Posted on December 3, 2016

What I do at Christmas

christmas

how i spend christmas

This year will be the fifth Christmas I’ll be documenting the most wonderful time of the year on this blog. That’s the best thing about blogging, I’m sat here at my computer with Christmas songs playing on Songify reading through blog posts of my previous Christmas antics while looking for gifts for loved ones.

Tabs opened are my favourite places to get gifts, House of Fraser, Debenhams, John Lewis and those more realistic for someone with a budget like mine, Amazon and sites with things like second hand Cartier watches.

christmas-cartier

As I work in retail, I work on Christmas Eve. That sounds dreadful, but it’s actually a lot of fun. While people are usually frustrated when things are so busy, Christmas Eve is a lot different. Everyone is happy, there’s Christmas music playing and customers are a lot more forgiving when they can’t get what they want, or if they have to queue at the checkout.

We’ve all worked hard and are looking forward to a break. The end is in a sight of the hardest few weeks of the year and I’m daydreaming about a lie in after a week 7am starts.

When I finish work, I drive straight to my parents. We usually go to the pub with some of my family. There are times that I’m working too late, so I go home to an empty house and make myself a drink.

This happened last year and I was drinking Dad’s whiskey and Periscoped for about two hours. Is Periscope still even a thing?

Before bed, we usually Facetime my brother in Australia as it’s Christmas morning for them then. It’s the only time a year I talk to them, so it’s always nice.

On Christmas morning, I wake up to my Dad already downstairs. I’ll go and make a cup of tea and bring my gifts for my parents. Dad will then make me a bacon sandwich. Well, vegetarian bacon these days!

When Mum comes down, we open gifts. Usually this time of the day, my brother comes with his wife and from last year, my twin niece and nephew.

The leave and then we get dressed and have dinner. Last year we went to my Aunts which was nice as there were more people than just the three of us. I’m a more the merrier type of person at Christmas. This year is exciting because my brother is having Christmas with us, rather than boxing day.

After dinner, we tend to watch a bit of TV and then walk up to my Aunt and Uncles. We have a few drinks, cheese, snacks and chatter away while playing games and watching Christmas day TV. I really hate Mrs Browns Boys and hope that isn’t on this year. Stupid.

Boxing day is usually the day my brothers all bring their kids to my parents and we have a buffet style dinner. You know the traditional boxing day food. Gammon. Leftover turkey. Finger food.

I think we’re breaking more traditions this year by going to my other brother’s house in Bridlington rather than having them come here.

I’m usually quite hungover on the 27th, luckily I have it off this year and I’m not back until the 28th! This means I can sleep in and then make my way back home in my own time.

Then that’s it. Christmas is over for another year!

What do you usually get up to over the Christmas period? Please feel free to share your Christmas posts in the comments.

Also what’s on your Christmas wish list?

Whether it’s a brand new rose gold mac book or one of these pre owned Cartier watches, or even a kitten (yes please ;)), I hope Santa brings you what you want!

cartier_santos100

See my previous Christmas posts here:

untitled3

screen-shot-2016-11-23-at-18-50-22

• Reply Amy December 3, 2016 at 9:29 am

I’m actually breaking with tradition this year because it’s the first year me and my boyfriend are spending Christmas together instead of going off to our own parents’ houses so we’re doing both sides. Kinda gutted I won’t wake up at my parents house!
    Amy xx
    Amy recently posted…Always In My Makeup BagMy Profile

• Reply Mica December 3, 2016 at 12:07 pm

It sounds like a lovely way to spend Christmas! 🙂 Every now and then our plans will change up a little, but we always visit any family nearby. This year it means my sister’s coming to our place for lunch before we go to hubby’s parents in the evening, as my parents are on holiday. In previous years we’ve seen both families on Christmas day, or celebrated Christmas with each side of the family on a different day. No matter what the day looks like or how much or little travel there is, there is always family and food and fun so it’s a great way to spend Christmas 🙂
    Mica recently posted…Handbag Lover Gift GuideMy Profile

• Reply Ankita Bardhan December 3, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Hey that sounds like a wonderful way to spend your Christmas, surely will be picking some ideas up. Though I might have a totally different plan by the Christmas 🙂
    Ankita Bardhan recently posted…The Day You Didn’t See MeMy Profile

• Reply Elizabeth December 3, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Hahaha – I’m not going to answer as I have this exact post queued!

Elizabeth recently posted…Review: ‘Finding Audrey’ by Sophie KinsellaMy Profile

• Reply Nikki-ann December 3, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Sounds lovely 🙂 Christmas Day is usually spent with Mum & Dad and my brother, sister-in-law and the kids usually pop up for a couple of hours (I often spend Christmas Eve with the kids, tracking Santa!).
    Nikki-ann recently posted…An Evening with Johnny HerbertMy Profile

• Reply Kim Carberry December 3, 2016 at 7:35 pm

It sounds like you have a lovely Christmas….
    My fella works in retail too and loves the run up to Christmas.
    My teen tells me Mrs Browns boys is on this year….hehehe
    We always have Christmas at home with my kids. It’s lovely.
    Kim Carberry recently posted…More Christmas crafts from Baker Ross…My Profile

• Reply Akaleistar December 4, 2016 at 3:30 am

Your Christmas sounds lovely!
    Akaleistar recently posted…Make the Season Brighter with Paperless Post Company Christmas CardsMy Profile

• Reply Charmaine Ng December 4, 2016 at 4:57 am

Your Christmas sounds lovely and makes me wish I had a big family! I’m an only child so I’m super envious of you!
    – Charmaine
    Charmaine Ng recently posted…3 Essential Ingredients for a Balloon TakeoverMy Profile

• Reply Anca December 4, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Your plans for Christmas sound lovely. It’s nice to have a big family and spent it together. x
    Anca recently posted…DreamWorks Lights Lantern ExperienceMy Profile

• Reply Darina December 4, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Sounds lovely! I will spend Christmas Eve with my parents and Boxing Day with my parents in law
    Darina recently posted…Personal Update #2My Profile

• Reply Aimee December 5, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Aww your Christmas plans sound lovely! Usually my fiance and I spend Christmas Day at his parents, and I pop over to my mum’s (she lives 10 mins from his parents at the moment!) for the morning then back to his parents for lunch. Then back home in the evening, we used to spend the night at his parents but now we have a cat we come home. On Boxing Day we pick my mum up and go down to Bristol to visit my grandparents and basically have a second Christmas Day with them! And then it’s all over for another year. xx
    Aimee recently posted…December Goals!My Profile

• Reply Sophie Durrans December 14, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who hates Mrs Browns Boys! It’s just awful!