I remember the first time it happened.
I was at home one Thursday evening – wearing a giraffe onsie, playing Skyrim and drinking wine. You know, totally #winning at being an adult.
I was waiting for the game to load, trying to get into Riften (WHICH ALWAYS TAKES AGES, GOD DAMMIT SKYRIIIIIMMM YOU WANKER!!!) when I was flicking through my phone.
I noticed a little icon on the top of my instagram home page I’d never seen before. So clicked on it.
I had two messages.
One was a picture that said ‘Nude for nude?’ with a caption that said ‘I won’t post if you don’t want to’. Oh, that old chestnut!
The other was.. well, I don’t know how to say this. It was a close up of some guys dick.
Yeah, that’s right – some guy that I’ve never spoken to before thought it would be a wonderful idea to send me a picture of his little man.
And now they seem to be popping up almost weekly. Guys I’ve never even had a conversation with beofre just lob a picture of their junk at me accompanied by ‘hi’ or ‘you’re cute’. Oh, okay great thanks.
Curious, I googled ‘why do men send dick pics’, and something odd happened. Something that has never ever happened to me in the history of all my Googling life – Google returned ZERO results.
I mean, is this the one black hole in human nature that even Google can’t figure out? Surely it must have been a cock-up, right?
I did a bit of nobbing around on Google, after feeling a tad shafted by the initial results. After changing some of the keywords, I found some reasons that men may decide to message you their member.
- Apparently some men do it to feel powerful and they like to make a women feel shocked.
- Porn culture – porn is easily accessible now, as is being able to talk to people online and some men think women actually want to get pictures like this and it’s an appropriate thing to do – hey, who wouldn’t want free porn in 2015?
- Men are visual creatures and most would love a picture of a naked women, so obviously think it’s acceptable to send a picture of them to women. Men fall in love with what they see – women fall in love with what they hear.
- They think you’ll send them one back.
- There are some women that do like getting pictures like this – leaving men thinking what works with one, works with them all?
I guess this is just another example of the power of anonymity online. You know, give a man a mask and he’ll
tell you the truth show you his dick.
While I still don’t understand why strangers send me pictures of their pecker, I did hear a quote once by a YouTuber a few months back who was asking the same question.
She said that someone once told her ‘You know you’ve made it when you get sent a dick pic’.
When I first started blogging, people used to say ‘You know you’ve made it when you get hate comments’ instead. How times change.
So yeah, there’s that.
If there are any men out there reading this, please chime and and let me know why you do this! Surely it’s not the norm?!?!?! I’m in desperate need of a gentleman to reinstall my faith in the male species. I’m about to quit and collect cats instead.
I love how our society is progressing and I’m excited to see what is next. :/