Posted on June 13, 2016

Living alone.

lifestyle

lifechat

There was no #socialbloggers chat on Saturday, so it’s time for a chatty post this Monday. Normal service will resume next week.

It’s happening people.

You know how I keep going on about how I’ll probably end up living alone and being a crazy cat person?

That half-joking nightmare is one step closer to becoming a reality.

I’ve decided that I want to live on my own.

It’s something I had been considering for a few months. But I wasn’t sure if I should stay here for another year or not because:

• My housemate and I already discussed staying another year.
  • I don’t actually hate my housemate and didn’t want to leave her financially unstable.

But a letter came for us through the post – a letter that said our tenancy is almost up and we can either take out another year contract, another 6 month contract or a month by month contract.

After thinking it over, I texted Christine and told her I think we should go month by month as I didn’t want to be living her over the winter. That opened a discussion and basically, she wants to live with her boyfriend at some point and I want to live in my own, so it’s a win win.

This means I’m currently obsessed over finding my new house. I’ve got properties saved in my book marks, on my rightmove app.. the frustrating thing is they all want someone ASAP and I’m looking to move around September/October.

I’ve been in love with a 2 bed flat that’s free from October 1st, but I can’t view it until August 1st. Now I’m in love with a 3 bedroomed house that’s available from 22nd July, but I’ve just found out someone is in the process of getting all the paper work sorted to take it.

Adult problems, eh?

I always thought I’d end up living alone at some point. But I didn’t think it would be quite this soon. Although I’m excited for it. I’ve been craving it.

I’m approaching 30. A few weeks to go. And the truth is, I’m fed up in this house. For a few reasons.

Firstly, the kitchen and living room is awful. There’s an ugly sofa in the living room that the landlord wouldn’t remove so we could replace it. The kitchen is tiny and there’s no counter space to prep food. Making my lunches for work is a bit of a mission between balancing tupperware on the oven hobs and packets of veg on the microwave.

Secondly, like I said, I’m almost 30 and I’m fed up of living out of my room. I have everything in my room and spend all my time here like a teenager because the living room is doom. I have so much stuff now, too. It’s all crammed in here and I want my bedroom to be just that – my bedroom. And have a space for my computer and blogging either in the corner of a living room or in a second bedroom. I also want to leave my towels in the bathroom rather than hung up on my wardrobe door. Like an adult. IMAGINE THAT HUH?

Thirdly, this house is so cold. Even on really hot days, where everyone is saying how hot it is – my house is still cool. The sun doesn’t sit on it at all. From around October until last month, I’ve been freezing my arse off thanks to my wooden floor, the fireplace in my room and the heating not actually heating the house up for a good few hours. I spent all autumn, winter and spring in PJs covered by onesie and a dressing gown, then with a hat and slippers on. When times got really hard, I had a hot water bottle down my top. I was pretty miserable and I 100% am not having another winter like that! I was so unproductive as it was hard to blog or do anything when that cold. I don’t go to work 5 days a week and work my ass off to make money, to then spend that money living in a house that’s so cold it makes me cry. NOPE.

Fourthly, you can hear everything in this house. That includes my neighbour who is apparently allergic to everything and sneezes from around 7am – midnight about every 5 minutes. He also makes these weird growling noises which I’ve not worked out if it’s him singing, morning, a dog crying or a sick person. It starts of like a dog howling but then turns into something that sounds human like. I think he’s torturing someone. I might be next. I must get out while I can.

It is a bit daunting, of course. At the moment, Christine and I split the adult type stuff up. She sorts council tax, electric and gas while I sort rent, Internet and water. I’m going to have to do all the adult stuff by myself. Also we’ve lived together for so long that I’m not actually sure what we bought together, what’s mine and whats hers.

I’m also a little afraid of feeling lonely – but surely that won’t be too bad because I only see Christine about once a week now. I think I need to be a bit strict with myself about making plans though and aim to do more things socially. I can get a bit stuck in my head and just want to gym/blog/eat well – then decline social things because it will mean a missed gym session, a missed day of blogging and a hangover which usually means eating crap.

I’ve not been sleeping well at all since I made this choice, if I’m honest. It’s not because I think I regret it, I think it’s because I’m obsessing over finding the perfect place, I’m worried I’ll find something I love but not be able to get it so have to settle for something else. I’m stressed about getting the time off work for moving as I don’t have a date yet and I’m having so many nightmares about moving, about viewing houses and signing contracts. I’m having dreams where my teeth all crumble and fall out while I’m doing these things.

Teeth falling out is supposed to symbolise change. A transition. A turning point in your life and the anxiety around that. And that’s what’s happening, I guess.

It’s been on my mind a lot, so I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Thanks for listening. I’ll be sure to keep you updated on my house hunt.

Wish me luck.

• Reply Matea June 13, 2016 at 8:58 am

Wishing you all the best of luck with finding the perfect place – this change is so exciting and I think you’re gonna be so happy once the stressful part is done (which is perfectly normal because apartment hunting can be a total nightmare)! I started living on my own when I was 18 (nowdays I’m living with my bf) and it was a great time, I learned so much about myself and life in general (especially how to handle all those boring adult things) and I’m sure you’re gonna enjoy the new place and the freedom that comes with it so much! 🙂 Good luck!
    Matea recently posted…Visit Šibenik: An iPhone Photo DiaryMy Profile

• Reply Tracy June 13, 2016 at 9:53 am

Are you a change-hater too? I’m about to move back to the US (to my mom’s house! I’m almost 37.) I’m basically in a daze with a two-page to-do list that needs to be done in two weeks (my bags actually leave in 8 days, haven’t actually packed a single thing yet.) I hate change and get massive anxiety about it, but it always turns out fine in the end. Just get through it!

I lived on my own from 19, and it’s the best. Don’t worry so much about finding the perfect place (it doesn’t exist) and just focus on the most important things (for me, that’s safety, a decent kitchen, and a place to wash my clothes.) Focus on all the things you’ll be able to do there – wear t-shirts indoors and not freeze, use the living room, keep your towels in the bathroom! For me, getting excited about the benefits of the new place usually takes the edge off the nerves. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll find something great!

• Reply Anca June 13, 2016 at 10:15 am

I’m sure you will love living on your own. I liked living alone, even though my situation was strange. From living with my mother I went to live with my boyfriend, we got married. A couple of years after that I was living alone while he was in UK. Well, in less than 1 year I was in UK too after we’ve decided to move here definitively. But for 11 months on and off (he came to see me), I was alone. It was hard not to be able to spend time with my husband, but it was amazing to live alone… I could do anything I wanted, I could cook my strange meals and I could dance with the dog without someone looking at me and laughing.
    Anca recently posted…Knaresborough Bed RaceMy Profile

• Reply Ela June 13, 2016 at 10:27 am

Finding a house is really hard, especially when the ones you like either too expansive or they are gone. It would be nightmare to live in that house, so I understand why you don’t want to spend another winter there and once you get to certain age, you want want things to be certain way and have your own things. Once you find a place and settle down, you’ll see that everything will get better. Uncertainties scare us, that’s what you are going through at the moment. I wish you all the best and I hope you will find a place you truly love asap! x
    Ela recently posted…Wedding Dress – Everything You Need to KnowMy Profile

• Reply Jackie Harrison June 13, 2016 at 11:20 am

Once you live on your own you will said why did I not do this sooner trust me…. Best of luck in finding a place that meets your needs and your pocket do not stress out think of the way you will decor it and how you could enjoy all the rooms.
    Jackie Harrison recently posted…HELPFUL INFORMATION TO CARE FOR ROSACEA SKINMy Profile

• Reply Carina June 13, 2016 at 11:57 am

Wish you all the luck in the world to find your new perfect home. Living alone is quite nice, though scary at the beginning, once you’ve settled in you’ll love it!

xo
    Carina recently posted…Nautical OutfitMy Profile

• Reply Eleanor June 13, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Good luck in the move! I’d love to hear how you go on. I think it’s becoming so much more common to live alone as so many of us have friends all over the world.

eleanor
    elleanorwears.com

• Reply Josie June 13, 2016 at 3:36 pm

It sounds daunting but also so, so exciting! Good luck, I’m sure you’ll find somewhere that’s perfect x

Josie | Sick Chick Chic
    Josie recently posted…The Alexa Chung ‘Ada’ BlazerMy Profile

• Reply Amy June 13, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Good luck with your search! It’s stressful searching for new places but it all ends up coming together eventually and it definitely sounds like you’ve made the right decision 🙂
    Amy xx
    Amy recently posted…How I Stay OrganisedMy Profile

• Reply Fashion and Frappes June 13, 2016 at 5:03 pm

All the luck finding a new place and I hope you enjoy it. For lots of reasons, I have never lived and could never have lived alone although it would have been an interesting experience. I don’t regret it because I have never had a bad roommate – my sister and husband have been my only roommates!
    Fashion and Frappes recently posted…5 Ascot Dresses Under £50 – Dress Code Approved!My Profile

• Reply Paula June 13, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I lived in a flatshare for nearly ten years and only finally moved into my own place nearly three years ago now – my hand was sort of forced by my landlord deciding he wanted to get everyone in the flat on the same tenancy agreement (there were six of us on separate contracts which meant I’d had millions of flatmates over those ten years) but it all worked out for the best! It made such a difference having all of my own space . . . although my kitchen is about a quarter of the size of the SMALLER kitchen in my old flat sadly. But at least I don’t have to share it! Good luck with your search!

• Reply glamourzone June 13, 2016 at 8:43 pm

wish you all the best of luck with house hunting.Am sure when time comes you will find the best
    glamourzone recently posted…Weekend look:Skull dressMy Profile

• Reply Shireen L. Platt June 13, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Will you be buying or renting, Corinne? Regardless, I hope you find a place that suits you and good luck with the move. I know it’s daunting and kinda scary because you never live by yourself before but trust me, it’s liberating and was one of the best decision I ever made in my life. xx
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…How Much Is My Face Worth: High-End ProductsMy Profile

• Reply Akaleistar June 14, 2016 at 2:02 am

Best of luck finding a house! I never thought I’d want to live alone, but then I did it and really enjoyed having everything my way, ha ha.
    Akaleistar recently posted…Natural Beauty is Easier Than You Think Thanks to 100% Pure!My Profile

• Reply Imogen June 14, 2016 at 5:22 am

I think this will be good for you, I can see so many positives. I have never lived alone and I wouldn’t want to forever but for a period of time it sounds great. If you make the effort to get out enough then the time you spend alone at home will be valuable.

• Reply Rebecca June 15, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Just over a year ago we moved 250 miles, from Yorkshire to Hampshire. We knew 3 months in advance that we were moving but like you’ve said, everyone wants someone now and we had the same worries. House viewing is difficult when they’re a 5 hour drive away. However one day I spotted a To Let sign as we drove to a viewing, a lovely house we’d not seen on Rightmove. We’d been obsessively checking it to and this house had never showed up. Anyway it all fell in to place, the lady was leaving the house in a couple of months, right when we needed it and it was perfect. For some reason how they’d listed it on Rightmove it didn’t even meet our criteria that we were inputting but we’re here now. I hope everything falls in to place for you too 🙂

• Reply Aimee June 18, 2016 at 10:46 pm

I’m not surprised you are having nightmares to be honest! It’s a massively stressful thing to do. But also so exciting and so worthwhile. Just think of the end goal; your own place, not cold, done just the way you want it. What could be better? Good luck with it all! Xx
    Aimee recently posted…June GoalsMy Profile

• Reply Amy June 25, 2016 at 5:56 pm

I know August isn’t far away but there will be so many more places coming up for rent before then. If you think most tennants give 1 month notice then many available for when you want to move in won’t even have given their notice yet! X
    Amy recently posted…Top telly I love to watchMy Profile