Some of you poor sods on the forums or on my twitter may have had the pleasure of hearing reading me moan about my poor poor skin. I do not know what’s going on, but I seem to have had some drastic skin changes over the past few weeks. I’ve never really had problems with my skin – I didn’t get many spots through my teenage years and only tend to get a few here and there, but for some reason my skin decided it would be a great idea to make my life miserable by developing a few hundred (okay, maybe not hundreds – but it sure felt like it) spots on my face.
Not not only was I blessed with terrible, spot ridden skin, but my scalp got very flakey very fast. I didn’t think I had changed anything in regards to skin care products or diet to contribute to this, but the only things I can think of are:
- I ran out of moisturiser and bought a new, different brand.
- I’ve been REALLY ill so could be worn down.
- Cold weather.
- I struggle to sleep and am exhausted all of the time. I can’t remember the last time I slept solidly.
- My liquid intake is tea, coffee and wine. All dehydrating!
So, with this in mind, the first thing I did was alter my skincare regime. I consulted a few friends and then got myself to the ‘acne’ section and selected a few new products.
Witch face wipes and Witch pore minimising gel wash.
I’ve not bought any products that are specifically for clearing skin in probably 8 years at least. When I was around 15, I always used Witch products, so I selected these as I knew they wouldn’t irritate my skin. They leave my face feeling fresh and clean yet not stripped of all moisture and goodness.
Neutrogena Visibly Clear Oil Free Moisturiser and Freederm Overnight Clearing Serum.
I was noticing spots developing during the day so I opted for a new moisturiser that would help my skin during the day. I’ve not had any ugly white heads appear throughout the day since I’ve switched to this Neutrogena moisturiser.
A friend recommended the Freederm Serum to me. You put it on on an evening and helps remove the redness and speeds up the general recovery of blemishes. It’s not a miracle cream, by any means, buy does help make the spots appear smaller and less red!
Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation and Rimmel Fix & Perfect Primer.
I don’t usually wear make-up. Sometimes I may wear BB cream but on a general day I just wear eye make-up. This is because my skin is so dry that it tends to clump and flake. I’ve never used a primer in my whole life. I don’t think I’d even heard of primers until reading about them on blogs! With that in mind, I decided to pick up some foundation and a primer. I have used it a few times and it does work well. Again, it is not amazing but I really struggle to give you an accurate idea of how great it is as I’ve not really experimented much with foundation and I’ve never used primer before.
So that concludes my new skincare routine.
My skin is a lot better since I’ve started using these products which I’m happy about. I’m not sure if it is one or two that are helping, or just a mixture of the, all as I started using them all at the same time.
A post like that would not be complete without a list of tips to help prevent spots and keep you skin clear, so here you goes.
Tips for Clear Skin.
- Avoid diary – if you have to have it, stick to skimmed. Diary products contain cow hormorns which stimulate oil glands.
- Keep your hands away from your face to prevent transferring oil and dirt to you.
- Clean your phone to prevent transferring icky stuff from your screen to your face.
- Water, water and a bit more water.
- Clean your make-up brushes as they harbour dirt and bacteria. A foundation brush should be washed weekly and loose powder brushes biweekly.
- Do good sleeps. Skin repairs itself more efficiently at night. Plus, bed is best.
- Apply moisturiser while your face is still damp to lock in moisture.
- Exfoliate to remove dirt from your pores. Dirty pores look bigger.
- Cheerios! A bowl contains 25% of your zinc RDA. Zinc is great for repairing damaged skin.
- Always remove your make-up before bed.
Linking up with:
Treat Yo Self
What I’m loving Friday
G'wan, delve a little further..