7 WordPress Hacks To Keep You In The Writing Groove

When you’re writing a blog post, do ever find yourself in the zone?

You’ve got a great idea, you’re inspired, you know what you want to write and it’s just a case of getting the words onto the screen.

You start tapping away at the keys, but every two seconds you’re having to take your hands away from the keyboard to use the mouse to format. Add in images, make something bold, change something to a headline.

I don’t know about you, but this distracts my flow. Once I pause, I can lose track of what I was going to type next, where the post was going and feel a bit demotivated to carry on.

I used to just write a post from start to finish without adding in any special features to avoid this. Until I started learning some of these handy tips and tricks to help me.

Okayyy, I do realise that these are not going to be useful for some of you who are using Blogger, Square Space or other blogging platforms. But it still might be fun to have a look through if you’re considering WordPress.

So there are a few handy hacks and shortcuts that can make your life a bit easier while using WordPress. Let’s take a look at some.

2016 (25)

Drag and Drop Images.

You don’t have to upload images through the Add Media function, you can just drag them from your desktop or a folder and insert them straight into the content box and they’ll auto upload. This can make things easier if you have loads of files and folders that your images are sorted into!

URL Search

If you want to add a related post link in your blog post, you can just search for the post. Click on the Insert Link Button and type in a search term where you would usually put the URL and wait for it to auto load.

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 17.38.05

Then you can scroll down and select the link you want, which is great for internal link building to help with SEO and bounce rate!

Three dash line.

By simply typing three dashes (-), WordPress will automatically turn this into a line. Like below.

Quick edit.

Ok, this one isn’t to do with writing a post, but it’s still handy! If you want to quickly edit something about your post, like the category or title, you can do so using quick edit.

Just go to the ‘All Posts’ tab in the side bar and hover over the post you want to edit, then click quick edit. This is a really easy way to go about sorting your your blogs categories if you’re wanting to split them into just a handful.

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 18.32.47

Stick to front page.

If you don’t have a slider on your blog to show featured posts, you might want to keep one of your favourite posts up to the top for longer.

Think pinned posts on Twitter.

You can do this by ticking ‘Stick this post to the front page’ and it will display that post first, as if it’s the latest post.

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 18.43.49Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 18.43.38

Quick text formatting.

You can easily switch between bold and italics and underlined text by pressing control (cmd on Mac) then bi or u. Just press control (cmd) plus the letter again to go back to normal text.

You can also quickly insert a link by pressing control (cmd) + k.

Press the question mark button next to the undo and redo buttons for more keyboard shortcuts.

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 19.00.12

Text only mode.

Want to get rid of all the distractions while you’re typing? Press the square button in the top right corner of the content editor to go into distraction-free writing mode.

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 18.58.02

Do you know any WordPress hacks?

1. April 21, 2016 / 7:31 am

Dear Corinne, being a rookie blogger I really like your blogging tips! I decided to start with WordPress and I really like it, so thanks for this great post!

Alles Liebe!
    Stella

2. April 21, 2016 / 9:06 am

I’ve only very very recently moved over to WordPress and I’m still sort of stumbling my way around. It’s so much simpler than blogger in general terms but I was using blogger for so so long, WordPress got me ridiculously stumped! A couple of the things listed I’d already been doing but such a helpful post, thank you!

Vickie | dearvictoria.co.uk

3. April 21, 2016 / 9:18 am

Im currently debating leaving blogger for wordpress, I’m just a bit worried about the move. If definitely seems more helpful than blogger!
    kate sullivan recently posted…Glossy And NakedMy Profile

4. April 21, 2016 / 10:10 am

Now my blog is up and running, I so wish I had gone with wordpress!! It just looks so much more helpful and the formatting is just so much smoother. ARGH. Plus I am in love with your comment function to leave the last post you did, its so cool, and I LOVE finding new blog posts to read in your comments 🙂

Erin (MakeErinOver) recently posted…Make Up Geek Eyeshadow HAUL! & SwatchesMy Profile

5. April 21, 2016 / 8:50 pm

Some great tips here, thanks for sharing! There’s a few of them which I didn’t know of and will try to use in the future.

6. April 21, 2016 / 11:03 pm

Wasn’t aware of the drag/drop image option – thanks!

Here’s one I find really useful – if you want to put a video in your post which is on YouTube (and, I believe, other similar sites) you can just put the url in your post, hit enter and the video is automatically inserted into your post (I’ve done it with this post: http://www.twirliegirly.co.uk/phoenix/2016/dog-book/)

7. April 21, 2016 / 11:05 pm

Sometimes I do wish I’d chosen wordpress when I’d first set up my blog all those years ago, but I’m well and truly a Blogger person now. Wish we had functions like this though!
    Paula recently posted…AM I A GROWN-UP YET? (PROBABLY NOT . . .)My Profile

8. April 22, 2016 / 12:06 am

I really need to move to WordPress. The features definitely seem much better than Blogger.
    Rowena @ rolala loves recently posted…Current MoodMy Profile

9. April 22, 2016 / 2:15 pm

The sticky post tip is fantastic! I did not know about it! I have a static page on my blog – so relieved about this!

10. April 23, 2016 / 3:58 am

This post was so informative! I’m a fairly new blogger and am always looking for new blogging tips. Thanks so much 🙂

Blessings,
    Edye // Gracefulcoffee
    Edye recently posted…Monday PinspirationMy Profile

11. April 23, 2016 / 9:45 pm

These tips are amazing! Thanks!!

Katie | katieemmabeauty.com

12. April 23, 2016 / 10:15 pm

These look really useful- wish they would work in Blogger!!
    Kezzie recently posted…BloomsMy Profile

13. April 28, 2016 / 10:36 pm

Oh I can’t cope with using the visual mode! Hate it haha! I didn’t know you could search for links to add in, damn, that’ll make life easier! Thanks for sharing!

14. May 1, 2016 / 5:05 am

Reading this reminds me why I need to ditch blogger and move over to wordpress. There are so many things that you can’t do and that restrict the end product Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Barbecoa restaurantMy Profile

15. October 2, 2016 / 5:41 pm

I love using WordPress and this post has made me love it even more, a couple tips I didn’t realise were a thing, thanks!x