Posted on November 5, 2015

Revolucion De Cuba Leeds // #MoveToCuba

food/ lifestyle/ review

Revolucion De Cuba Leeds

Last week, I was invited to a press event for a bar that’s recently opened in Leeds.

Revolucion De Cuba is a new bar on Call Lane in Leeds. It’s completely changed from the bar that was their previously and has such an open, warm feel to it.

Revolucion De Cuba serves Cuban food, tapas, cocktails and has a massive selection of spirits.

After being greeted with a Cuban beer, we were split into three groups and first, we went to the rum testing part of the evening.

We were given 4 rums to try, all different. We were taught different things about rum, like how to tell a cheap rum from a high quality one, how rum is made and how long it’s aged. I’ve never really thought much about rum before – it’s generally not something I would have thought you would drink on it’s own like a whiskey or brandy!

The four we tried were:

• Diplomatico Blanco
  • El Dorado 12 Elements
  • 8 Criollo Cacao
  • Appleton Estate VX

Next, we were taught how to make mojitos, which is one of my favourite drinks! We each went behind the bar and made our own and it was a lot harder than it looks! I felt awkward and messy making it and definitely have a new found respect for bar tenders.

I’m tempted to try and make my own like this now.

Finally, we had tapas.

I was a bit nervous at first as the tapas I’ve had previously has been mainly meat based. But there were so many dishes they brought out for us that it didn’t matter!

My favourite dish was the aubergine quesadillas! After seeing all the vegetarian options, I’d love to go back and eat there again and try their big plate meals. They have a £10 special where you get a mojito and burrito 12-6pm Monday to Friday! Give this to me, please.

My housemate already went and it seems to be a popular place! The tapas dishes are 3 for £13, you could easily get 6 and share between two people which isn’t a massive cost.

You can check them out, as well as the rest of the menu here.

The staff were all wonderful and very eager to ask if we were okay and tell us about the bar – it was clear there was an atmosphere of excitement in the bar and passion around the food and drink they served.

Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds Revolucion De Cuba Leeds

• Reply Karen November 5, 2015 at 8:44 am

This event sounds so fun! I love a good mojito and learning about the differences between cheap and expensive rum sounds really interesting 🙂

x
    Karen recently posted…– Threads & Beauty: Lash and Brow Collection…My Profile

• Reply Lucy November 5, 2015 at 9:49 am

I’m not a great lover of rum on its own but in a cocktail yummy especially a mojitos. I haven’t had tapas for ages this looks lovely Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Baby nursery ideasMy Profile

• Reply Jackie Harrison November 5, 2015 at 11:09 am

What a cool bar to have a drink feeling like you in Cuba I like mojito and the food also looks amazing. You guys rock those fedora.

• Reply Sarah November 5, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Tapas and mojitos – two of my favourite things! This place sounds right up my street! Love your so serious concentrating face making that cocktail too! I’ve never had a professional cocktail making lesson before, I tend to just chuck it all in a glass at home and hope for the best haha!

Sarah recently posted…November Goals // Life LatelyMy Profile

• Reply Shireen L. Platt November 5, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Now that event looks like my version of heaven, give me tapas and mojitos everyday and all day. LOL! Talking about tapas…I think I should make some this weekend.
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…The One I Wish I Never Met: NARS Orgasm/ Laguna DuoMy Profile

• Reply Anca November 5, 2015 at 4:49 pm

It looks like you had a wonderful time. I’m always glad to hear about a restaurant with plenty of vegetarian options, so it’s good to know about it.
    Anca recently posted…National Maritime MuseumMy Profile

• Reply Chrissie November 6, 2015 at 4:25 pm

This one sounds great – the one in Manchester has several great veggie options as well. I love the atmosphere they’ve created in the venues .
    Chrissie recently posted…OOTD – Ethical Fashion A/WMy Profile

• Reply Jessica November 9, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Yayyy it was so much fun! Bit of a shock to see my serious concentrating face in the pics though 😉 – I agree it was definitely harder than bartenders make it look!
    Jessica recently posted…Red’s True BBQ: Must Visit in LeedsMy Profile