How eCig’s Helped Me Quit Smoking.

e cigs help you stop smoking

In October of last year I shared a secret about myself. Something I had never admitted on my blog before. Because I was embarrassed.

The secret was that I was a smoker and was going to participate in the yearly campaign ‘Stoptober‘ which encourages smokers to stop smoking for 28 days. To be honest, I didn’t think I would be able to do it. It’s 9 months later and I’m still smoke free!

I had been smoking for around 10 years, although I did have about a year where I stopped, but then slowly started again. My first few years of smoking were more a social habit and because my friends smoked. The last fear years, I smoked more and more – often smoking 2 or 3 in my car on the way to work in around 30 minutes!

I wanted to quit for a few reasons.
  • The older I got, the more I felt it was socially unacceptable to smoke.
  • People were always shocked when they found out I smoked and often looked disappointed in me.
  • I started for feel embarrassed to let people see me smoke.
  • It often gave me headache and left me feeling dizzy or sometimes sick.
  • If I had a task to do, my motivation just plummeted after smoking.
  • I had yellow stains on my fingers and nails from the roll-ups.
  • I had burnt marks in my car and my clothes.
  • Smoking made hangovers so much worse.
  • Going outside when it was cold or raining was unpleasant.
  • I started getting paranoid and terrified about cancer, gum disease and other smoke related illnesses.
I had failed a few times before for multiple reasons. I won’t go too much into it, but depending on how helpful people find this post, I might delve in a little deeper into my journey to being smoke free.

The number one thing that helped me quit was eCigs.

I don’t use the ones in my original Stoptober post anymore as I found the batteries died quickly and the
atomisers often got clogged and I couldn’t use them anymore. They cost over £30 too. I got a cheaper one after my housemate also got one from eBay, very similar to this:
You can buy the eCig here and note that it does come with different colours and it only costs £10. I would recommend this one after the others I have tried: the Tornado Tank and a eCig that actually looked like a cigarette.

It might be an idea to buy two, incase one runs out of charge, then you have a pack up. They should last long enough to justify the prices. I’ve had mine around 4 months and expect I may need to get a new one soon.

You can buy a variety of e-Liquid for these types of eCig’s. The liquid comes in various degrees of nicotine strength and you can even get a 0% one that has no nicotine in at all.

I started with a medium strength, then a low strength and now I’ve been using 0% for at least 5 months. I am slowing stopping using the device altogether. It’s mainly used when drinking and I haven’t used it in 4 days at the time of writing this post.

I was smoking it a lot more at the start of my smoke-free journey, but cut down along the way. I first stopped going out to smoke it on my work break. I then only smoked it while I was driving to and from work as I found it really hard to stop smoking in my car.

For the past 5 or 6 months though it’s been used mainly when drinking and that is getting less and less too.

Join the Vape Club.

Vapeclub kindly sent me some liquids to sample. I asked for a random selection rather than picking a certain flavour. My only request was that they were nicotine free.

I was sent Strawberry, Apple, Blueberry and Menthol. Each flavour stands true to it’s packaging and you can easily distinguish which flavour is which. Blueberry is my favourite, but always have been.

Price wise, these are £3.99 for 10ml which is probably cheaper than the average eLiquids I’ve seen. The average price for 10ml of other brands tends to be around £5-6.

When I was using my eCig the most, 10ml would last me between a week and 2 weeks. Currently, these will probably last me about 4-6 months. You can see how much cheaper it is than smoking real cigarettes!

It’s hard to judge a ‘throat hit’ these have (smokers will know what I mean!) as I find the nicotine free eLiquids have less of a hit than ones containing nicotine, although there is a slight hit that is satisfying for me now since I quick smoking.

The variety of flavours are great and easy to navigate across the site, you can view the nicotine free selection separately if you wish, or break down into categories such as food, fruit and more.

Flavours that perk my interest are: Blackjack, Bacon, Pear Drops and Gingerbread.

They also offer free next day delivery on orders over £10!
Do you smoke?
Or have you given up smoking or another bad habit in the past?
Do you think that e cigs help you stop smoking

I would love to hear your story.
Recent Posts:

1. June 25, 2014 / 9:32 am

I have never smoked, well just tried once and it hot so bad that I kept coughing for 10 minutes , water was running out of my eyes and that day I decided, it was first and last. Never again
    So happy to know that you have given up on spiking as I have heard that its a very difficult habit to give up
    I will suggest this solution to one of the friends who does
    Keep in touch

• June 26, 2014 / 7:35 pm

Ha, thinking back about my first time smoking, it makes me wonder why I continued!

2. Kizzy Von Doll
    June 25, 2014 / 9:43 am

Am glad it helped you doll. It is a nasty habit with too many dangerous side effects. I’ve never been a smoker, tried it once as a teen and it was gross, so I never did it again. xx

3. Jackie Harrison
    June 25, 2014 / 11:01 am

Beside being a nasty habit it could kill you or even worst having a organ taken out and you cannot be yourself it also give wrinkles fast. If you set a goal with help of your surrounding friends and family you will be able to quit I bet.

• June 26, 2014 / 7:36 pm

Also it makes your teeth horrible!

4. Mª Pilar Domínguez
    June 25, 2014 / 8:00 pm

I have never smoked but I bite my nails and that is a horrible habit too. I can´t stop to do it.Your list is very interesting and I hope you reach your target this time. Kisses:)

• June 26, 2014 / 7:36 pm

I’ve never been a nail biter, thankfully! It must really hurt.

5. June 25, 2014 / 8:11 pm

I’m proud to say that after smoking for 10 years, my other half has been tobacco free for over 3 months thanks to these e-cig things!
    Unfortunately he only likes the energy drink flavor so his cost a tiny bit more. It’s alot better than buying baccy though!
    Congrats on quitting smoking Corrine!!
    x

• June 26, 2014 / 7:37 pm

Thats fantastic! I’ve never heard of an energy drink flavour one. It is better than buying baccy for sure!

6. Lucy
    June 25, 2014 / 9:39 pm

I have never smoke mainly because if I started I wouldn’t be able to stop. It is such a difficult to give up so you have done well. Just make sure that you don’t start again. After doing the hard slog it is not worth going back. The trick now is to get of the e-cigarettes too. Lucy x

• June 26, 2014 / 7:38 pm

Yes! I am doing so well with getting rid of the e-cig too =) I’ve not smoked it in like 5 days.

7. June 25, 2014 / 11:46 pm

well done, corinne! i knew you could stop and 9 months really is a long time:-) i’ve never smoked, but remember a lot of my friends trying to stop smoking in high school and always failing. xx

8. June 26, 2014 / 3:35 am

Good for you, Corinne! I’ve never been a smoker and hopefully never will be but I’m sure it was hard! You should be proud of overcoming this obstacle in your life! & I have heard of eCigs before. I know they are used to help smokers quit although for several months during my school year, people would just smoke them in the halls. Since they are a new device, people could use them without getting in trouble since they weren’t covered in the guide book. Anyway, it was almost funny seeing them smoke in the hallways! (Kind of annoying to walk behind someone doing it but still amusing.) Anyway, again, congrats! I wish the best of luck to you:)
    xo Olivia

• June 26, 2014 / 7:39 pm

Ha, that is was weird when they first came up but they seem quite normal now! I know some people who have just basically replaced cigarettes with them but I’m stopping smoking that too.

9. Nichole Josey
    June 26, 2014 / 7:55 am

I have never smoked but I know how hard it can be to quit from hearing friends and family try. Congrats to you girl.

10. babyteeth
    June 26, 2014 / 9:21 am

Woah girl I would never have expected you to smoke! Well done on quitting though. Scott has given up using e-cigs. They are such life savers!

India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

11. Ashley of Southern (California) Belle
    June 26, 2014 / 6:08 pm

I’m so happy for you! Smoking is so bad for your health and terribly addictive so I hope you feel a great amount of pride for overcoming that addiction. This post made me smile!

• June 26, 2014 / 7:42 pm

Thanks Ashley! I do feel proud to have quit =)