Posted on October 7, 2015

Why I love Kirkstall Abbey // #FlauntyaHaunt

lifestyle

Kirkstall Abbey

Ah, Kirkstall Abbey. My favourite place in Leeds.

I’ve spoken about it and photographed it many times on this here blawg – so when Travelodge Leeds asked me to talk about my favourite thing about Leeds – I knew want I wanted to talk about straight away.

I first discovered Kirkstall Abbey in 2010 when we were moving from Bradford to Leeds when my student life sadly ended. Can I just point out that leaving my student life and entering into the adultness of full time work was the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me. Like, SRSLY. If any universities would like to sponsor me and send me back to university, I’ll write you a wonderful review.

Where were we? Oh yes, we were viewing some houses, we came across the Abbey by accident. It looked cool so we stopped and had a walk around.

But this wasn’t when I fell in love with it.

This happened three years later.

Kirkstall Abbey

I was starting to feel restless and sluggish around July 2013. I had just moved into our second house in Leeds and after being inspired by one of my favourite YouTubers, Shaycarl, who lost 100lbs and ran a marathon – I decided I wanted to run, too.

I downloaded MapMyRun and did something I never thought would ever do. I ran 5k.

Yup. I went from not running since I was in school to running 5k all at once. I stopped a few times, and it took me 45 minutes, but what an amazing feeling.

I wasn’t too familiar with my new neighbourhood, so decided to run up Kirkstall Road. Just over a mile in, I saw Kirkstall Abbey.

Kirkstall AbbeyTHIS is when I fell in love with Kirkstall Abbey.

It was summer, around 7pm and there were other humans there. Humans walking their dogs, humans sat on blankets with wine, humans playing football with their children, humans running and walking and laughing and talking.

The Abbey has been the centre of many of my runs since then (and Instagram photos!) and I sometimes wonder if I would have bothered to go on that second, third and forth run if I didn’t have somewhere so beautiful to run to.

It’s also become a key location for me in the summer – taking a blanket, bottle of wine and a friend or two down there to enjoy the scenery. Especially as I moved again in July even closer to the Abbey!

There’s a river next to it and plenty of grass to sit on. Not to mention, it makes a wonderful location for OOTD’s!

It also hosts a variety of events, such as markets even month, events like the Harry Potter one I went to in May.

So yes, Kirkstall Abbey is my favourite place in Leeds and if you’re ever in the are, should should go visit it!

Kirkstall AbbeyKirkstall AbbeyKirkstall AbbeyKirkstall AbbeyKirkstall AbbeyKirkstall AbbeyKirkstall Abbey

Kirkstall Abbey harry potterKirkstall Abbey harry potter

• Reply Candice October 7, 2015 at 8:30 am

Oh wow!! It really looks amazing we definitely don’t have huge building like these over here

Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

• Reply Serene October 7, 2015 at 11:23 am

This place is something out of a book! Such a picturesque location! <3 the views are really beautiful! Might need to visit Kirkstall Abbey.

Serene | I Am Serene L
    Serene recently posted…Purple LipsMy Profile

• Reply Jackie Harrison October 7, 2015 at 11:38 am

Outstanding images.

• Reply Suze The Luxury Columnist October 7, 2015 at 11:53 am

Kirkstall Abbey looks beautiful and it’s nice that it’s kept you motivated on your runs!
    Suze The Luxury Columnist recently posted…Korres – Naturally BeautifulMy Profile

• Reply Anca October 7, 2015 at 2:01 pm

It’s such a beautiful place, I will have to put it in my “to-visit” list 🙂
    Anca recently posted…Tune Hotels Liverpool reviewMy Profile

• Reply Shireen L. Platt October 7, 2015 at 4:47 pm

This is one of the main reason I really want to visit UK in the future, there are just so many historical buildings all around. The old world charm is just almost everywhere to be seen.
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…Hold On To Your Summer Glow with Dr. HauschkaMy Profile

• Reply bee October 7, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I have to admit I passed this place for the first time only a few months ago & it’s such a pretty spot. There was a house for sale looking directly at the castle, and I keep looking at it!
    Bee | QueenBeady.com

• Reply Sarah October 7, 2015 at 9:27 pm

I love places like this! Do you know anything about the place from way back in its heyday? Places like this just make me feel like I’m in a Philippa Gregory novel!

I think you have to take me here next Summer!

Sarah recently posted…*The Mindful Eating ChallengeMy Profile

• Reply Colleen Welsch October 7, 2015 at 9:50 pm

England is so cool because there’s all these amazing old ruins that you can just chill at. Jealous!
    Colleen Welsch recently posted…MONTHLY MUSIC PICKSMy Profile

• Reply Akaleistar October 8, 2015 at 3:22 am

The Abbey looks like a wonderful place to explore!
    Akaleistar recently posted…October Wish List: Cozy SweatersMy Profile

• Reply Lucy October 8, 2015 at 8:20 am

What a beautiful Abbey I would love to photograph this Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Truc Vert Restaurant MayfairMy Profile

• Reply Jessica October 8, 2015 at 12:13 pm

I love Kirkstall Abbey SO MUCH! And you’re right, it’s a great backdrop for running – I’d still rather just be eating and drinking there instead though 😉

Cannot wait to move to Leeds and become permanent OOTD buddies!

Jessica recently posted…“Don’t let the muggles get you down”My Profile

• Reply Ellen from Ask Away October 8, 2015 at 12:46 pm

That looks so gorgeous just from the picss. i cant even imagine seeing it in person!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away

• Reply Oksana Zolotukhina October 8, 2015 at 2:55 pm

So amazing photos 🙂 And how cute place is this! This post is absolutely stunning!
    Oksana Zolotukhina recently posted…Отзыв: Косметика для мужчин. NUXE Гель для бритья и Гель для душа (многофункциональный).My Profile

• Reply Leanne October 8, 2015 at 6:11 pm

i’ve been here a number of times but now we live just down the road, there’s no excuse not to visit more. i especially want to go to one of the film events they have, the harry potter one looked brilliant! great post x

• Reply Katherine October 9, 2015 at 1:18 am