I’ve always been one of those who loves vitamins, super foods and supplements. I’ve heard bits and bats about wheatgrass, but I’ve never really looked into how good for you it actually is.
Wheatgrass is said to have tonnes of health benefits, it has 19 amino acids and 92 minerals! It’s usually found in a form of grass, juice or powder and has therapeutic and healing properties . It contains no wheat gluten and is thought to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
It has more than 10 benefits, but I have put together the ones I found most impressive in a quick and easy list for your reading pleasure. I’ve kept the science and complicated words out in order to keep it as simple and to the point as possible.
10 Benefits of Wheatgrass
- It helps control blood pressure.
- It acts as a detoxifier and protects the liver.
- It aids digestion to relieve constipation.
- It helps the immune system.
- It helps skin rejuvenation – mix the powder with milk for a face mask to help with blackheads, whiteheads and acne! It also has anti-ageing properties and helps sagging skin, helps your skin maintain elasticity and gives your skin a youthful glow.
- It’s said to, though lacks scientific proof, help fight cancer, arthritis, insomnia, asthma and menstrual problems.
- It can help you lose weight as it stimulates the thyroid gland, thus boosts your metabolism. It also gives you energy and strength which means you can exercise longer, again, helping with weight loss.
- It can be used externally as an antiseptic to help heal cuts, burns, scrapes, rashes, athlete’s foot, insect bites, sores and poison ivy.
- It is wonderful for you hair. You can rinse your hair with wheatgrass powder for a treatment for dray and itchy scalp, you can add it to your normal shampoo to help repair damage and rinsing your hair with it can even turn grey hair back to it’s natural colour!
Rubbing wheatgrass powder into your gums is said to be a great treatment for gum disease and tooth decay.
The powder can be added to water to make a nutritious drink or added to juices and smoothies. When I was sent this product to review, I knew I wanted to make it into a smoothie right away. I blended 2 bananas, two apples and some strawberries with milk and then added 2 heaped teaspoons of the powder.
What shocked me most was how green it was! As you can see, it completely changed the colour of the smoothie!
The powder doesn’t really change the flavour at all, the only way I can describe it is that it does have a slightly ‘chalky’ taste, but nothing too overwhelming. I’m going to try this on my hair too as I’ve been having trouble with my scalp!
You can buy your own wheatgrass powder from Amazon by clicking affiliate link on the image below:
Have you ever tried wheatgrass? What do you think of it and it’s benefits?