Do you know how much you drink?

Do you know how much you drink?

A couple weeks ago we went out with my parents. They came up to York and we went into the city and went for a meal. I had a pint and a half before, a glass of wine during and 2 glasses after.

We then came home and it was pretty early, so I had another wine and soda water and a cider.

The next day I woke up and felt like death. I didn’t feel like I’d drank loads. In my pit of desperation, I decided to download the Dry January app, even though there were only a few days of January left.

I looked at few apps in the app store and most of them were aimed at alcoholics wanting to quit drinking forever. I wasn’t looking for that. I wasn’t sure what I was looking for until I found it.

I’m happy to report that the app doesn’t just work in January. Hurrah!

I added up what I had drunk the day before and was horrified to see I had drunk 18 units and 1200 calories worth of alcohol.

I think a lot of people underestimate what they drink and don’t know what units are in what drinks. But I had drunk over the 14 units per week guideline for women in the space of a few hours.

No wonder I was hungover.

This app is now something I’m going to use to track drinking. It lets you say if you have had a drink each day and input what it is. This tells you calorie and units.

Then at the end, you can see how many alcohol-free days you’ve had in the calendar below.

Do you know how much you drink?

You can tell what week I was off work, can’t you? Though 3 of the 4 days were just 1 or 2 drinks.

I fill in myfitnesspal to track my food with when I eat, I’m now going to do the same with drinking and hopefully can use that as a way to not drink 18 units at once again!

Do you know how much you drink?

1. February 11, 2018 / 1:27 pm

I don’t drink at all, but I still think this app is such a good idea for those who do. As you said, it’s a bit like myfitnesspal but for alcohol! I bet loads of people will find this really useful.

alicered.co.uk

2. February 11, 2018 / 4:36 pm

I love the idea of this! I’ve definitely slowed down a lot since my 20’s, but I’m definitely one of those people that can lose track easily when I’m in a social setting and always regret it for said death feeling the next day! I do enjoy a nice glass of wine now and then, but this app would be great to control myself on my nights out! Great post, hope you have a wonderful week ahead! XO – Kim
    Kim recently posted…January (2018) FavoritesMy Profile

3. February 12, 2018 / 12:36 am

That app sounds really useful!

4. February 12, 2018 / 1:37 am

I could see this app being helpful. I know how much I drink because it’s not much at all. In the past month I had a half a glass of champagne at a party.
    Rowena recently posted…Chanel Haute Couture SS18 BeautyMy Profile

5. February 12, 2018 / 7:45 pm

i rarely drink these days but this seems like a good app!

6. February 12, 2018 / 10:08 pm

this is a lovely app. I personally don’t need it because I don’t drink alcohol at all, but most people could use it, because people in general are unaware of how many calories there are in alcoholic drinks. There is nothing wrong with drinking in moderation, but it can really get into the way of fitness and dieting, so this is something to keep in mind.