Posted on March 20, 2016

That day I created Enchantment #LanzaroteCookOff

food

lanzarote lentil stew

Some days I astonish myself with what I can do. I like to put on this pretence that I’m not a great adult, that I can’t cook and I’d rather spend all evening on YouTube and a full weekend on Xbox than start a family.

But you know what? When I put my mind to it, I can actually cook. I mean, it’s just following a recipe, really. But I’m not that good at being told what to do, so I often do steer away from the recipe and add my own pah-zaz to it. I dunno if pahzaz is a word and if it is, how you spell it, but it feels right.

lanzarote traditional dish

So here’s the deal. Thomas Cook Airlines asked me to cook a Lanzarote dish and share it with you lot. In exchange, they sent me a lava rock for cooking on and the ingredients. They’ve also got a few other bloggers involved and the best recipe will win a holiday for two to Lanzarote. After the last few weeks I’ve had, I could really do with a break because I don’t feel like I can catch a break lately in the UK. Send me away to the seaside to recoup! Take a look at their cheap flights, if you’re feeling like me!

Thomas Cook Airlines did provide us with some possible recipes to recreate, but the problem here was that they had meat in. And for those of you that are wondering, I decided not to stop being a vegetarian just yet. I mean, I still might at some point but I think I have too many new things going on in life right now to make such drastic decisions.

So I turned to my BFF, Google, who showed me a bunch of traditional Lanzarote recipes and I decided to make a Lentil Stew and some wrinkly potatoes with mojo sauce.

Potaje de Lentejas – Lentil Stew

• 5 cloves garlic
  • 1 sprig rosemary
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 table spoons olive oil
  • 1/4 table spoon of paprika
  • salt to taste
  • chorizo if you’re making a non-veggie version

Method:

Wash the lentils. This is important. I forgot until it was too late. Then add the vegetables (apart from the potatoes.

Chop the peppers and tomatoes into chunks. Finely chop the celery. Quarter the onion. Add the cloves of garlic in whole (I added 8 but I’m an extremist), add the bay leaf (again, this extremist added two) and then add the rosemary and olive oil. Oh, and the paprika. Add that too. Although I just poured because I don’t like to take life too seriously. It worked out okay in the end.

Cover with water, bring to oil and then reduce the heat slightly. When the lentils are soft, add the potatoes (and meat if using). I also forgot this and added the potatoes right away and I survived the tell the tale.

Boil for about 45 minutes, then add to the salt to taste.

lanzarote lentil stewlanzarote lentil stewlanzarote lentil stewlanzarote lentil stew

Papas con Mojo

This is wrinkly potatoes with mojo sauce and it’s so easy to make. I can’t believe I actualllllly made the sauce. Myself. From scratch. It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever made!

Ingredients for mojo sauce:

• 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tbs of cumin powder
  • 1 tea spoon paprika
  • 1 tea spoon sea salt
  • a splash of olive oil
  • 2 red peppers

Method

You basically just blend it all together, adding more olive oil depending on how thick or runny you want it.

Potatoes:

This is soooo easy. Just add as many potatoes as required to a pan and add about 3-4cm of water – it’s okay if the water doesn’t cover the potatoes. Add around 200g of coarse sea salt and cover the potatoes with a tea towel (not the pan). Boil slowly for around 20 minutes.

Then drain and steam dry on a low heat and a layer of salt will appear on the potatoes!

lanzarote wrinkly potatoes     lanzarote wrinkly potatoeslanzarote mojo sauce  lanzarote lentil stew

Of course, this dish was enjoyed with wine!

What do you think of this meal? Have you ever tried a Lanzarote dish?

• Reply Darina March 20, 2016 at 10:36 am

Looks delicious, especially the papas con mojo, I have been on Lanzarote twice and have tried this food once. I can highly recommend it!
    Darina recently posted…Weekend Notes #45My Profile

• Reply Jackie Harrison March 20, 2016 at 11:28 am

Looka so delicious will love to try it especially the potatoes.
    Jackie Harrison recently posted…SIMPLE ZUCCHINI CHIPSMy Profile

• Reply Jasmin Charlotte March 20, 2016 at 11:40 am

Ohh this looks delish! I looooved the Mojo sauce and potatoes when we were in the Canaries, pretty much had them every day!

• Reply Alexandra March 20, 2016 at 12:15 pm

It looks so good ! I am gonna try this next weekend !
    Alexandra recently posted…My favorite drugstore lipsticks :My Profile

• Reply Mira March 20, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Wow this looks really good, you’re definitely good at cooking! If I had tried this it would have probably gone wrong somehow haha. I really want to try this recipe, especially the potatoes look mouth-watering. xx

113-things-to-say.blogspot.com
    Mira recently posted…AmsterdayMy Profile

• Reply Ela March 20, 2016 at 8:02 pm

I don’t think I had any Lanzarote dish, however had some similar lentil stew. So does it mean I had some?:) Good luck with the competition, I hope you win! x
    Ela recently posted…Volumized Lashes with Kiko Building Base CoatMy Profile

• Reply Oksana Zolotukhina March 20, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Well written post, worth reading. All the pictures are fabulous! Thanks for sharing))

Oksana Zolotukhina recently posted…Отзыв: Весенняя коллекция CLARINS Eclat Instantane. Питательная губная помада Rouge Eclat в оттенке #25 pink blossom.My Profile

• Reply Akaleistar March 20, 2016 at 9:27 pm

I’ve never made anything with lentils, but that stew looks really good!

• Reply Kathy March 20, 2016 at 9:49 pm

I absolutely love cooking and being in the kitchen and this recipe sounds amazing!

kathy

• Reply Paula March 20, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Looks delicious! I love Lanzarote and I love lentils… how can you go wrong?!?

• Reply Rowena @ rolala loves March 21, 2016 at 2:13 am

I enjoy lentils but I’ve never tried any type of a Lanzarote dish before. Based on the ingredients, the stew sounds like it would be very flavorful.
    Rowena @ rolala loves recently posted…Eye Candy : Chun Woo Hee for Laura Mercier Spring 2016My Profile

• Reply Anca March 21, 2016 at 11:58 am

It looks delicious. I like both recipes. xx
    Anca recently posted…Hobby Crafts and Cake InternationalMy Profile

• Reply Sarah March 21, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Both of these sound amazing! You better win that holiday, it’ll be the only way to force you to take a break and relax, you need it! This year has been crazy so far and it’s still only getting started! Good luck!

Sarah recently posted…Lunya – LiverpoolMy Profile

• Reply Lucy March 21, 2016 at 11:21 pm

I can’t say I would even know what cuisine is eaten in Lanzarote but this looks lovely and would definitely be something I would eat. Good luck with the competition Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…PostPartum HairMy Profile

• Reply Charlotte March 24, 2016 at 10:24 am

Looks gorgeous, I’m going to have to give it a try myself. Fab that it’s veggie as well!