Why I hate your #FridayFeeling

friday feeling

You know what annoys me?

When I see someone on social media talk about how happy they are it’s Friday. You know, #TGIF, #FridayFeel, #ItsTheWeekend?

No. Just no. Please. Stop it.

DSC_0695

You know whyyyy I hate this?

Because I work in retail. Which means my Friday feeling is usually full of dread, as I approach the busiest days of the week and hope I’ll have time for lunch.

I’m just bitter and selfish and mean and unreasonable, okay?

While everyone else is snapchatting photos of their Saturday morning bunch, I’ve already been at work for 5 hours and I’m feeling a bit sick from all the coffee I’ve drank, trying to remember what freedom feels like.

Most of my friends have 9-5 jobs. There are times it can suck and I’m left feeling out of sync with the rest of the world. Honestly, there are some times where I feel really rubbish about it as I feel like I’m always missing out while my friends get to have alllllll the fun.

Some of the worst things about working shifts in retail:

• I miss out on so many blog events because they’re either a Saturday, or they’re on an evening when I’m working or have to be at work at 6am the next day.
  • Sometimes I have to be at work at 6am. Yawn.
  • Other days, I have to work until 10pm.
  • The above two mean my sleep pattern is screwed.
  • Trying to arrange social events is a pain when you don’t know future shifts.
  • I have to book time off way in advance for things like weddings or family parties.
  • It’s hard to stay in a consistent workout routine.
  • It’s really easy to eat too much or too little depending on shift patterns!
  • There are so many people. I am allergic to people.
  • It’s depressing when people ask what you’re up to this bank holiday weekend.

tea friday feeling

But then again, there are some advantages to working shift patterns and having days off midweek. You often hear about how people are fed-up or stuck in rut because they feel trapped in an office job, where they sit in front of a computer screen all day.

I often think about trying to get an 9-5 job. But there are a few things that stop me – and not just that the only management experience I have is within retail.

Stuff like:

• I often rack up 10k steps on my Fitbit during work!
  • I can use the gym when it’s not as busy.
  • Weekday supermarket trips are much more chill than evening or weekend ones!
  • I sometimes get to finish at 3pm and feel like I have a day ahead of me.
  • I don’t spend much time in an office getting restless.
  • We have computers you can stand up and use.
  • There’s a degree of flexibility, where I can request a certain day off or shift if needed.
  • No week is ever the same.
  • Your Wednesday humpday might be my day off!
  • Can take my lunch when I want.

I think the biggest thing is the activity levels. I’m an active person already, but I love getting in those extra steps at work. When I’m not at work, the only activity I usually do is the gym. I’d worry about gaining weight, or eating more if I was in an office environment.

Everything is just so fast paced where I work, and there’s no better feeling than my Fitbit vibrating to say I’ve hit my step goal and it’s only half way through the day!

fridayfeeling retail life

When I first started this post, I thought it was going to be a massive rant about how much I hate retail life – but thanks, Furniture At WorkΒ , for asking me to write this – I now feel like I appreciate my job a bit more.

Though that doesn’t mean I’ve changed my mind about the #FridayFeeling posts and memes. They still suck.

Untitled3 copy

1. May 26, 2016 / 7:38 am

I have been there, working weekends and feeling sorry for myself every bank holiday weekend that was sunny. I no longer work weekends (thank god) but I have the upmost respect for people that do. x
    kate sullivan recently posted…Freedom Makeup CompetitionMy Profile

2. May 26, 2016 / 8:07 am

I get this although I’m lucky because I only have to work one weekend in a month but I work shifts and quite often don’t finish until late. There are definitely positives and negatives plus I can’t think of a job I’d want to do that’s 9-5!
    Amy xx
    Call Me Amy
    Amy recently posted…Lush Cup o’ Coffee Face MaskMy Profile

3. May 26, 2016 / 8:15 am

I’ve seen it from both sides of the spectrum and both retail shift work and 9-5 office work have their pitfalls. What I’d really love is to become self-employed and work at home but I can’t see that ever happening D: x

4. May 26, 2016 / 9:08 am

Are you still working in retail? I thought when you changed your job, you went for something else. I can imagine why you hate Fridays, it is always so hectic and so messy! I had 8-6 office job and I hated it, so Fridays were one of this tgif for me πŸ™‚
    Ela recently posted…Let’s Talk Volumising and Lengthening MascarasMy Profile

5. May 26, 2016 / 9:21 am

You are totally right about gaining weight when you switch from a retail job to a desk job. I jumped up 2 sizes when I made the switch, in just a few months. It sucked! It’s so much harder to lose it than to gain it, too.

It was awesome in terms of life scheduling though πŸ™‚ No regrets on leaving retail for good.

6. May 26, 2016 / 1:59 pm

I haven’t worked in retail but I am a nurse and scheduling sucks. I hope it’ll be better for you though. It’s hard to plan things when you don’t have a concrete schedule.
    Alissa recently posted…Life Recently Vol. 13My Profile

7. May 26, 2016 / 3:23 pm

I worked retail during college and it definitely has certain advantages over a regular 9 – 5 but working weekends wasn’t one of them.
    Rowena @ rolala loves recently posted…Play! By SephoraMy Profile

8. May 26, 2016 / 10:08 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I used to work retail 2 retail jobs in fact at the same time. It was brutal.
    BEAUTETUDE

9. May 26, 2016 / 10:20 pm

Glad you find and enjoy the positive sides to your job too! πŸ™‚

I’m on maternity leave at the moment so days really have no difference, ha! I’m always asking people what day it i as I’m constantly getting them messed up, they are all running together at the moment. A weekend is no different from any other day for me, so I understand you not enjoying the TGIF posts!
    Mica recently posted…Postpartum Outfits: Striped Maxi Skirts, Rebecca Minkoff Cross Body Saddle BagMy Profile

10. May 27, 2016 / 11:33 am

OMG, I relate to this so much! Sometimes doing shift work is a royal pain in the backside, it’s so inconsistent which makes me all over the place but then I like it, I just don’t know how to feel anymore haha. Love this post! xo

11. May 27, 2016 / 9:50 pm

My current job is Mon-Fri and I have flexi-time (sorry!) but my sister is a manager in retail and has similar woes to you. I must remember the positives you mention for next time she is annoyed at her ridiculously long hours!x

12. May 27, 2016 / 10:33 pm

Just as I thought when I read your tweet, I completely agree with everything you said!! I too work retail, where my shifts mean 6.30am starts or 7.30 finishes or anything in between. I’ve lost count of the amount of things I’ve missed because of work. It sucks. People say how I’m “so lucky” to have days off midweek, and while I agree to extent, I don’t think they realise that in order to have a day off in the week I have to work ALL WEEKEND!!

13. May 29, 2016 / 5:02 pm

You know why I hate those tgif posts? Because I work 7 days a week between my two jobs…. So I get what you mean. Everyone’s all “yeah, it’s Friday!” And I’m like “Yay, I get to wake up an hour EARLIER tomorrow and Sunday and work from 7AM to 3PM….”
    Kaitlynn Marie recently posted…I’ve Been Vegetarian For A Month?My Profile

14. May 29, 2016 / 7:50 pm

I work shifts too and my social calendar can be seriously lacking because I work such long hours. You’ve made me think more positively about it though so thank you πŸ™‚

15. May 30, 2016 / 4:04 pm

Totally agree with this! I’ve worked weekends for the past 5 years, and currently my Saturday mornings start at 4:45am to be to work for 6am on the Deli… I hate it, as it means I’m too tired for a night out and then starting at 8am the following morning means I need to SLEEP!! Tania xx taniamichele.blogspot.co.uk
    Tania Michele recently posted…Monthly Favourites #14 – MayMy Profile

16. May 30, 2016 / 7:09 pm

I’ve always imagined working in retail must be quite difficult – working weekends, all the crowds, shift work. I love a 9-5 job. But you do make it sound like it has its perks. And isn’t that the same with any job? Sure, my 9-5 has regular hours, very few people, no weekends. But I’ve gained weight, because I’m sitting all day, every day. I’m lucky if I do 1000 steps a day! My days are pretty much all the same. And more. I’m really glad that writing this post gave you more of an appreciation for your job! x
    Aimee recently posted…Happy Birthday, Dear Blog!My Profile

17. June 4, 2016 / 7:37 pm

Working weekends is really difficult because you do miss out on lots, going out with your friends and seeing family. But you have managed to focus on the positive and the tea sounds nice Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…How to make a cake fit for a QueenMy Profile

18. June 8, 2016 / 10:00 pm

Oh this post speaks to me on so many levels. I am more often than not working weekends – my only set day off is a Tuesday! And those weekends are often me in work until 11pm-12am if I’m on a close… It’s crap. On the flip side, I mostly work evening and sometimes even get my Monday off, so whenever I see people moaning on a Sunday night I can be like ha! I don’t have to get up tomorrow!
    Katie recently posted…Books: June TBRMy Profile