Posted on September 3, 2015

Working with Brands // Q&A with a PR

blog tips

India was the first blogger I met in real life – we took a short car ride to an American dinner around March 2013 to meet up with some other Leeds bloggers.

She’s probably one of my best blogging friends – she was originally the social media manager/PR girl for Leeds based company Cohorted and now works in PR for a different marketing agency.

I asked if I could send her across some questions relating to her life as a PR, what she looks for in bloggers and what it’s like to be a PR as well as a blogger.

Visit her blog, Touch Screens & Beauty Queens.

When looking for bloggers for a campaign, what do you look for?

There are a few things that I look for; good engagement with readers, well written content and clear photography is the basics, and then depending on the client I am working with there might also be a minimum number of followers or metrics.

Do you look into bloggers interactions off their blog, such as social media time lines?

Definitely, it helps me gage what type of person I could be working with! It also means I can see how active they are on their accounts, which gives me a rough idea of how long a post could take.

What type of things make you reluctant to work with a blogger?

I tend to avoid anyone who is too negative, not because I’m worried they’ll review something negatively but because I think negative people can be draining. I also avoid people who bitch about PRs as I think it’s unprofessional. Having a poor blog layout where finding information (such as your name or contact information) puts me off as I don’t have that much time to spend per blog!

What types of things do some bloggers do that make you not want to work with you again?

Bloggers who take forever to respond to emails, I’ve had to wait two months for a reply before (even with some gentle nudges) in which time, the campaign was over and the client was pissed. I’ve also had people not respond at all once they’ve received something, and never put up a post. I understand putting up a post isn’t obligatory, but some feedback on why they didn’t would be great.

What types of things do some bloggers do that make you want to work again?

Staying in contact, even if it’s just to let me know the date they’ve scheduled their post or that they’re running behind on their posts. Honesty, whether that’s being upfront about how long it takes them to post, or that the item they’ve received isn’t right for them, and letting me know by email when their post is live. I often don’t have access to client’s social media accounts, and it can be embarrassing when they know more about collaborations than me.

How much do follower numbers, comments and DA really matter?

These do matter, but to varying extents depending on what the client wants. If it’s really good publicity they are after, higher follower counts are important, whereas clients wanting their search rankings to rise, DA is more of a factor. I’m never opposed to working with smaller bloggers because building long lasting relationships are much better than one off collaborations, so if the content is good I’m normally happy to work with someone!

Do you find media packs helpful or a waste of time?

Media packs are definitely helpful, but I think they need to be available to download from your blog and they need to contain every piece of information I might need (from types of collaborations you do, to rates you charge and what each collaboration involves on your behalf). If I have to email you to ask for your media pack, it’s no less time consuming than me emailing you about a potential collaboration in the first place.

Has working in PR made you view blogging differently?

It’s made me much nicer to PRs, everyone shoots them down or sends nasty emails in response to poor opportunities but if you have a problem, you should go to the company who sets the budget. We’re just doing our jobs!

Do you think being a blogger has made you approach your work differently?

Definitely, I always take a personal approach when emailing bloggers and make sure that I only email about relevant opportunities. I always give my opinion from a bloggers approach when we’re coming up with campaign ideas as I have a rough idea of what will work and won’t.

A lot of bloggers want to work in PR and digital marketing – how hard would you say it is to get into and what skills or qualifications might be useful?

I think having a blog is already a good start to getting a job in PR, as it shows you can write good content and get it out there through social media and engagement. I did a degree in Psychology, but had three different internships (two in social media, one in traditional PR) before I was offered a paid job. Unfortunately, doing internships is one of the best ways into the door but they’re mostly unpaid. You could try getting a one day a week internship alongside other work, or offering content writing services for agencies who outsource. Networking, replying to every opportunity on social media, and introducing yourself to brands and agencies is definitely helpful, as well as building a portfolio online of anything you’ve done outside of your blog.

• Reply Lucy September 3, 2015 at 8:05 am

Great tips and advise for working with PR companies, when you first start out it is a mindfield Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Things to do in CornwallMy Profile

• Reply Jackie Harrison September 3, 2015 at 11:03 am

You ask great question now we could get a perspective on PR and I will have to agree with her in respond of an email that is so rude and unprofessional not to respond in a timely manner. Great post doll.

• Reply Jhem Arzaga September 3, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Yayy.. Corinne, this is such a very informative post for bloggers. Everyone must read it. I’m so grateful for you taking time to share this post. Thanks heaps!

xoxo
    Jhem | JhemSays.com
    Jhem Arzaga recently posted…Hair Appointment Booking Online: Where and How-To TipsMy Profile

• Reply Corinne September 5, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed the post!

• Reply Anca September 3, 2015 at 12:40 pm

A very interesting post and helpful too. Your questions are great and she was very clear, I loved reading it.
    Anca recently posted…1st Home anniversaryMy Profile

• Reply Corinne September 5, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Thanks, Anca!

• Reply Becca September 3, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Thank you! That’s really helpful and clear and will hopefully help me make a start at working with PRs x
    Becca recently posted…Happy Paper Club – stationery subscription review – August 2015My Profile

• Reply Corinne September 5, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I’m glad you found the post helpful!

• Reply Danielle September 3, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Loved reading this! Great and helpful questions/feedback! Thanks girl!

Danielle
    Danielle recently posted…End of Summer Getaway…..My Profile

• Reply Shireen L. Platt September 3, 2015 at 3:00 pm

This is a very good interview and gives such a good insight to me as a blogger. Good one and thank you for sharing, Corinne.
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…Monthly Favourites: Buh-Bye AugustMy Profile

• Reply Emma September 3, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Great interview Corinne!
    Emma recently posted…Clarins Pretty Day & Pretty Night Autumn Makeup CollectionMy Profile

• Reply Natalia Gutiérrez September 3, 2015 at 6:14 pm

This is so helpful! I always learn something new about working with brands. Great post!

Natalia
    Natalia Gutiérrez recently posted…7 Razones para adoptar un perro callejeroMy Profile

• Reply Kezzie September 3, 2015 at 8:40 pm

This is a great interview Corinne- really nice to hear from the ‘other side’ so to speak! (even if she works on both sides which makes her and her opinion hugely interesting!)x
    Kezzie recently posted…The maize-maze at Millet’s farm- It’s a little corny!My Profile

• Reply Corinne September 5, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Yeah! It really does. Glad you enjoyed it 🙂

• Reply Ela September 3, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Another great post and great tips! Such a good interview! xx

• Reply Serene September 3, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Such an amazing read Corrinne! thank you, I loved reading about what PR Companies look for in their bloggers! this has definitely been insightful 🙂
    Serene recently posted…|MAC| Flat out FabulousMy Profile

• Reply Serene September 3, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Such an amazing read Corinne! thank you, I loved reading about what PR Companies look for in their bloggers! this has definitely been insightful 🙂

Serene | I Am Serene L
    Serene recently posted…|MAC| Flat out FabulousMy Profile

• Reply Corinne September 5, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Glad you found it helpful!

• Reply Arianne September 4, 2015 at 2:49 am

this was such a great, informational post! I definitely would love to work with PR companies in the future, but I am quite picky because I don’t want to do just anything so I can get paid or to say I worked with a PR company. I definitely want to make sure it matches my blog and my ideals. For example, if Victoria’s Secret approached me to do a blog post about their body products, I wouldn’t accept it because of the ingredients they have.. I would, however, accept it if it was their clothing stuff 😉
    Arianne recently posted…Beauty: PacificaMy Profile

• Reply Corinne September 5, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Yeah it’s always important to be selective when it comes to working with brands!

• Reply Xuvious September 4, 2015 at 2:05 pm

This is very interesting, you rarely get to hear things from their perspective. As rightly noted, they’re just doing their job.
    Xuvious recently posted…Rimmel Scandaleyes Shadow Paint in Rich RussetMy Profile

• Reply Corinne September 5, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Yeah, I bet there are so many things bloggers do that can be frustrating!

• Reply Victoria September 15, 2015 at 9:56 pm

This is so helpful! I’m definitely going to take lots of this onboard.

Thank you for arranging this.

Victoria xx thedaisyjaynes.com
    Victoria recently posted…The British TagMy Profile

• Reply Rea September 21, 2015 at 5:16 am

Great interview! It’s nice to read something about a PR’s point of view this time.

• Reply Suzy Turner October 19, 2015 at 2:57 pm

What a great idea to interview your PR BFF! I loved reading this… it’s certainly made me feel more confident that I’m doing things the right way. Thank you so much!
    Suzy x
    Suzy Turner recently posted…Denim, leather and laceMy Profile

• Reply Allie Mackin October 29, 2015 at 9:46 pm

GREAT POST, this was wonderful to read

Allie of ALLIENYC
    allienyc.com

• Reply Ashleigh November 4, 2015 at 8:21 pm

This was really helpful. Thanks for sharing! And again, sorry about the whole ‘pop up box’ thing. I’m trying to figure out how to make the close word darker so people san see it. Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Reply Naomi May 25, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I love you’re blogs and find them very helpful as a new blogger 🙂

• Reply Aby Davies June 1, 2016 at 4:48 pm

This was a really interesting piece especially for a new blogger like me 🙂 Thanks Corinne 🙂

abyandarthur.com

• Reply Stefany June 16, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Now these are the posts I really enjoy. Wish it was longer and wouldn’t mind a book haha. These are just really interesting details when going professional with your social media. I was working at a PR as well and truly an amazing experience. <3
    Stefany recently posted…Morning/Evening skincare routineMy Profile