Posted on May 30, 2015

How many regular readers do you have? // Find out using Google Analytics

blog tips

CHANGES TOYOUR TWITTERFEED (10)

In the most recent #socialbloggers post about blog milestones, I noticed that a lot of bloggers said they wanted to increase the amount of regular readers they had, but weren’t sure how to measure that.

So hears a quick tutorial on how to measure how many regular readers you have using Google Analytics.

How to use Google Analytics to track regular readers

Step 1: Install Google Analytics.

If you don’t have a Google Analytics account already, get yourself over to the Analytics page and set yourself up.

When you’ve set yourself up, if you’re on Blogger you need to find your tracking code and paste it into your blog header just before your close your </head> tag.

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 13.36.37

If you’re using WordPress, they are plenty of Plugins to use with Google Analytics.

Step 2: Check your Audience Overview

Log onto Google Analytics when it’s gathered enough data to show you your stats. You need to be in the ‘audience overview’ section.

Here you will see information such as your page views, sessions, average duration of each session, bounce rate and so forth.

Next to this, there will be a table that will tell you how many of your visitors are new visitors and how many are returning.

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 13.49.20

Step 3: Add segments.

At the top of the overview page, you should see the option to add Segments.

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 13.52.44

This is handy as it gives you the opportunity to compare different stats.

For example, if I keep one segment as ‘All Sessions’ and then add ‘returning users’, it will give me two graphs, one which tells me the amount of sessions and what that tells me the amount of returning users.

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 13.54.38

I got extra fancy here and added ‘New Users’ as a segment, too.

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 13.57.48

Under the graph, you can also see the bounce rate, duration, sessions, views and other stats of each Segment you select.

As you can see from mine, my returning visitors are on my blog for much longer than returning visitors and the bounce rate is much lower.

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 13.58.33

Step 4: Play around.

The segments aren’t limited to just new and returning users, you can compare a bunch of different information such as where the traffic has come from, single session users, tablet and mobile users and more.

Just have a play around and enjoy!

• Reply Kitty Kaos May 30, 2015 at 7:50 am

G.A baffles me but this has helped a lot thank you x
    Kitty Kaos recently posted…A Promise To My BodyMy Profile

• Reply Alissa May 30, 2015 at 11:10 am

I have google analytics but I don’t regularly check on it. Maybe I should from now on.
    Alissa recently posted…Asus Transformer Book Flip TP300L ReviewMy Profile

• Reply krithi May 30, 2015 at 11:31 am

this is so cool ,Im going to try right away
    thank you !!
    krithi recently posted…Instagram Life Vol.2(Selfie Addict)My Profile

• Reply Kyle Rodriguez May 30, 2015 at 11:54 am

Thanks for sharing! Interesting read <3

Kyle Rodriguez recently posted…Anotherland OOTD: “Hide & Seek”My Profile

• Reply Colleen May 30, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Google Analytics is so much fun! I’ve done a few posts on it as well. Knowledge is power!
    Colleen recently posted…CATCHING UPMy Profile

• Reply Victoria May 30, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Thank you so much for this help Corinne. My analytics have gone mad this month – not sure what I’m doing differently. It’s really nice to see who is returning and who isn’t. As I can see how it’s improved over a few months.

Thank youu!
    Victoria xx thedaisyjaynes.com

• Reply Melanie May 30, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Thanks for sharing!! I love using analytics!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com
    Melanie recently posted…Dallas Favorites: Front Room TavernMy Profile

• Reply sarah May 30, 2015 at 4:17 pm

I haven’t really thought of this, i haven’t checked how my blog is doing but after reading your post, it makes me curious ill be doing that now. Thanx!

sarah recently posted…Black and RedMy Profile

• Reply Liakada May 30, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Thanks so much for posting this, very helpful!

Ash | Liakada

• Reply Suze The Luxury Columnist May 30, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Very insightful post, Corinne – I knew about Google analytics but not about adding segments
    Suze The Luxury Columnist recently posted…My Luxury May MomentsMy Profile

• Reply Sarah May 31, 2015 at 2:57 pm

I love this little feature of GA, it’s great to see how many people come back to the blog and how many newbies are finding it on a daily basis.

Sarah recently posted…The Body Shop: Nutriganics Drops of Youth ConcentrateMy Profile

• Reply Lucy May 31, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Google analytics is useful and great for tracking progress and see how well your blog is doing. Great tips Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Parts and Labour RestaurantMy Profile

• Reply Kiki June 1, 2015 at 3:52 am

This is such a useful post! I’ll have to come back to this when I finally upgrade from a free to a self-hosted wordpress site. Thanks for sharing this!
    xo Kiki