Posted on March 18, 2015

How to write blog posts that people want to share.

blog tips

sharablecontent

After the #socialbloggers chat about writing sharable content, I wanted to write about how you can encourage people to share your posts a little more.

Getting people to share you blog posts is one of the best ways to get extra traffic and readers. People like to share content that moves them in some way, evokes an emotional reaction or is a bit clever or controversial.

This will lead to people sharing your posts on Facebook, Tweeting a link to it or even putting a link to your post on their blog.

Here are some ways you can tweak your content to encourage sharing.

1. Build trust with your audience.

It’s time consuming to build an audience that you activity engage in on your blog. You want to make sure you’re communicating with your readers in the form of responding to blog comments, answer questions, replying to Tweets and visiting other blogs.

This builds your trust and also gets your name out there. Sometimes it only takes a handful of people to share a post before others start following suit.

2. Write a title to entice.

While you don’t want to write a title that promises things that your post doesn’t deliver, you want to make your title as attractive as possible.

Aim to shock or cause curiosity. It needs to be a snappy title that people will want to share.

• Use trigger words such as how, what, when, why.
  • Use words such as facts, reasons, tricks, hacks, lessons, ideas, secrets.
  • Use adjectives such as effortless, easy, real, quick, fast, simple, smart, clever, new, incredible, astonishing, free.

Some examples:

8 simple secrets to losing 8 pounds.

5 hacks to getting your life back together after a breakup.

10 reasons why you should leave your iPhone at home.

3. Make it easy to read.

I’ve spoke about this in previous posts, but use a little words as possible.

Keep your paragraphs short, no more than 5 sentences and keep your sentences simple. Use headlines to break up text and let white space be your friend.

This makes it easier to read your post. Most people will be put off by large blogs of text.

4. Use share widgets and plugins.

There are plenty of plugins that you can install quickly onto your blog that will let readers share to social media at the click of a button.

I use DiggDigg, which you can see to the left of this post.

5. We all love a good list.

It’s true. List posts do well on social media. They’re quick and easy to read as well as right.

Some of my list posts are some of my most shared content.

6. Hit a chord.

Relatable content is sharable content.

If you’re not writing something that’s going to teach the reader something new, then write something that’s going to evoke emotion.

You want your audience to sit there and nod as their read your post. You want them to think I’ve been there, I’ve done that, that’s totally me!

Things that take people back to their teenage years, their childhood years, their university years are a good example of these. Such as TV shows you watched in the 90’s or things that were fashionable back them but horrific now (Adidas poppers and hair spraying your fringe, anyone?).

7. Just ask.

Asking people to retweet a Tweet, or share your post can be the most effective way of getting people to share your post. It’s that simple.

Giving your readers a call to action can help. Ending posts with phrases such as: Share this if you feel the same’ or ‘ Tweet this if it reminds you of your childhood’ can just be the push your audience needs!

How do you make your content sharable?

If you like this, then put a share on it 😉

Untitled3 (1)

• Reply Karen March 18, 2015 at 9:27 am

I love your posts like this, I always find them so useful and interesting to read. You are the ORACLE of the blogging world, haha! 🙂

x

• Reply Candice March 18, 2015 at 9:55 am

Thanks for sharing these great tips, definitely keeping these in mind 🙂

Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    ♥♥♥

• Reply Jackie Harrison March 18, 2015 at 10:54 am

Great tip and very helpful doll.

• Reply Olivia March 18, 2015 at 11:15 am

Very helpful post! I’ve been trying to write things to get more people engaged in my blog 🙂

Olivia x
    sunshineinadress.blogspot.com
    Olivia recently posted…London Lovin’: Afternoon Tea for Two!My Profile

• Reply Sian March 18, 2015 at 11:25 am

I often try to think of how I can make my posts more shareable. It’s something I definitely need to work on, especially in terms of making my images more “pinnable”. I normally do ask at the bottom of my posts, but this has definitely given me food for thought! 🙂

• Reply Kelsey&Kenecha March 18, 2015 at 12:00 pm

This is very helpful. & I totally agree on the catchy title the second I read a good title I’m in! haha 🙂

Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

• Reply KizzyDoll March 18, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Super tips 🙂 xx
    KizzyDoll recently posted…#LOVE is All You Need!!My Profile

• Reply Afrodite March 18, 2015 at 1:09 pm

So interesting and helpful post with tips that somebody can actually try out ^_^

BubblyBeauty
    Afrodite recently posted…The Body Shop | Smoky Poppy CollectionMy Profile

• Reply elisa March 18, 2015 at 1:45 pm

your posts are always so useful!

Nameless Fashion Blog

• Reply Rowena @ rolala loves March 18, 2015 at 2:17 pm

These are great tips! I think posts with valuable information are always more sharable as well.
    Rowena @ rolala loves recently posted…A Tale of Chanel CoutureMy Profile

• Reply Bad Taste Toast March 18, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I always like the advice you give about blogging but I’m forever too lazy to pay attention to all these points when writing a post for my own blog 😀 I’m just such a lazy bum, sorry ;p
    Bad Taste Toast recently posted…comfy and cozy – goodbye to little vanitiesMy Profile

• Reply Tyana March 18, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Love this

check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com
    Tyana recently posted…OOTD | | | BangarangMy Profile

• Reply Melanie March 18, 2015 at 4:16 pm

These are great tips. It can be hard sometimes to come up with the best content.
    Melanie @ meandmr.com
    Melanie recently posted…Conrad HotelMy Profile

• Reply Oksana March 18, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Corinne, it’s really very very tseful advice! Thanks for sharing.
    Have a nice day!
    Oksana recently posted…Отзыв: Очаровательная палетка минеральных теней от PIXI в медно-персиковых тонах #copper peach.My Profile

• Reply Shireen L. Platt March 18, 2015 at 8:39 pm

You certainly write one of the best blogging tips post, Corinne. I agree about keeping the sentence short. I have come across one blogger who writes in very long paragraphs and my eyes just glazed over after a couple of line.

Shireen | Reflection of Sanity
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…REVIEW: Essence I LOVE Stage Eyeshadow BaseMy Profile

• Reply Lucy March 18, 2015 at 8:46 pm

As always wonderful tips, lists is something that I always forget but great advice and asking people to share again great tip Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…24 Karat Gold Afternoon TeaMy Profile

• Reply Joanna March 18, 2015 at 9:06 pm

I love your suggestion to just ask- it’s simple and effective! 🙂

lovejoanna.com
    Joanna recently posted…spring has sprung at targetMy Profile

• Reply enrica March 18, 2015 at 10:56 pm

really nice post 🙂

enrica recently posted…SUNGLASSES SHOPMy Profile

• Reply Suze The Luxury Columnist March 18, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Great post Corinne and I have pinned it to Blog Tips on Pinterest. I know Diggit but I didn’t know DiggDigg
    Suze The Luxury Columnist recently posted…Ffiona’s – Best British Brunch in KensingtonMy Profile

• Reply Rachel Holliday March 18, 2015 at 11:20 pm

This is an amazing post! I agree with all of your points- readers totally love lists and countdown posts 🙂 Thanks for sharing

Rachel xx
    Rachel Holliday recently posted…The Look: IssueMy Profile

• Reply Rebeca March 19, 2015 at 2:28 am

That good tips Corinne, I will put more emphasis on encouraging my readers to share more often my post, thanks again for sharing your ideas!
    Rebeca recently posted…Falda de encaje para la oficina/ Lace dress for officeMy Profile

• Reply libys11 March 19, 2015 at 2:33 am

love keeping my posts short and i enjoy lists too!! you always have great blogging tips!! 😀

Have a Great Day!
    Animated Confessions
    libys11 recently posted…268My Profile

• Reply Noma March 19, 2015 at 5:01 am

I love this post. It’s so helpful. Thanks!

Noma recently posted…WHITE AND BLUE HEADWRAP AND JEANSMy Profile

• Reply Tina March 19, 2015 at 5:31 am

All really great tips! I think these are all the reasons why Buzzfeed got so big!

Tina
    Tina recently posted…Put a Belt On It: Forever 21 Striped Shirt DressMy Profile

• Reply Lady parisienne March 19, 2015 at 7:56 am

nice ideas!!!

• Reply Elizabeth Rebecca March 19, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I think asking my audience is something I need to do some more.

Lizzie Dripping

• Reply Arianne March 22, 2015 at 4:57 am

interesting… I always ask a question at the end of my post, but people don’t always answer it.. I tweet my posts but I don’t ask them to RT… maybe I should reconsider this..
    Arianne recently posted…Life: Current Favorite MovieMy Profile

• Reply Emily Ray March 26, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Great tips and definitely some food for thought. It always looks so easy until you start having to do it yourself 😛
    Emily Ray recently posted…How To Spend A Day In InnsbruckMy Profile

• Reply Mafer Moncada April 6, 2015 at 3:59 am

I agree with all this list. Everybody loves neat lists, they are easier to read & you never get lost. Thank you for this lovely post.

Mafer, Euphoric Wanderlust | Bloglovin x