Things I’m going to stop doing when I’m 30.

stop30

Oh wow. It’s almost here. One week to go. July 2nd.

I’ve been on count down for, well what feels like my whole life.

30.

Thirty.

Three. Oh.

It sounds likes such an old age. A mature age.

I look at myself in the mirror and I can hardly believe it. I don’t feel like I look like a 30 year old, I still feel like a child.

LOOK AT MY FACE, I MEAN, IS THIS THE FACE OF A 30 YEAR OLD?

30 year old ugly stupid women

I think as you get older, you change in unexpected ways. It’s frightening how quick life seems to have gone. It’s frightening how different your life is to how you dreamt it as a child.

People always say that they stop caring as much about what people think as they get older and I think that’s true. Because you realise a few things about life. Like how sometimes you do have to put yourself first, or do something that might hurt someone else. Because we have to create our own happiness, sometimes that means having nasty conversations with others, or doing something that might upset others.

It’s not easy, is it, this life thing?

I went through that stage where I wanted to be nice, to be liked by all, to find a win-win for everyone so nobody can get hurt. But as I’ve grown older, I’ve learnt that’s not always possible.

So here are some things that I’m going to stop doing when I’m 30, to hopefully live a more content life.

Stop worrying so much.

I’m a worrier. I worry obsessively and turn the smallest thing into a massive deal that is surely going to end in something tragic, like I’m going to get sacked, or I might die.

I need to stop this because none of those things have ever happened.

Be honest even when it’s hard.

Sometimes you’ve just got to bite the bullet. There’s so many times I’ve done things I’ve not wanted to in some way because I’ve not wanted to have an awkward conversation with someone or piss someone off.

When we have only one life, sometimes we have to do what we want to do with it. There’s sometimes not much difference between selfless and being a fool.

Stop spending so much.

When I finished university at 22, I went straight into full time employment, very quickly found myself in a management position. Because I have no responsibilities apart from myself, I’ve always been able to just buy what I want.

If I want an Xbox, I buy it, the new iPhone? I get it. Macbook. Clothes. Shoes. Makeup.

I’ve had my fun now, I’ve had my time of spoiling myself now it’s time to be sensible and start tracking what I save.

I had a shock a few weeks ago when I worked out I spent almost 400 in a month in Tesco on Morrisons. Just on me. Because every day I would buy prepared fruit, prepared salads.. it was all really healthy, but all really expensive.

I’ve been giving myself a budget and tracking it. I’ve been taking lunch to work rather than buying it every day. It’s time to get my act together and save for important things. Like maybe a mortgage.

Stop putting myself down.

I treat myself like shit.

Seriously. I constantly think bad things about myself all the time. I’m fat I’m ugly I’m stupid I’m dick head and I’m idiot.

I need to just shut the fuck up with those thoughts and give myself a bit more credit. I’m not perfect, but I’m not awful.

Stop caring so much what others think.

Being a worry, one of the worries is caring about what other people think.

This often stops me doing things I want for fear of being judged, or for hurting someone else.

In my 30’s is where this stops. I’m going to start doing more things that make me happy, regardless of others.

Of course, that doesn’t mean being a total arsehole and saying fuck you to everyone. It’s more about being brave in my decisions and doing the right thing for me.

WHO IS WITH ME?

The. End.

Untitled3 copy

1. June 25, 2016 / 9:19 am

Oh I need to stop doing most of these things too, especially that one about worrying too much about almost everything! Good luck with this list and seriously you don’t look a day over 22 🙂
    Matea recently posted…Love letter to my legendary Mango jeansMy Profile

2. June 25, 2016 / 10:49 am

you definitely don’t look almost 30! and these are such good goals to set for yourself, too! xx
    Laura recently posted…cornish pixieMy Profile

3. June 25, 2016 / 12:11 pm

All the things are really great, being a little more careful with the budget means you’ll have more money for other things like holidays. x
    Anca recently posted…Electric MountainMy Profile

4. June 25, 2016 / 3:04 pm

Love the article, I definitely have to learn a few things from it like not spending so much ahaha. Great work, love it. Thanks for sharing Corinne!

Osiarah xx

5. June 25, 2016 / 3:45 pm

I know the thought of turning 30 can be a little scary but I swear, Corinne, it will be the best time of your life. I found myself, my confidence and maturity when I turned 30. And I know you will too. xx
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…REVIEW: Sea Flora Iridaea Light Facial MasqueMy Profile

6. June 25, 2016 / 4:31 pm

I have a year until I hit 30 and I don’t think I will feel any different but I think that big milestones are a good time to reflect on things, I think my list of things to work on will be very similar to yours.

Grace
    x
    Grace recently posted…Running Two BlogsMy Profile

7. June 25, 2016 / 6:10 pm

You definitely don’t look 30 to me, age is such a funny thing now though, 30 year olds look a lot younger than they used to probably because I’m close to that age haha! I definitely agree as you get older you care a bit less about what others think but I should probably try and care even less too. You should definitely stop putting yourself down!
    Amy xx
    Amy recently posted…Off The ShoulderMy Profile

8. June 25, 2016 / 6:44 pm

Good luck with these – I know they’re struggles that a lot of people deal with and find hard to overcome. Also happy birthday in advance!

Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

9. June 25, 2016 / 10:25 pm

I think these sound like pretty awesome aims! I’m certainly already budgeting better and trying to spend less money on food – it just feels like such a waste… SO happy I’ve managed to stop worrying as much lately, it’s beyond liberating – I hope you manage it xx
    Fleur recently posted…FOTD: Start of the Summer EveningsMy Profile

10. June 26, 2016 / 1:34 am

I love your list! I’ve gotten stuck in a negative thought cycle, and now, I’m working on getting myself out of it. Life is never what you expect it to be, but I guess that’s what makes it interesting 🙂

11. June 26, 2016 / 1:07 pm

You don’t look 30 at all, but I hope you have a fab birthday! I really need to stop doing a lot of those things too, especially putting myself down and worrying what other people think. Also, why IS prepared fruit so expensive?! Ridiculous! I hope you manage to stop these things, especially putting yourself down!

12. June 26, 2016 / 1:42 pm

I dunno, being 5 years younger makes me think I should start doing these things now and then hopefully by the time I’m 30 I’ll have stopped doing at least a couple of them. Also, what are Morrisons? lol….
    Kaitlynn Marie recently posted…June Birchbox ReviewMy Profile

13. June 26, 2016 / 4:34 pm

You really do not look 30! But I have decided most of the same, my main is now just to realise we only live once, it sounds so cheesy but if you don’t do it, you wont ever do it. So I have swapped career paths now and going for what I really want to do, even if it is scary!

Erin || MakeErinOver
    Erin recently posted…HUGE HAULMy Profile

14. June 26, 2016 / 9:22 pm

Hate to put a damper on this, but I’m a few past three oh and I told myself all these.. but I still do most.lol
    You however may be different. 🙂
    I wish you a Happy Birthday! and welcome to the club.. That’s the club of not looking your age. 🙂

Caroline.x

15. June 26, 2016 / 10:06 pm

Before you stop caring what people have to say about you I want to tell you.. you are a wonderful person! hola.. you have been in a management position since graduating uni! that is awesome! can you write tips on that! I am considering specializing in Nursing management! one more thing.. stop looking to the things that didn’t went well or “age appropriate ” and keep looking at how mature you are and how you over come the things that were annoying you. The more you are comfortable in you .. the more you can see the good stuff. I learned that the hard way so..
    Hager recently posted…Unraveal the IntrovertMy Profile

16. July 2, 2016 / 4:13 pm

You definitely don’t look 30! Totally agree about the weirdness of getting older and things not being like what you thought they would. The no worries train is something I really need to get on board with!

17. July 16, 2016 / 5:26 pm

Hope you had a brilliant birthday! I’m heading towards the big three-oh myself and it’s funny how much reflection it prompts… I’d have to agree with your list – some of my main issues are there. My sister once told me that once you turn 30, you almost automatically stop caring what others think. I’m hoping this is true! How have you been getting on so far?