Posted on August 9, 2015

How to create a media pack for free // The Graphics

blog tips

mediapack2

There are several tools you can use to create your media pack.

For this tutorial, I’m going to use PicMonkey.

The only downfall to this is that when you save something, you can’t go back and edit it. If you want to be able to go back and update things such as your stats, for example, you may want to play around with Canva – though I find this a little more restrictive.

You can always save your PicMonkey image at various stages with the intention of editing it in the future, though.

Create your own media pack.

Step 1.

Go ahead and open PicMonkey. Select ‘design’ and pick a shape. I’ve gone with 5×7.

You want to keep your Media Pack in line with your brand. This includes your colour codes.

Go over to this site and open it. This tool allows you to upload any image, then select a section which will give you the HTML code of the colour. This is handy if your blog has a background colour, or a header colour that you may want to use in your media pack.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 11.51.58

The first thing I’m going to do is upload my blog header into the image.

To upload your own image in PicMonkey, go to ‘overlays’ and then ‘your own’

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 11.50.52

Step 2.

As my header and blog background is white, I’m going to keep the background of my media pack white. If yours has a colour, you may want to use the colour website above to make the colour and set this as your background colour.

Step 3.

To change the background colour, you just need to go over to basic edits -> canvas colour -> then cut and paste the HTML colour code into the colour code box.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 11.54.33

Step 4.

Nows the time to have a play around with the overlays and theme sections on PicMonkey to see what you might want to use. I’ve had a play around with the buntings, matched it to the colour scheme of my headed and stuck it up top. I’ve also duplicated this to put it at the bottom of my media pack, too.

Here’s how we’re looking so far:

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 12.03.14

You can have a play with the other things on PicMonkey, such as stars, arrows and other images. Most of which can have their colour changed.

Step 5.

The next thing I’ve done, is take then the lines that board my tabs on my blog to create something similar on my media pack. Between the lines, I’ve put some themes my blog is about in the same font as my blog.

You can upload fonts to your computer and use them within PicMonkey. My blog font is ‘Muli’.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 12.36.39

I then duplicated the grey line within PicMonkey, flipped it horizontal to split my media pack into two columns. I’m now going to save my media pack like this in case I want to update it in the future.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 12.41.39

Step 6.

Now all that’s left to do is add the text.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 13.11.52

Step 7:

Now you want to export your image as a PDF to upload. It’s simple to do this, on a Mac, all you must do is open the image – click file and then ‘export as PDF’. I would expect it’s not much different for Windows.

Here is my full media pack:

media pack finished

Have a play around with the graphics on picmonkey and create your own!

As I didn’t want the buntings in my media pack as I used them just for an example, here’s my media pack  in it’s current from in it’s PDF version. Please note that this media pack was created using Open Office Drawing – which is a free alternative of Microsoft Office and worth a download if you don’t have Office already!

Hope this helped.

• Reply Uglyfish August 9, 2015 at 8:15 am

I’d never heard of media packs before, so this was a very helpful post. You’ve created a really lovely looking, easy to read pack – I hope it works out for you. PicMonkey looks like a useful tool too!

• Reply Kirsten August 9, 2015 at 9:32 am

Wow, that looks very pretty!
    Thank for sharing.

X
    Kirsten

• Reply A for Alyce August 9, 2015 at 10:02 am

I was thinking of a new layout for my blog the other day. Media packs seems like a good idea! 😀 Thanks for sharing Corinne!

• Reply Hannah August 9, 2015 at 10:33 am

Found these tips so useful! Thank you xx
    Hannah recently posted…“You Should Eat Less,” says NurseMy Profile

• Reply Jhem Arzaga August 9, 2015 at 11:25 am

Aww.. thanks for this tutorial, Corinne,
    Well detailed and easy to follow.
    Bookmarked already!

xoxo
    Jhem | JhemSays.com
    Jhem Arzaga recently posted…A Sneak Peek on My Baby via 4D Ultrasound at 32 WeeksMy Profile

• Reply Elizabeth Rebecca August 9, 2015 at 12:44 pm

This is a really great guide – I’ve never been asked for a media pack so I’m not sure if/when I need to develop one.

Lizzie Dripping
    Elizabeth Rebecca recently posted…Friday 7th August 2015My Profile

• Reply Leanne Cornelius August 9, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Great guide, thank you!
    I’ve been thinking that I need a media pack for a while but putting it off because I had no idea where to start, you’ve actually made it seem quite simple.
    I’ve favourited this post and will hopefully find time to create mine soon!
    Leanne Cornelius recently posted…What My Baby Wore #2My Profile

• Reply Lucy August 9, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Useful advice I used word for mine as it is more flexible to go back and edit. Yours looks lovely and has the right balance of information Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Mad hatter’s afternoon teaMy Profile

• Reply Sarah August 9, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Love this! I was thinking about making a media pack but wasn’t too sure what to include! There are so many variations out there but I like yours; clear concise and tells you everything you need to know about the blog. I prefer it to the ones that plaster who they’ve worked with all across it.

Sarah recently posted…Origins Original Skin Serum & Retexturizing MaskMy Profile

• Reply Andrea August 9, 2015 at 7:22 pm

This is a great post. Medora kit is very important.

• Reply Rowena @ rolala loves August 10, 2015 at 2:14 am

A media kit is a must for a blog especially if you want to work with brands. You’ve just reminded me that I need to make some updates to mine.
    Rowena @ rolala loves recently posted…Eye Candy : An Editorial RoundupMy Profile

• Reply rosemary nardone August 10, 2015 at 10:21 pm

what a great idea I love Picmonkey it is so easy to use and you can do so much with it Great post

• Reply Akaleistar August 11, 2015 at 12:17 am

I love PicMonkey, and your media pack looks amazing!
    Akaleistar recently posted…Madison Reed: Salon Hair Color at HomeMy Profile

• Reply Arianne August 12, 2015 at 11:43 pm

oh my gosh, have I mentioned how amazing you are?? I’m bookmarking this blog post!
    Arianne recently posted…Beauty: NARS Cruella and RikugienMy Profile