Posted on September 23, 2015

Cyprus Part 4 // An Evening in Paphos

lifestyle

DSC_0925

When we were in Cyprus, there was a sandstorm. Sand blown from the Sahara Dessert meant that for two days, the sky appeared cloudy.

It was such a strange thing to witness, like a cold, grey day – only it was 36C and still hot..

On one of these days, we took a short taxi ride into Pathos for a walk along the sea front and to get something to eat.

We were pulled into a restaurant by a man, who lured us in with lies to a place called the Captains Bistro.

The food wasn’t actually that good. My pizza was a bit burnt, someone ordered a well done steak and it came rare, my Dad’s calamari was raw… we complained and the manager, who was the man that told us to come in, basically said he had the best Chef on the Island and nobody has ever complained before. He didn’t care at all.

So I’d warn you all to stay away if you visit Paphos – it’s one thing to have a bad meal – even the best Chef has an off day – but for the manager to be so dismissive of our complaints shows a lack of respect and care towards customers.

I will, however, recommend to you the Rib Shack – which is easily the best place we are on our holiday. We went there twice!

Being a vegetarian, I was a bit worried about what a place called the Rib Shack would have to offer me – but these two meals were my two favourite.

The first time we went, I had vegetarian burritos, the second time, I had vegetarian fajitas and fried Camembert for a starter, which is what you can see in the pictures below. It was presented wonderfully and I couldn’t eat it all!

The meat eaters enjoyed things like steak and pork chops – the servings were all generous and we went home happy!

DSC_0910 DSC_0912 DSC_0913 DSC_0915 DSC_0916 DSC_0917 DSC_0919 DSC_0924 DSC_0925 DSC_0926 DSC_0927 DSC_0929 DSC_0930 DSC_0934 DSC_0935 DSC_0938 DSC_0939 DSC_0946 DSC_0950

• Reply Lucy September 23, 2015 at 7:36 am

You did well to find good vegetarian options in a rib shack. A sand storm sounds interesting if not a bit weird with such a high heat. Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…A very British Day outMy Profile

• Reply Georgiana September 23, 2015 at 9:57 am

I can`t believe the manager was like that…Then again,a lot of the customers are one time tourists, so he can easily trick them without worrying if they don`t come back. Still an awful thing to do! It`s good that in the end you found a restaurant that you liked.
    Georgiana recently posted…Ted Baker MakeupMy Profile

• Reply Karen September 23, 2015 at 11:42 am

I love that they haven’t ignored vegetarian meals, the food looks delish! It’s a shame about the other place and the way the manager was to you, ggrr!

x

• Reply Jackie Harrison September 23, 2015 at 11:53 am

Some restaurant cannot handle criticism like the one you and your family experience, Glad you share with us and so unfortunate you and your family had to go through that, Rib Shack sound like a better place to eat.

• Reply Mica September 23, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Oh yum, looks like the rib shack definitely made up for the terrible experience you had before! The food looks great, and sounds delicious too 🙂
    Mica recently posted…Flared Jeans, Striped Tops, Converse and Balenciaga Day BagMy Profile

• Reply Kelsey&Kenecha September 23, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Such a lovely place!

Florals&Smiles

• Reply Danielle September 23, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Sounds and looks like such an amazing time! Happy for you!

Danielle
    Danielle recently posted…Fall Favourites…….My Profile

• Reply cvetybaby September 23, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Awesome pictures Corinne! Cyprus is a wonderful place!
    xx
    cvetybaby.com
    cvetybaby recently posted…Syracuse, SicilyMy Profile

• Reply Sarah September 23, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Urgh! I hate how they try to hustle you into restaurants when you’re abroad! It drives me mad! I know they need the custom but come on! When I’m walking through Liverpool – even London, there isn’t someone outside every food establishment trying to get me through the door!

Just let me walk along, look at your menu, look at the other patrons food (if there is any – rule number 1, you never eat in an empty restaurant unless you’ve been there before!) and make a very well informed via Trip Advisor choice!

The food at the Rib Shack looks delicious!

Sarah recently posted…Social Media DetoxMy Profile

• Reply Ela September 23, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Sand storm is really bad, if you’re outside especially then you end up having sands in your eye… so much pain!
    It is good to have so much fun with a family. Looks like a really nice trip xx

Ela recently posted…Burgundy LipsMy Profile

• Reply Shireen L. Platt September 23, 2015 at 10:05 pm

So much respect that the restaurant still have options for vegetarian and holy cow, how horrid is the first restaurant?! Not the best way to do business!
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…REVIEW: SPLAT Rebellious Colors (Purple Desire)My Profile

• Reply Oksana Zolotukhina September 23, 2015 at 11:01 pm

This post is absolutely stunning! Beautiful photos! I’d love to visit Cyprus))
    Oksana Zolotukhina recently posted…Отзыв: Миндальный увлажняющий крем для чувствительной кожи Weleda Mandel Feuchtigkeitscreme.My Profile

• Reply Suze The Luxury Columnist September 24, 2015 at 3:26 pm

That’s such a shame, there are so many good restaurants in Paphos. I must write about the place we went to sometime called Seven, I think
    Suze The Luxury Columnist recently posted…Delicioius Dinner at Gallery Mess, Duke of York SquareMy Profile

• Reply marie September 24, 2015 at 6:04 pm

I would love to go to Cyprus one day !looks great 🙂

• Reply Kezzie September 24, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Veggie choices can be terrible, can’t they! I LOVE it when you get something with LOADS of ingredients- not just cheese!!!x
    It sounds great…exceptfor the Captain’s Bistro!
    P.S. Did you watch it!??!? Did you, did you!?!??!?!
    Kezzie recently posted…What is it? #37My Profile

• Reply Anca September 25, 2015 at 7:19 am

The sandstorm sounds interesting and strange. It’s great you found yummy veggie options at Rib Shack, I know it can be tricky 🙂
    Anca recently posted…New cashmere ponchoMy Profile