. December 11, 2015 / 9:29 pm

I like your blog, its really dope.
    Do you want to follow each other?
    If you want, than follow me, and let me know in comments, so I can follow you back with pleasure.

kisses

6. December 12, 2015 / 4:05 am

Thanks for sharing these! I never seem to have enough time to read any more (I still have a stack of unread books from last year….) but I’m tempted to add some books to my Christmas wishlist, as I think it’s an important thing to do, to set aside time to read 🙂 Even if I only make it through a few books a year now!
    Mica recently posted…Non-Maternity Maxi Dresses in the Second Trimester and Rebecca Minkoff Mini MACMy Profile

7. December 12, 2015 / 11:17 am

The first book sounds very interesting. I should say they all sound interesting, but The Happiness Project is a book that I really want to read.
    Anca recently posted…The Best Christmas GiftMy Profile

8. danielle
    December 12, 2015 / 5:30 pm

i really liked the happiness project as well, i still need to read #girlboss and now i want to read the power of habit as well!

9. December 13, 2015 / 4:24 pm

These look really great. I have heard of Girl Boss, but not read it yet, and I’m actually about to start The Power of Habit, which I have heard good things about before. 🙂
    I really like your blog.
    Becky recently posted…Sunday Confessions 12-13-15 (Starting a Day Early)My Profile

• Corinne
      Author
      December 14, 2015 / 8:09 pm

Ohhh let me know if you like it!

10. December 14, 2015 / 6:13 am

I’ve read two of these, with #Girlboss being my favorite of the two. It’s definitely an inspirational one where you read about a woman who went from nothing to everything with her business, slowly but surely. She’s a total badass! adaatude.com

• Corinne
      Author
      December 14, 2015 / 8:03 pm

She really is a totally sass queen! I love her.

11. December 25, 2015 / 1:56 pm

Definitely going to have a read of these books!

Jemima x