Posted on March 22, 2017

Update Your Living Room Without Breaking The Bank

lifestyle

Update Your Living Room Without Breaking The Bank

No matter how much time, effort and money you invest into decorating your home, even the most perfect interiors can start to look a bit bland and in need of a refresh. The living room is one of the places we spend most of our day, so it’s only natural to become tired of our surroundings from time to time. While it can be exciting planning to redecorate your home, we’re not always in the position to pay for the expenses that may come with it. Luckily, you can update your living room and save money at the same time with these helpful tips!

Upcycle and recycle

Upcycling is the number one money saving way to spice up your interiors, and make your living room look even better than before. If you have an old piece of wooden furniture that could do with some attention, why not reinvent it by painting it a new shade? This gives you a chance to really get creative with colour choices, and have the freedom to choose from different paint finishes such as chalk paint for a one-of-a-kind, rustic feel.

Recycling old items found in the home is also a perfect way to freshen up your living room without spending anything at all. A great way to do this is by turning a piece of unwanted patterned fabric into a stylish throw or wall-hanging.

Make you walls a feature

Rather than covering the whole room, why not make one wall a ‘feature’ with some glitter wallpaper or a lick of bold paint? Alternatively, you could create a photo wall in your living room with a mixture of photos or artwork that inspires you, perhaps looking for a colour scheme that will match your living room’s aesthetic. You can then buy some cheap black photo frames to make your images look the real deal, and hang them in whatever way looks best to your artistic eye. Alternatively, you can create your photo wall with family photo’s if you prefer a more personal, homely feel.

Buy a funky rug

If your wooden floors or worn out carpet is making your living room lose it’s magic, consider investing in a new rug. The right rug can do wonders for a room, giving the illusion of more space while also creating a relaxed and cosy feel. With tonnes of amazing cheap rug’s out there to choose from, there’s no need to spend a fortune on this easy room update.

Source second-hand

Buying second hand furniture and homeware is a good way to go if you’re looking to save some cash. Search through charity shops and car boot sales for bits and pieces that stand out to you, or look online for people in your area selling second-hand items. Pre-loved items that the owners are now sick of could be the solution to your worn-out room woe’s, and the perfect way to update your room with unique items you may not find elsewhere.

Go green

Plants are the finishing touch to any home, and all they cost you is a little bit of love and attention. Adding some greenery to your living room will brighten up the space and also improve the air quality, which is a huge bonus. Go for a large houseplant in the corner of the room, or create a row of tiny plants in beautiful ceramic pots, to easily update any shelf or coffee table.

How do you update your living room?

• Reply Sarah March 22, 2017 at 7:20 am

Plants, prints, rugs and a throws! These are a must for me to make my living roo feel more homey. The downside to renting a furnished place is we have had no say so in the bigger objects, which are ones we would never choose ourselves, so trying to cover them up or draw the eye elsewhere in the room is a must! I would love to do a bold coloured feature wall but I can’t be doing with the hassle of putting it all back to magnolia once we move out!

Sarah recently posted…Things I do when I’m feeling down!My Profile

• Reply Lucy March 22, 2017 at 7:40 am

Upcyling gets my vote I wish I had more time to do it. Why fill a landfill when someone else will love your used treasures. This year I am making a concerted effort to chuck out my unwanted things. Great tips Lucy x

• Reply Gretch March 22, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Great tips! It’s actually the first time I’ve heard of upcycling, I think it’s a nice idea to re-paint and furnish old stuffs for a new look. Making a photo wall is also a great idea!

• Reply Amy March 22, 2017 at 12:31 pm

I’m so glad you included plants in this as that’s basically all I use to refresh a room haha! That and some new candles – IKEA is my best friend!
    Amy xx

• Reply KizzyDoll March 22, 2017 at 12:38 pm

These are super tips!! I love updating my home!! x
    KizzyDoll recently posted…| Dainty Life | Ch…Ch…ChangesMy Profile

• Reply Ankita Bardhan March 22, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Such awesome tips! I have tried painting the walls with bold colors mostly to revamp my living room, will give other tips a try too 🙂
    xx
    Ankita Bardhan recently posted…FBB Spring-Summer Collection – Best Buy Under 1000 INRMy Profile

• Reply Anca March 22, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I want to have some plants in the living room, but I can’t seem to find where to put them. So far I would bring some colour with a bunch of flowers and that works nice too.
    Anca recently posted…Bedtime routineMy Profile

• Reply Shireen L. Platt March 22, 2017 at 3:14 pm

A fancy rug will liven up a space fabulously, I have always said, when in doubt just buy a rug. LOL! And yes, I too source second hand decorative pieces, there are some really lovely ones for almost nothing.
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…Celebrating Women of Today With Pandora Spring 2017 CollectionMy Profile

• Reply Rowena @ rolala loves March 22, 2017 at 5:52 pm

These are fab ideas. I think that a feature wall or adding some new art is such a great and fun way to refresh a living space!
    Rowena @ rolala loves recently posted…Probiotics In SkincareMy Profile

• Reply Holly Shannon March 22, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Hopefully we’re going to actually decorate our living room at some point! I definitely want a feature wall with a really lovely contrasting colour!! 🙂
    Holly Shannon recently posted…Creating Space At HomeMy Profile

• Reply Erin March 22, 2017 at 9:32 pm

I love just moving things around in my living room! and a simple lamp can make so much more of a difference! I really want to repaint mine at the moment though!
    Erin recently posted…Spectrum Brushes Siren Smoke Set ReviewMy Profile

• Reply Laura March 22, 2017 at 11:26 pm

i love buying second hand/vintage as well. there’s lots of weird and wonderful things you can find! xx
    Laura recently posted…mother’s day cheesecakeMy Profile

• Reply Akaleistar March 23, 2017 at 1:39 am

I really like the idea of creating a photo wall 🙂
    Akaleistar recently posted…Inside the March ipsy Glam Bag!My Profile

• Reply Darina March 23, 2017 at 5:45 am

Good tips! I always update our living room with plants and flowers! I can really enjoy that!