My biggest secret as a teen

5-things-34

Remember being a teenager when really stupid things seemed like a really massive deal?

Looking if your friends found out your parents shopped at Netto when I was a teen, your life was over.

Well, I’m about to tell you my secret.

2016-20

And you’re going to laugh because it’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard of.

My birthday is in July. This means I’m the youngest.

My best friend was a year younger than me and I remember that it happened to her first and I felt a little jealous. I mean, I had been taught about it at school and the whole idea of THAT happening to ME was disgusting and sounded like something I’d want to put off as long as possible. But I didn’t.

As time went on, it happened to more and more of my friends. There was a tiny girl in our year and when it happened to her, she told her friends who told everyone else and she was really embarrassed. and I was really jealous.

In year 9, I’d lie about it. Hint to my friends it was happening to me. Hold my stomach in pain around once a month. I started to think there was something wrong with me and that everyone would find out. I didn’t even care if there was something wrong with me, I just didn’t want everyone to find out because I always felt like an outside and was sure this was just another thing that was typical for someone like me. Another way to be different. Another way for someone to take the piss out of me.

I remember I wrote in my diary about it once. I let my best friend read my diary forgetting I wrote it and then realised. She started reading the sentence and I wrestled it off her. My big secret. It was almost out.

As a child, I always dreamed of having a big secret. I seemed mysterious and interesting. But this, I hated.

Then finally on bonfire night 16 years ago, I went to the toilet and there it was. The start of my first period. Very light, to the point where I wondered if it was a period at all.

The next day, this was a period alright.

In sex education, they say you lose about a teaspoon of blood during a period. If that is the case, then there’s something wrong with me for sure.

Then that was that. I was 14 years 4 months old when I got my first period. Which doesn’t seem too old, but most of my friends started at 11 or 12 and it make me feel very young and inexperienced.

Looking back, I feel like an idiot for lying about it, of making out I was having period pains to just infer to others I had started my periods because I was ashamed.

Kids are really stupid and insecure.

What was your biggest secret as a teen?

Untitled3 copy

1. November 18, 2016 / 7:53 am

I NEVER undersood why everyone talked about it. I was the last in my friendship group to get my period and the last thing I wanted to do was shout about it. I remember the first girl in our group to get her’s she came into school with the biggest, daftest grin on her face saying ‘it’s happening, it’s happening right now!’ and I just couldn’t get excited for her – I didn’t want to know what was going on down there! It wasn’t about being embarassed or prudish or anything, to me it just felt kinda personal and something I just had to get on with, it didn’t make me feel special!

Sarah recently posted…20 Christmas Blog Post Ideas!My Profile

2. November 18, 2016 / 8:56 am

There is a lot of peer pressure as a teenager. I didn’t have these issues at school, there were other things though.
    Anca recently posted…My birthday in LondonMy Profile

3. November 18, 2016 / 9:38 am

I got my period really early, probably about 11 years old, and honestly that was my secret! I developed much faster than all my friends (I mean I practically started growing boobs before I left primary school) and I hated it. It’s a shame that girls aren’t confident enough to discuss this stuff openly, so both you and I would have known we were perfectly normal and healthy!
    Beth x | Adventure & Anxiety

4. November 18, 2016 / 3:18 pm

If we only knew better when we were younger. I didn’t get mine until I was 15. A healthy study I read awhile ago actually stated that getting your period at an earlier age actually increases the risk for certain health issues so that’s something to feel better about.
    Rowena @ rolala loves recently posted…Dine Out : Din Tai FungMy Profile

5. November 18, 2016 / 4:37 pm

I started mine when I was 11. I remember thinking I’d started mine, but it turned out I’d just eaten too much beetroot! Haha. But not long after that, it did start. I had a lot of secrets as a teen, none of which I’m prepared to make public. There’s so much pressure on kids, to fit in and to be seen as ‘normal’; it’s no wonder they keep secrets! x
    Aimee recently posted…An interview with…twentysomethingxo!My Profile

• January 6, 2017 / 11:25 pm

Aww! This made me laugh out loud! Damn beetroot! X

6. November 18, 2016 / 4:49 pm

That was one of the things I really hated to talk about. My period started way earlier than my friend and I was hiding it from people because there were some people giving weird reactions about it. “How could it start that early… there must be something wrong with you” and so son, these are the things you don’t want to hear! x
    Ela recently posted…DIY Leaf Gift Tags for Personalised GiftsMy Profile

7. November 18, 2016 / 8:21 pm

mine was actually the exact opposite, I got mine in primary 6, so I was 10. 10!! We barely knew what one even was and there I was with it, and everyone thought it was gross. I had to use the teachers bathroom because I was terrified of being found out by other girls and being laughed at. It was a nightmare. Then I went to secondary school (at age 11-12) and all of a sudden everyone was obsessing over getting it and wishing it was happening to them, I just used to think *just you wait* I remember my best friend who was a year and a half older than me cried when I got mine before her, she was so mad at me. until she got hers and apologised lol. Life sucks as a teen. And periods always suck!

Erin || MakeErinOver
    Erin recently posted…Make Up: The Autumnal EditMy Profile

8. November 18, 2016 / 11:06 pm

Mine wasn’t my period, but rather my lack of sex education. I literally knew nothing about sex until I reached 16/17. And even then that was through insecure teens. For whatever reason, I never had a ‘sex talk’, a sex education class or anything. It was horrible, I had to pretend I knew what I was talking about when in reality probably nobody knew nothing haha!

9. November 18, 2016 / 11:19 pm

Jajajajaja has laughed me a bit with this, there are two things we have in common, I am also years in July and my first rule came at age 14! And yes, I remember that my friends annoyed me a lot and even said that it would be sterile, they were too cruel, but thank God I was not really distressed with the arrival of my first period, but when I arrived I felt a little relief!
    Rebeca recently posted…Probando las brochas ovaladasMy Profile

10. November 18, 2016 / 11:57 pm

I got my period when I was 11, had no bloody idea wtf it was as my mum never spoke to me about it so I freaked out big time and thought I was about to bleed to death…thanks mum.
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…FASHION FRIDAY: Recent Fashion HaulsMy Profile

11. November 19, 2016 / 3:56 pm

That’s so funny because I feel like I had the total opposite experience – I started when I was about 12 but didn’t really tell anyone because not everyone else had started yet and I thought everyone would think I was gross hahaaa.
    Amy xx