As I’ve gotten older, comfort has become more and more important to me. Gone are the days where I have suffered all night in heels, I’m much more likely to opt for flat shoes. At long last, there is a trend that puts comfort first.
Athleisure allows us to step out in trainers, leggings, loose-fitting tees and even jogging bottoms and still look fab.
Okay, so it’s not exactly that simple. I’ve now reminded myself of my 11-year-old self – I lived in Adidas poppers, Rebok t-shirts and a Kappa over the head jacket. Oh, 1998 – how awful you were to me. In Athlesiure, it’s the basics that are the comfortable classics – you need to style it right to create a polished look.
There are a few staples you need to get the sports-luxe look just right. Here are the essentials you need in your wardrobe:
- A bomber jacket — last year the bomber jacket was massive, in 2017 it’s set to be even bigger. You can opt for pastel shades for a more girly look.
- Leggings or joggers — many shops now have trendy sporty bottoms, look out for leggings or joggers that are tapered and cuffed.
- Sports tops — if you’re brave enough to show of your belly, cropped tops and hoodies are wonderful when paired with a pair of leggings or jogging bottoms and bomber jacket. If you’re wanting something that covers you up a bit more, look out for loose-fitting sports jersey with mesh detailing.
- Trainers — there are so many different styles of trainers out there so forget heels. Ash trainers are the perfect choice, with a selection of sports-inspired styles to help you effortlessly kill this look.
These are the athleisure essentials. You can wear them together for the ultimate sports-luxe combo or just pick one or two for a more subtle look – why not wear a bomber jacket with a cute skirt for a feminine look?
There really are no rules with the look and you can do what you want. Play around and see what takes your fancy. Keep these rules in mind:
- Accessorise, accessorise, accessorise! — there’s nothing like a set of bangles, a statement necklace or rings to finish off an outfit. So add some jewels for a more polished looks.
- Wear a coat —whether you pick a denim jacket, bomber jacket or even a longer trench coat – a coat can add wonders to you look on the colder days.
- Cover your bum — I’m a women with a bit of a booty, so wearing leggings always makes me a bit self conscious. While there’s nothing wrong with a bit of jiggle – I don’t want to be worried about who is walking behind me. You can easily solve this problem by tying an item of clothing around your waist.
- Keep your workout clothes separate — if you are going to the gym, keep your workout wear separate to your athleisure wear so as to not to cross-contaminate fashion with fitness.
What do you think of this look, how you ever tried it?