Posted on July 24, 2017

Evil Eye Lounge, York

food/ lifestyle

Evil Eye Lounge, York

Back in May I spent a day in York with some of my best blogging friends. We met up for drinks and food and Sharon recommended Evil Eye Lounge.

Evil Eye Lounge is quite a funky place. My boyfriend described it as hipster. When walking in, you first meet a gin shop that sells every kind of gin you can imagine. We had pre-booked food so we were taken upstairs to our table, we managed to bag a room on our own as we had a table of about 10 of us.

One thing I wasn’t a fan of is that 1) we had to prebook food meaning we couldn’t decide on the day if we changed our mind and 2) we then had to go down and pay for the food first which took ages. I wouldn’t describe it is a place to go for a nice sit down meal – it’s a bit more casual than that.

Their cocktail menu is pretty impressive, though. I felt a bit spoilt for choice but then decided to go for a beer because I remembered that I didn’t want to be hungover the next day at work.

Ginger beer! They stocked ginger beer. That was pretty wonderful.

For some reason, the food menu has been taken down from their website so I’m not sure if they’ve stopped doing food or something. But I had their beef tacos. Which is the simple description of the thing I had because I can’t get THE BLOODY MENU.

I don’t think I’ve ever had pulled beef tacos before but they were delicious and I would recommend them for anyone going. SALOCA had the Korean Crispy Chicken Bao Buns which are also pictured. She was impressed.

They do great vegetarian and vegan options, too. Sharon who is vegan had smoked tofu tacos and vegetarian Hayley had the Asian veggie fritter burger. Basically, the food options were a burger, taco or bao buns and each came with vegan/veggie options and a choice of a few different types of meat.

I was actually really impressed with the food, but not so much the style of service. Although it is marketed as street food so it shouldn’t be surprising – it’s just not my preference.

A place to eat during the day for a casual meal, for sure.

Evil Eye Lounge, York Evil Eye Lounge, York Evil Eye Lounge, York Evil Eye Lounge, York Evil Eye Lounge, York Evil Eye Lounge, York Evil Eye Lounge, York Evil Eye Lounge, York Evil Eye Lounge, York Evil Eye Lounge, York

• Reply Frankie The Mayfairy July 24, 2017 at 11:17 am

It sounds a little like they’ve tried to merge the streetfood and restaurant concepts and havn’t quite figured out how to make it smooth sailing… as long as the food was good, though! x

• Reply Erin July 24, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Pre-ordering food does sound a bit of a hassle. But, the food in your pictures does look good. I think I would struggle trying to chose what to order (burgers and tacos aren’t my thing, either), but it’s great that they are so flexible for vegans and vegetarians! All in all it sounds like a really interesting spot, and like it would be a great place to go once you know how the restaurant works and how /you/ want to use it, you know? 🙂

Erin | Explore, Refresh

• Reply Anett July 24, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Yumm the food looks incredible!! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Bella Pummarola

• Reply Rowena @ rolala loves July 24, 2017 at 3:39 pm

I’ve never heard of a place where you have to pre-book your food before even going in. Good thing everything you guys ordered turned out to be delicious!
    Rowena @ rolala loves recently posted…A Minimal Skincare Routine With Shortlist BeautyMy Profile

• Reply Amy July 24, 2017 at 4:09 pm

I haven’t been here for years but there used to be a shop downstairs that I loved when I was a teenager! I think it’s just a food place now though!
    Amy xx

• Reply Akaleistar July 25, 2017 at 1:57 am

Sounds like an interesting place, and the food looks really good 🙂

• Reply Anca July 26, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Aww, pre-ordering food is so annoying, how can I know a few days before what I would like to eat. 🙂 It seems though there are plenty of options. It’s wonderful you got the chance to catch up with other bloggers and have such an amazing time. x
    Anca recently posted…Weekly ShoppingMy Profile

• Reply Lucy July 29, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Catching up with your blogging friends sounds nice but I can’t be doing with a restaurant in which I have to pay for my food first. Do they have that any people do a runner! Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…The Modern PantryMy Profile