Posted on May 13, 2016

What Uplifts You When You’re Down?

lifestyle/ self improvement

What Uplifts You When You're Down?

We all have times when we’re feeling down. The intensity of that feeling can range to having an off day to feeling so depressed you can’t even begin to think about getting out of bed.

There are loads of tips online on how to liveย a happier life, for bringing yourself out of a funk – weather big, nor small. But they’re all so samey. Get enough sleep, exercise, have a bath.

But do these actually help?

The biggest obstacle, the hardest obstacle, comes before that. That is – actually wanting to feel better about your situation.

That might sound silly. Of course we all want happiness, Corinne, you stupid dumb head! But how many of us have locked ourselves away to wallow in our self pity? Laid in bed and listened to the saddest songs to reflect your mood? Drank a bottle of wine and over analysed everything that is wrong in your life and then sobbed over how things could have been.

I’d be surprised if I was alone here.

It wasn’t until I was around 26 that I actually started to realise something thatย would change how I coped with sadness for the rest of my life.

That something is – you can control it. To an extent.

And seems really hard, it feels impossible, but you can turn a bad day into a happy one by making the right choices.

You can be in the middle of a terrible day and decide STOP. This is enough. I’m not going to let this ruin the rest of my day!ย

That is the hardest part, I think.

I don’t know about you, but I proper love a moan.

I’ve had such a terrible day, listen to all the things that have gone wrong and pat me on the head and say ‘oh dear, that is a terrible day, you must feel horrible’ and then I can say ‘yes, I do feel horrible. Thanks for validating my bad mood.’

They call it venting. They say it helps. They say it’s key. But I end up more worked up than ever. I think the idea of venting is good – that you say what’s bothering you and then let it go – but I’m not so good at the letting go part. I vent myself silly until I’m so worked up I want to flip a mother fucking table and punch someone in the face.

So yes, before we’ve even started thinking what uplifts us, I think we’ve established that we first want to be uplifted.

So if you’ve got that part down and you’re ready to change your mood, then let’s move on.

What Uplifts You When You're Down?

Things that uplift me when I’m down.ย

This list is the things that make me feel better when I’m having a great day. I’m sure everyone is different, so let’s have a look at what works for me and maybe you can tell me what works for you ๐Ÿ™‚

Going to the gym.

Going to the gym helps more probably more than anything else. There have been times when I’ve been really angry and I’ve just gone to the gym and ran as fast as I can for as long as I can. Or I’ve lifted weights until my arms feel like they’re dropping off.

After a long, intense workout, I feel really accomplished and good about myself. The loud, upbeat music in the gym also helps. As well as being surrounded by people – even if I’m not talking to them. It’s a total distraction.

Also if I feel proper pants about my body. I can feel like the fattest person in the world, then a few days at the gym, my perception of my body seems to change even if my weight hasn’t. I’m still the same size but I feel better, I feel stronger, I feel fit and that I’m doing something good for my body. It helps.

Upbeat music.ย

Taylor Swift, Frozen, Sia – music that is powerful and has a great beat to it really helps. I especially like the Sia type of music which is all I AM INDEPENDENT WOMEN HEAR ME ROAR. It makes me feel unstoppable.

There’s also an album by Iron and Wine, The Creek Drank the Cradle, that always puts me in a better mood. It reminds me of a really peaceful time in my life. Probably the first time I tried to make myself feel better when things weren’t going well. If I stick that on, I feel really free.

Go out with friends.ย

Last thing I want to do when I’m in a bad mood is talk to people. When I’m in a mood, I just want to be alone. But I find if I spend time with people, I slowly start to forget about everything and just have fun. It does take time and I can be a bit quiet at first!

Watchย something funny.

Whether it’s a comedy TV show, or a stupid video on YouTube, watching something that makes me laugh really changes my mindset.

Making someones day.

Yes! This! Even if it’s just telling someone they look nice and seeing them smile back at you, it can make a massive difference to my mood to see that something I have done or said has made someone happy.

Clean bedsheets.

Yes, time to change those bedsheets and get into a clean bed to go to sleep on a high note and wake up on one.

What do you do when you’re not feeling great about life?ย

Untitled3 copy

• Reply Sarah May 13, 2016 at 7:51 am

Don’t ask me why but whenever I feel like I can’t conquer the world….I put Legally Blonde on! That film reminds me of a time in my life when I thought I was going to fail, crash, burn, fall off the face of the Earth and never see the light of day again. But then I watched that film and I don’t know, a switch just flipped and slowly, I got back on top. There’s a few films that do that for me, but that seems to be the main one – don’t ask me why, I’m not even blonde!

Sarah ๐Ÿ™‚
    Sarah recently posted…Red’s True BBQ – LiverpoolMy Profile

• Reply Alissa May 13, 2016 at 7:55 am

The people around me uplifts me ๐Ÿ™‚ Feel good lively music feeds my soul too. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Amy May 13, 2016 at 9:14 am

I always find that I have a better day of I start it with exercise and once I’ve exercised I seem to find it easier to let things go later on in the day because I’ve been in a better mood to begin with! Watching something funny never fails to cheer me up too!
    Amy xx
    Call Me Amy
    Amy recently posted…The Mae Deli ReviewMy Profile

• Reply Darina May 13, 2016 at 9:24 am

Go for a long walk, preparing my favorite dinner, cleaning my house, it helps a lot ๐Ÿ™‚
    Darina recently posted…Europe’s biggest Vintage EventMy Profile

• Reply Tracy May 13, 2016 at 9:45 am

As much as I hate to do it, going to the gym really does make you feel better. Cleaning helps me too – I call it stress cleaning. Nothing like a clean flat to make you feel better about life though! When all else fails, it’s time for cute animals on Youtube (I like baby pandas best.)

• Reply kate sullivan May 13, 2016 at 9:48 am

Clean bedsheets are everything! Unless you’re already in a bad mood and come bedtime, you go to get into bed and have forgotten you had stripped it… the amount of times I have done that! x
    kate sullivan recently posted…Pink to make the Boys Wink.My Profile

• Reply Jackie Harrison May 13, 2016 at 11:26 am

I like buying flowers to decor the house and running clear my mind. Playing with my pups put a smile on my face. Great post nice tips. Have a lovely weekend
    Jackie Harrison recently posted…DELECTABLE ASPARAGUS SOUPMy Profile

• Reply Bee May 13, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Yup gotta agree, going to the gym really beats the blues. I think the weather really helps so even just looking at holidays online (if weather is bad here) can get me pretty excited too.
    Bee | QueenBeady.com

• Reply Melissa Jane Lee May 13, 2016 at 1:32 pm

This might be a throwback to my youth, but I always find watching Friends makes me instantly happier on days like that. Never fails!

• Reply Erin (@MakeErinOver) May 13, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I really struggle when I am feeling down, I can be so emotional! My go to is always either going for a shower – I allow myself the time in the shower to be upset, after that point I must smile and move on, so usually im a crying mess… but cant see tears in the shower haha Other than that I will go into town with enough money for parking and a Venti Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks, and I will walk around the shops until my feet her. I will not take a bank card though, if I do I burn holes in my bank account cheering myself up lol!

Erin || MakeErinOver

• Reply Matea May 13, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Clean bedsheets are the best thing! Unfortunately I can’t keep them to myself for more than 5 minutes because my dog adores them almost as much as I do ๐Ÿ™‚
    Yes to Sia’s music, it really is super powerful and instantly makes me feel like I can do anything. And I love a good old bubble bath, it does wonders for me like nothing else! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Matea recently posted…New video: Explore Rijeka, chapter oneMy Profile

• Reply glamourzone May 13, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Sucha great post,i always listen to music or watch a comedy when am down
    Great ideas
    glamourzone recently posted…THE GIRL IN DISTRESSED JEANSMy Profile

• Reply Shireen L. Platt May 13, 2016 at 9:23 pm

I agree with you on venting, it works for some people but not me as it pisses me off more and more. I usually play with the little one and it’ll automatically gets me into a good mood…or buying new makeup or ten, that usually do the trick too. ๐Ÿ˜›
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…FASHION FRIDAY: #WeLoveRain with Helly HansenMy Profile

• Reply Lucy May 13, 2016 at 9:53 pm

I feel the same ably clean bed sheets. A bath and chocolate are two things that relax me. I wish it was the gym Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…My Little Box – MarchMy Profile

• Reply Akaleistar May 14, 2016 at 12:42 am

A long walk, a good book, and a bubble bath help me when I’m feeling down ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Madara May 14, 2016 at 10:27 am

My experience is that I cannot excersize if feeling angry. It makes me just hurt my body and I feel only more angry. I need to calm myself before. A walk outside is great, if in nature, then perfect. Running like crazy or screaming out loud just feeds my anger and I get more and more tense.

Music is great! ๐Ÿ™‚ But I find that when not feeling that great, uplifting music just annoys. ๐Ÿ˜€ But my fave for uplifts are “SMASH” soundtracks and I am a good classical music lover. ๐Ÿ™‚ Ballets or waltzes expecially work good for me.

Sink into funny TV series, if feeling bad is a good solution too. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve done it even with not particulary funny stuff but interesting, so that I forgot my troubles (like drinking but more healthy ๐Ÿ˜€ ).

And wanted to add, that going out for a walk (as mentoined earlier) really helps me get out of bad mood. I’m just an outdoors cat ๐Ÿ˜‰ and calm movement (as walking!) helps to clear my mind. If I was a runner, I believe a peaceful jog would work too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Great tips and agree with Tracy, clean apartment is the best! (the cleaning part might not but someone has to do it ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).
    Madara

• Reply Aimee May 15, 2016 at 9:58 am

I really love this post! It used to annoy me when people said I could choose to turn a bad day around. But in time I came to see how true it is. It’s all too easy to wallow. But you can change your bad day around. Things I do to help; read a good book, go for a walk, cuddle my cat! ๐Ÿ™‚ x
    Aimee recently posted…An interview with…Underland to Wonderland!My Profile