How to blog when you have no life and nothing to write about

How to blog when you have no life and nothing to write about

I recently put out a Tweet asking for any request for blog posts.

This was one of the responses:

And here we are. Hello.

It might seem like many bloggers are always out doing stuff. At blog events, product launches, travelling, or even grabbing brunch at the new joint in town.

But if instead, you’re on your own at your computer every night, you’re probably wondering what you actually have to blog about.

Here’s the thing: because your blog is YOURS, you can write about what you want.

This means you don’t have to write about things you do on a day to day basis.

Think about it.

Beauty blogs: write about products, launches etc.

Interior blogs: write about home design etc.

Gaming blogs: Write about new games and consoles.

I could go on.

Not having a busy social life could work to your advantage with blogging as it means you have more time to follow the tips I’m about to share with you.

So grab a cuppa, read on and start planning:

How to blog when you have no life and nothing to write about

Think about what you love.

Blogs don’t have to be about what you do. Instead, make them about what you love. Whether it’s music, games, computers, animals, fitness, self-improvement or something else – have a blog that has a niche and serves a purpose.

Research.

Once you have figured out what you might like to talk about, then it’s time to turn to Twitter, Google or Pinterest for inspiration.

Search for blogs that talk about similar topics to what you want to talk about. What type of articles are they writing? What do you like about their blogs that you can bring to your own?

Remember: we’re getting inspiration from others – not copying them.

Plan your content.

Now is the time to start planning ideas.

Pick 6 topics you want to talk about and give them possible headlines. When you’ve decided what you want to talk about, then start drafting the content out. Write some subheadings to get you started and remember to include an intro, an ending and consider a call to action or a question to encourage engagement.

If you don’t have a blogging schedule, or you’re new, aim for two a week and see how it goes.

Interact.

This is where you want to use all your time you’re spending not socialising to reach out to other bloggers that are posting similar content to you. They’re likely to be interested in your blog if you have the same topics – so follow them on Twitter, reply to their tweets, comment on their blogs and start forming friendships.

Don’t limit yourself.

If you want to talk about more than one different topic, then do so. It’s fine to have more than one topic if that’s what you want to do. Many bloggers even have theme days, for example:

Monday: Beauty post.

Wednesday: Food or fitness post.

Friday: Motivational quote post.

So if you don’t have a life, don’t despair. Blogging isn’t just about showing what you get up to on a day to day basis. I’ll be sharing some blog post ideas tomorrow, so don’t forget to come back and check them out!

1. February 11, 2017 / 1:27 pm

I used to try and only write about one topic as a blogger (hence my blog name) but I couldn’t do it. I have too many different interests and hobbies and just felt uncomfortable writing about just one thing 🙂

These are great tips, thanks as always Corinne haha!

2. February 11, 2017 / 4:41 pm

This is brilliant. I thought for ages that I’d not find anything to write, now it’s more a case of finding the time to write and prepare all of the ideas I have for my blog! Thanks!

3. February 12, 2017 / 6:26 am

This is why nobody should compare themselves to others. There are so many interesting things to blog about, outside “life”. I like reading about the topics you mentioned.
    Anca recently posted…28 Provoking QuestionsMy Profile

4. February 12, 2017 / 10:39 am

It’s a relief to find that I’m not the only one who wonders whether my life is ‘enough’ to blog about. I’m often toying with the idea of writing about destinations I’d like to visit, such as Freetown, but I experience a block when I start considering whether I NEED to go there first. As someone who used to be long haul cabin crew, I have plenty of travel experience, I just don’t always want to write retrospectively 🙂 I’ll probably push myself to write about the things I want to do/plan on doing a little more after reading this.
    Laura Jayne recently posted…How is mummy shaming still a ‘thing’?My Profile

5. February 12, 2017 / 4:09 pm

As per always, a great post! Pinterest and other platforms are always a great source of inspiration for me as well.. Also, truly enjoyed reading your “extra” comments they are definitely one of the reason why I keep stopping by. Also, I believe that it is great that you decided to take the time to write this post as there way too many people who compare themselves or feel like they are not enough for not doing what others are doing and here I am referring to going to events and such and that is not okay. Everyone has their own space in the blogosphere and they do not have to be doing the same things as everyone else.
    Cafebiblioart recently posted…Bellamy Winter edition reviewMy Profile

6. February 12, 2017 / 4:29 pm

This is an excellent topic! I found that I function best as a blogger when I keep my blog as diverse as my interests are, really. I’m not one for blog events (don’t have those in my town anyway), travelling (can’t do it right now, decorating my new home) and etc…but I still feel I have a lot to blog about. We can all do that…we can say: I will blog about travel when I can afford to travel…and if that is never, I can always travel in my mind;).
    ivana split recently posted…Winter magic (my fashion illustrations of the day)/ Zimska čarolija (moje modne ilustracije dana)My Profile

7. February 12, 2017 / 5:49 pm

Not sticking to one topic and limiting yourself is the key. Then the only thing limiting g great content is yourself Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Aromatherapy AssociatesMy Profile

8. February 13, 2017 / 1:44 am

First of all, that’s awesome this blog post is inspired by a tweet response 🙂 I feel like I don’t have much to write about often, because so much of what I do is work and I specifically don’t want to blog about work—it’s supposed to be my own creative space! I love this “how-to” and it includes great ideas to kick the writing into gear!

Lexi of Lex Be Livin’
    Lexi recently posted…#LETSBELIVIN Favorites | Volume 12My Profile

9. February 13, 2017 / 6:06 am

I’m a total loser and I don’t have much of a social life, but I still enjoy writing about the little things like what I’m doing/feeling on a particular day! I also find it helps me sort out my thoughts, and gives my readers a bit of insight into who I am offline.
    Ela recently posted…Photos from my Ilocos Thanksgiving tripMy Profile

10. February 13, 2017 / 9:42 am

I can picture myself the following months on not having a social life after all my travel plans has already pushed through. lol. At least I have something to blog about!
    Alissa recently posted…10 Happy Things Vol. 7My Profile

11. February 13, 2017 / 9:30 pm

haha this is so me, I really have no life its so sad.

Erin || MakeErinOver

12. February 16, 2017 / 10:34 pm

This should literally the stage I am going through at the minute! I’ve got terrible writers block, as well as having zero time to start writing due to work. These are great tips, thank you for sharing!

13. March 4, 2017 / 4:53 am

Oh my. I’d be in a hole if I had to blog about what I did on a daily basis. It’s be a lot of eating! This is solid advice, though. Blogging about what you love and are passionate about is the absolute best advice ☺️

Breanna Catharina
    toocuteforlife.com

14. March 4, 2017 / 10:34 pm

I am the definition of not having a lufe. I’m an introvert, I don’t havs a job and don’t go to school so the majority of my time is spent on my phone reading blogs ans occasionaly writing and blogging.

What I do is think of past experiences I have had & get inpiration from other blogs. Youtube is also a great help because you don’t need to read the information, you can just watch multiple videos on a topic you want to blog about and take some notes. Writing is a blast from there

15. July 24, 2017 / 2:27 am

My wife and I started our blog a couple weeks ago.
    We hit the ground running, blogging about Health Wealth and Relationship advice.

Come check us out, we would love the feedback! hwrauthority.com