Posted on June 16, 2017

When the doctors don’t know what’s wrong.

lifestyle

This post is following on from my blog post about vertigo that I had over Christmas. Since writing that post, I’ve had an MRI scan, which wasn’t as scary as expected.

I had my results back a few weeks later. I was given an appointment at 7:50 am. By 7:53 am, I was sat in my car wondering why I couldn’t have just had that conversation over the phone.

MRI was clear. It’s not vertigo. They don’t know what it is. If it happens again, go back to the GP for a referral to the neurologist.

Since then, I’ve been pretty much okay apart from a few wobbles. I even ran half a marathon in May.

But it’s happening again. Over the course of a week, it got a bit worse every day to the point where I couldn’t walk around at work. I called my GP, who then got a doctor to call back. I explained my symptoms and they asked me to come in an hour later.

The doctor looked in my ears, looks in my eyes, looked at my teeth, asked me to follow his finger, had me march on the spot and various other things. He took my blood pressure. He looked confused.

Everything looks fine. I was responding fine. ENT said it’s not vertigo, so why can’t I stand up without the feeling I’m going to pass out?

He read the note on my file for the ENT to refer me to the neurologist and said he is duty-bound to do that. Which wasn’t really convincing.

I said how I was worried it was something they wouldn’t be able to treat, but he said it could be a something migraine related that there is medication for, so I’ll have to wait to see what the neurologist says.

vertigo

I first went to the doctors with this 18 months ago and I’m still none the wiser as to what is causing it.

Last time I was ill for 6 weeks. Two weeks of work and then weeks of only being able to walk a short distance. I couldn’t even go to the supermarket and do shopping.

I can’t help but worry that something else is wrong with me. Something severe. Dizziness is the symptom of so many different illnesses, yet I’ve only been investigated for one.

I worry this will keep happening and I’ll have a high absence from work, holidays will be ruined and I’ll struggle to stick to plans. It’s an awful feeling and I worry people think that I’m making it up.

After months of feeling mostly okay, I feel I’ve taken 10 steps back and all the doctor can do is give me a sick note and pills that don’t work.

I’m frustrated.

• Reply Anca June 16, 2017 at 12:44 pm

I can imagine how frustrating it is. Such a long time and they don’t know what is wrong. 🙁
    Anca recently posted…Ancient Egypt at Liverpool World MuseumMy Profile

• Reply Kim Carberry June 16, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Bless you! It must be so frustrating. Try not to think the worst though. I know easy for me to say but worrying about the unknown can just add to the stress and symptoms. I hope you get to the bottom of what is going on soon. Sending love and hugs x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…A big thank you! #WotWMy Profile

• Reply Kaitlynn Marie June 17, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Ugh, tell me about it. I go to the doctor for a lot of things and they can’t tell me what’s wrong. Usually (like yesterday) they say “lose weight.” Because apparently losing weight is a magical cure-all and I won’t have any of the constant migraines or other issues I’ve dealt with for the last 10 years. I don’t know, but it feels like I’m paying a co-pay for nothing.
    Kaitlynn Marie recently posted…Short But Sweet?My Profile

• Reply Annika June 19, 2017 at 2:19 pm

This sounds so frustrating and scary. I am not a doctor but because your symptoms aren’t happening all the time I wonder if it could be environmental-related? It might help to note down when you feel this way and where you have been and then see if there are any correlations. Are you normally a migraine-sufferer?

I have suffered from migraines most of my life and I know they can produce all forms of crazy side effects. I read a great book called “The Migraine Brain” by Dr. Carolyn Bernstein and it helped me understand what my body was going through and that I wasn’t nuts with some of my symptoms.

I hope you start to feel better! Best wishes!

• Reply Gail June 20, 2017 at 12:45 am

I meant to comment on this a few days ago and forgot until just now. I’m sorry you’re going through this, there’s nothing worse than not having a diagnosis, and even more so when the doctor’s don’t know the cause. I went through a few months last year of constant doctor’s referrals with an end result of still not really knowing, which you’ve kind of inspired me to write about, actually, which I hope might end up interesting, probably not. I don’t think it’s likely to be anything serious, and I know it’s a lot easier said than done to try not to worry. I hope you get your answers soon. <3
    Gail recently posted…Things I’ve Learned From OthersMy Profile

• Reply Aimee June 21, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Oh no! I can understand how frustrated you must be. I really hope they can get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, don’t turn to DR GOOGLE!! It’ll only make you worried and probably for no reason xx
    Aimee recently posted…How Interior Design is becoming Ultra Modern || Guest PostMy Profile

• Reply Jennifer June 24, 2017 at 3:39 am

I’m sorry, that is really just awful. I wish there was something that I could do, but all I can say is that I’m here for you when things are shit. xx