Posted on November 13, 2016

UK City Breaks

lifestyle

uk city breaks

There’s nothing more I love than a city break, both in the UK and in Europe. In the past 10 years I’ve hardly had any sun holidays – all my trips have been a weekend in a European City or in the UK.

While going abroad is always fun, trips in the UK can be a lot more convenient. You don’t have to faff around changing money, you can drive so then you’re not trapped by travel times and having to figure out public transport and you can experience some of the UK’s fantastic history and architecture.

uk city breaks

Glasgow.

Glasgow is home to the Glasgow Science Centre which has a spectacular state-of-the-art fulldome digital projection system. Here you can go on journeys through the solar system, into the Milky Way Galaxy and beyond, offering a truly out of this world experience led by an expert team of astronomers and science communicators. There’s also hundreds of interactive exhibits that will fascinate you for hours.

There’s the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum which is one of the most visited free-to-enter museums in the UK. The museum has 22 themed galleries displaying 8000 objects with themes such as World Cultures, Ancient Egypt, Natural History and Arms and Armour.

Two must visit restaurants are Two Fat Ladies at The Buttery and Gamba fish and seafood restaurant.

Find hotels in Glasgow at InterContinental Hotel for a perfect city break.

Newcastle.

I went to Newcastle for 3 nights a few years ago and had a fantastic time.

The Centre for Life is a great hands on museum with interactive science activities for people of all ages. Plus a fantastic 4D ride that sparked my love for 4D rides. Beamish isn’t far from Newcastle, for those that enjoy Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian life. It’s basically a recreation of a village from the olden days with things like an old dentist, school and even an old fashioned sweet shop and I remember going there with my parents when I was a child. There are many more museums, but those are my favourites.

There are so many places to eat and drink, we ended up meeting up with some people who took us to some nightclubs and we had a great night!

York.

York is beautiful. I recommend going when it’s going to be decent weather because you’re going to want to stroll around this charming city and sit at a bar by the river with a beer.

York Minster is one of the most overwhelming places I’ve visited. I went on a school trip as a teenager and remember how immense it felt. You know when you have those moments where you feel really grounded, peaceful and small. Similar to how it would feel laid in the middle of a field looking up at the stars in total silence? That’s how York Minster felt to me. I had goosebumps on my neck while we walked around with the organ music playing in the background. It was stunning.

York Castle Museum and York Minster are also worth visiting.

Leeds.

Now it wouldn’t be right not mentioning my home city of Leeds. I’ve lived in Leeds for around 6 years and the amount of bars, shops and restaurants opening all the time make it an ideal place for a city break. When I went to London in July and it was horrendously busy, I just keep thinking I want to go back to Leeds – it’s basically London but with less people and you can walk everywhere. I might be bias saying that, but I don’t care.

Leeds as various museums, such as the City Museum, the Royal Armouries, Thackray Medical Museum and Emmerdale’s Studio Tour. For family entertainment outside the centre there’s Cardigan Fields which has a bowling alley, a cinema, lazar tag, trampolining and restaurants.

For bars and restaurants, you’ll be spoilt for choice. Some of my favourites are Little Tokyo’s, Hedonist Project, Revs de Cuba, and Bundobust.

What are your favourite UK citys?

untitled3

• Reply Darina November 13, 2016 at 10:02 am

I’ve never been to these cities, but Newcastle is on my travel wishlist!
    Darina recently posted…Where Do I write my Novel?My Profile

• Reply Kaitlynn Marie November 13, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I’ve never been to the UK at all but I’ll keep this in mind when I do go. These all seem like lovely places. I never want to go like I’m a tourist though, are there any great places that the locals love?
    Kaitlynn Marie recently posted…Get To Know Me: The Meaning Behind My NameMy Profile

• Reply Matt Maidment November 13, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Some really great recommendations here! I’ve been thinking of doing a couple of UK city breaks before Christmas and this has filled me with inspiration! Thanks 🙂

Matt // http://www.theguyontrend.co.uk
    Matt Maidment recently posted…THE PLAYLIST | SEPTEMBER SOUNDSMy Profile

• Reply Trona November 13, 2016 at 2:41 pm

I love Glasgow, I only live 20 minutes away so I’m there a lot. I did just recently have a mini break there which was amazing, I’d definitely love to take mini-breaks in more UK cities. I might to Edinburgh next (it’s only 30 minutes away)
    Trona recently posted…A Mini-break in Glasgow at CitizenM HotelMy Profile

• Reply Erin November 13, 2016 at 3:28 pm

When I think of York all I can think of is the Viking museum, I went there as a kid and loved it lol I love Glasgow though, one of my favourites, Edinburgh is good too 🙂

Erin || MakeErinOver

• Reply Tania Michele November 13, 2016 at 6:30 pm

I remember going to York when I was about 9/10, and I loved it – even though it rained all week! 🙂 Tania Michele xx
    Tania Michele recently posted…A Pretty Big Superdrug Haul | Part 2My Profile

• Reply Akaleistar November 13, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I’m a sucker for a good museum 🙂
    Akaleistar recently posted…5 Ways to Do Good This Holiday SeasonMy Profile

• Reply Jenny November 13, 2016 at 9:28 pm

I’ve never been to Leeds or Newcastle, but I would like to visit them at some point 🙂 It’s always nice to visit new places x
    Jenny recently posted…French road trip part 3: Arras & PierrefondsMy Profile

• Reply Rowena @ rolala loves November 14, 2016 at 3:41 am

The only UK city, I’ve ever visited is London but I’d love to go back and explore some of the others you’ve mentioned here some time.
    Rowena @ rolala loves recently posted…Seattle Travel DiaryMy Profile

• Reply Amy November 14, 2016 at 10:19 am

Yes to all of these! My friend lives in Glasgow and it’s such a lovely city, I’m from
    Newcastle originally and just love it and I live so close to Leeds and York that I’m visiting all the time – best choices!
    Amy xx
    Amy recently posted…House Renovation | One Year OnMy Profile

• Reply Anca November 15, 2016 at 10:29 am

I’ve been to a few of them, but I would like to visit them again, there are so many things to see that is impossible to see everything in day-trips. x
    Anca recently posted…St. Giles’ CathedralMy Profile

• Reply Lucy November 16, 2016 at 3:46 am

Some great suggestions, York is beautiful. I’m a great believer in seeing the place where you live before venturing abroad. Staying over means more time to enjoin what is on offer Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Baby essentialsMy Profile

• Reply Rebecca November 19, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Sheffield. I was born and bred here but moved to the South Coast. It’s only now I truly appreciate how good Sheffield is for shopping, dining, nightlife and leisure.
    Rebecca recently posted…Why I Love AutumnMy Profile