Help, my hair keeps falling out

hair loss tips

It wasn’t until my boyfriend sent me a photo of the clump of hair I had left on his bedroom floor by the mirror that I realised I had a problem.

Look, this is me:

Frizz Ease Flawlessly Straight, long hair

I have long hair and lots of it. I somehow have the ability constantly losing hair but it never getting any thinner. I’m magic, fear me. Although I’m not so much worried about going bald just at the moment, I’m starting to get frustrated with finding my hair everywhere. It’s a bit gross and very embarrassing.

So here are some tips I’ve been trying to follow lately to help prevent hair loss:

Limit use of heat.

This might seem obvious to some, but did you know that using a hair dryer not only damages your hair but can permanently damage your hair follicles?

Because of how frizzy, wild and wavy my hair is, I always use straighteners if I’m going to leave the house and be seen by muggles. To try and limit the use of heat, I try to wash my hair on an evening where possible so I don’t need to try it with a hair dryer.

Limit the use of dyes and chemicals.

People always comment on how good of a condition my hair is to say I straighten it almost daily, I think it’s because I don’t use any dyes or bleach on it.  Bleaching weakens your hair and by removing its natural pigment, it can change the structure of it so it’s more susceptible to damage.

I know having pastel hair is very on fleek right now, but remember to never dye it more often than every six weeks to avoid causing too much damage.

Don’t tug your hair too tight.

Wearing hair in a tight ponytail, braids or other hair styles where it’s fastened with clips can also cause hair loss if you’re wearing your hair like this on a regular basis.

Use a decent hair brush.

Using a rubbish brush can leave your hair, well, rubbish. Aim for brushes with natural fibres and never use a brush when it’s wet, opt for a comb instead.

Consume enough iron.

We all know that not having enough iron is bad for you and can lead to anaemia, but did you know that anaemia disrupts the supply of nutrients to your follicles. You can get iron from red meat, fish and green chemicals such as kale, spinach and kale.

Consume enough protein.

A deficiency in protein can lead to dry and weak hair causing it to fall out. Getting enough protein can help to provide the amino acids that strengthen hair. It can be found in shampoos, but it’s protein from your diet that will help improve the condition of your hair and prevent hair loss if you eat it in large enough quantities more than a shampoo!

Besides containing protein, many foods rich in protein also contain Vitamin B-12.

Eat enough.

Some of us are probably thinking about dieting some time after the new year. Too many stuffing balls, innit. But if you’re not getting enough calories by going on a silly crash diet, it may lead to temporary hair loss. Your body needs minerals and vitamins to build and maintain your hair.

If you are wanting to lose weight, make sure you take it steady and feed yourself, otherwise you may end up losing more than just pounds.

Reduce stress.

Stress can cause us to lose hair, so make sure you’re getting enough time to relax and do the things you enjoy doing, this is really important if you have a busy lifestyle or job. Things like meditation, yoga, exercise, or even a glass of wine while watching the Gilmore Girls with no other distractions around can help!

Go to the doctor.

Of course, before you consider something like a wig or FUE hair transplant, know when to take yourself to the doctor.

If you’re the amount of hair that’s falling out is more than you would like and you’re starting to worry about it, then it’s important to go to your GP. While it’s normal for hair to fall out, if it starts falling out more than usual, or fast at an early age, or you’re getting bald spots on your scalp and eyebrows – it’s time to seek medical advice.

Does your hair fall out a lot?

1. December 2, 2016 / 8:12 am

The one thing my boyfriend hates about living with me is the fact he find my hair everywhere. I’m pretty sure I’ve broke the hoover because of the amount of hair it has to suck up. I’m a bugger for wearing my hair constantly in a very tightly pulled back pony and I’ve never thought much of ut until I started to notice how thin certain parts of my hairline had become, they where so patchy and full of snapped hairs – yup, it was the tight ponys! I try and limit how often I have my hair tied back but it’s hard because of work!

Sarah recently posted…Walt Disney World 2016: Part 3 – Day 2My Profile

2. December 2, 2016 / 9:02 am

There was a time that I lost very much hair, it is so a seasonal thing I think. Now it is healthy again. I don’t use much products and no coloring either
    Darina recently posted…Personal Update #2My Profile

3. December 2, 2016 / 9:23 am

I had a period with a lot of stress and at that time my hair fell a lot. I agree with everything you said. xx
    Anca recently posted…10 Good thingsMy Profile

4. December 2, 2016 / 10:04 am

This is me, but it always has been, even when I was a kid, my Mum used to complain the shower would block after me, despite me having much shorter hair than both my sisters. She always points it out when I come home now too. I don’t really heat it much, or do any of the other things (though I do dye it every couple of months), and besides, I definitely did none of these things as a child, it’s just how I have always been, and I still have loads of hair! If it gets to the point where I start balding, I’ll start worrying. For now, we just fitted a new shower in our bathroom and I got a waste pipe with a hair trap which you can easily pull out and clean and means you don’t block the drain or gross out family members! Not the most practical solution for everyone, but it has been pretty useful! x
    Anna International recently posted…Forget Halloween! The Best Way to Use Pumpkin is in Ravioli!My Profile

5. December 2, 2016 / 10:09 am

I have written so many hair posts by now since I have tried everything! Your tips are really good, solid, basic tips. I am almost an expert by now on hair care since I ended up going to so many doctors. Currently I am taking cod liver oil capsules.
    Fashion and Frappes recently posted…My Favourite Way of Showing SkinMy Profile

6. December 2, 2016 / 10:33 pm

I 100% agree that going on a drastic diet will cause hair loss and so does stress! I also don’t do anything to my hair, I leave it at its normal, virgin state as I have very thin, fine hair and can’t afford to lose any.
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…Christmas Beauty Gift Guides For The CluelessMy Profile

7. December 2, 2016 / 10:36 pm

I feel your pain, I lose hair all over the house and after I’ve washed it big clumps come out in my brush – it’s not cool! I think I need to invest in a tangle teezer or a brush that’ll be kinder to my hair!
    Amy xx
    Amy recently posted…Always In My Makeup BagMy Profile

8. December 3, 2016 / 2:00 pm

I was having a similar issue over Summer, so I’ve taken to plaiting my hair instead of using a hairdryer, and it’s helped a lot more after showering! 🙂 Tania Michele xx
    Tania Michele recently posted…Insta Love #8My Profile

9. December 3, 2016 / 2:53 pm

I’ve managed to lose a LOT of my hair so my eyes instantly zoned in on this post. Eating enough iron is a huge one – as you need a lot more to maintain healthy hair than non-specialised professionals might have you believe. A good, solid list of tips so thank you for sharing!

10. December 3, 2016 / 11:23 pm

My hair is rediculously thick, like so heavy, and I loose my hair ALL the time, there is a wig worth everytime I go in the shower lol – I have no idea why I am not bald, I asked my cousin (who is a hairdresser) why this happens, she says it is totally normal unless you have bald patches.. your hair naturally replaces itself all the time, she recommends getting it cut regularly to maintain health and using a good conditioner 🙂

Erin || MakeErinOver || Happy Blogmas!
    Erin recently posted…BLOGMAS: Teen Christmas Gift Guide 2016My Profile

11. Caroline
    December 4, 2016 / 2:47 pm

Yep my hair is falling out in clumps, but because I have Graves disease. I killed the vacuum cleaner 🙁

12. March 22, 2017 / 8:29 am

Corinne I love your blog with awesome information and other things its really great website please keep it up 🙂