Posted on March 10, 2015

Props for blog photos

blog tips

blogprops

An expensive camera and lens is not the secret to fantastic blog photos. It’s all about lighting and backgrounds.

Some rules I always stick too when taking photos are:

1. Use natural light, or a lighting kit.

Use an area of your house that gets natural light. I use my living room floor in front of a main window. Artificial lights will give your photos an awful tinge.

You can use lighting kits, too. But of course, these cost money and take up space.

2. Keep the background clear.

Don’t take photos with a messy background. If you’re setting something on your desk, clear it beforehand.

You don’t want your background to distract from your product or point of the photo.

3. Add a few props in the background.

This leads me to the point of todays post. Add a few props to the background of your photos. Most of these you can find around the house. Here are some of the props I use:

Artificial flowers.

DSC_0623

While real flowers work just as well, they don’t last as long as fake ones. I’ve got a selection that I keep by my bed that I bought specifically for photos.

Example: A statement Necklace with Scarlet Olive

Fairy lights

DSC_0628

I bought a small Christmas tree last December and it came with these fairy lights.

I sometimes use these lights in the background of photos as they give a lovely glow if I’m using the right settings.

I also use the fairy lights I have wrapped around the headstand of my bed in some cases.

Example: Me Me Me Beat The Blues

Candles and tea lights.

DSC_0633

Candles were the first prop I bought for taking blog photos. They look great in the background and I usually use a couple together and blur the background out.

Example: InstaNatural Hyaluronic Acid Serum // Wait – ACID?

Home decor items.

DSC_0648

I was sent this heart made of tiny bells as a valentines surprise. It’s intended to decorate your home but also makes a fantastic background item.

Technology and notebooks.

DSC_0661

Using your tech items, camera items and notebooks can make great props for posts where you’re talking about blogging, social media or life in general. I’ve put my phone and Macbook in my photos many times!

Example: 7 ways to leave great blog comments

What props do you use for blog photos?

Untitled3 (1)

• Reply cvetybaby March 10, 2015 at 9:47 am

Corinne, these ideas are awesome! I really prefer to use natural light for my pics, because my lenses are not so good for dark places.. Thanks for sharing this interesting post, always useful! Have a lovely day!
    xx
    cvetybaby.com
    cvetybaby recently posted…AlmondsMy Profile

• Reply Karen March 10, 2015 at 10:08 am

So many lovely ideas here! It’s amazing what you can find lying around the house to use! Props really make a difference to a photo 🙂

x

• Reply Jackie Harrison March 10, 2015 at 10:10 am

Great ideas and helpful tips.

• Reply Areeba March 10, 2015 at 10:15 am

Natural light is a win-win!! I always try to go with white background because it looks so neat and fine!!

• Reply KizzyDoll March 10, 2015 at 10:33 am

These are great ideas…I love natural light and sometimes use a nice wrapping paper behind my items for shooting, Lots of different things are great to use 🙂 xx
    KizzyDoll recently posted…Lately Loves!My Profile

• Reply Colleen March 10, 2015 at 11:21 am

I feel like I’m seeing fake flowers pop up more in blog photos! It’s such a great idea. I always use jewelry, books, and perfume bottles in mine.
    Colleen recently posted…BEST OF MILAN FASHION WEEK FALL 2015My Profile

• Reply Mrs C March 10, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I have the same background for my blog pictures and even my boys (who are the photographers) think that it is boring. But I just do not have the time to go out and find another location for pictures!
    Mrs C recently posted…Style :: Smart CasualMy Profile

• Reply Emily March 10, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Great post! It’s funny how some people don’t understand these basic tips for taking photographs.Changing a few simple things in photos can make a blog look 10x better!
    Emily
    Emily recently posted…DIY Mother’s Day CardMy Profile

• Reply stephanie March 10, 2015 at 2:36 pm

You know, I’ve been noticing you’ve been using candles & different things. Good idea! Makes the picture stand out more!

• Reply Shireen L. Platt March 10, 2015 at 3:39 pm

A very helpful and informative post, Corinne! I struggle with background props as you’ll notice from my pictures so this post comes in handy!

Shireen | Reflection of Sanity
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…Fudgy Nutella CupcakesMy Profile

• Reply Laura March 10, 2015 at 4:46 pm

great post – I was literally just saying I haven’t invested in a good camera yet and I always worry about my photos so these little tips will definitely help even if I’m just using my iPhone.

Do you recommend any cameras or programmes to use?
    L x

• Reply Gabrielle March 10, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I 100% agree with all of these tips. White, clear backgrounds really work well and I love putting candles in the background of photos as well 🙂

Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice

x

• Reply Gabrielle March 10, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice

x

• Reply Joanna March 10, 2015 at 5:39 pm

These are great tips, especially about using candles and other decorative items in the background!

lovejoanna.com
    Joanna recently posted…recent purchasesMy Profile

• Reply Akaleistar March 10, 2015 at 6:00 pm

So many great ideas! I love using natural light, so I try to shoot outdoors or by a window 🙂
    Akaleistar recently posted…Cinderella Shoes: The Modern Girl’s Glass SlipperMy Profile

• Reply Annick March 10, 2015 at 7:24 pm

such great tips 🙂 thanks for sharing them x

Annick recently posted…#ColourMeMarchMy Profile

• Reply Oksana March 10, 2015 at 8:26 pm

It’s very useful and informative post! Great ideas, Corinne! Thanks for sharing))
    Oksana recently posted…Отзыв: Лак для ногтей #180 «Вместе навсегда» – Sally Hansen Diamond Strength No Chip Nail Color #180 Together forever.My Profile

• Reply ~ Carmen ~ March 10, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Fantastic prop tips. I’ve somehow never thought to use fake flowers, only real ones. What a marvelous idea.

:] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

• Reply India March 10, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Your phone is blog famous. I like candles and flowers. Beauty products work well too 🙂

India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens | UK Lifestyle Blog
    India recently posted…The Subscription Box That Ruined LentMy Profile

• Reply enrica March 10, 2015 at 10:06 pm

really nice post!

enrica recently posted…TRACTBRAND: DAI UN TOCCO DI COLORE ALLA TUA VITAMy Profile

• Reply elisa March 10, 2015 at 10:17 pm

amazing tips!
    Nameless Fashion Blog

• Reply Lucy March 10, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Great suggestions the British winter plays havoc with taking pictures, sometimes artificial light is needed. Best tip is wallpaper you can get it free and great great backdrops Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Start the morning the right wayMy Profile

• Reply Rachel Holliday March 10, 2015 at 10:34 pm

These are great tips! I love using fake flowers as props in my photos 🙂

Rachel xx
    Rachel Holliday recently posted…The Look: The Stars Are FireMy Profile

• Reply Molly March 11, 2015 at 12:08 am

Great tips! I use fake flowers, too, they are a great prop. Also, scrapbook paper and colored fabric. And cute napkins for food posts!
    Molly recently posted…Bits + Pieces Travel EditionMy Profile

• Reply Rebecca Ellis March 11, 2015 at 12:19 am

Great tips! 🙂 I love using natural light for photos, definitely works a lot better I think x

• Reply Lorraine March 11, 2015 at 12:48 am

I’m gonna get my hands on some artifical flowers, yours look gorgeous!

If the post is on makeup, which they mostly are, I just use my prettier compacts in the background. Other times, I pick lipsticks with punchy colours. Sometime to make it not look like a stock photo!
    Lorraine recently posted…Best Coral Blushes – Clinique, Sleek, The Body Shop and BourjoisMy Profile

• Reply libys11 March 11, 2015 at 1:42 am

totally agree, good lighting is key!! 😀

Animated Confessions
    libys11 recently posted…266My Profile

• Reply Candice March 11, 2015 at 11:43 am

These are great props

Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    ♥♥♥

• Reply Tyana March 11, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Love this, I totally try to do it but mine look wierd lol

check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com
    Tyana recently posted…Cheer Formal | | OOTN | | | 2015My Profile

• Reply Caro* March 11, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Cute ideas. I love candles 🙂
    Caro* recently posted…Western.My Profile

• Reply Sarah March 11, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I’ve started using backgrounds in my images and have been having a play around with props, but taking all my pictures on my iPhone makes it a little more fiddly! Now the weather is getting better I’m able to use more natural light too, the lighting is shocking where I live and I struggle so much, well that, and I always take my photos at the wrong time of the day lol!

Sarah recently posted…February 2015 Favourites!My Profile

• Reply krithi March 12, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Cool Ideas …love the candles ideas actually
    i will use for sure 🙂
    krithi recently posted…Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner Intense Black ReviewMy Profile

• Reply Karishma Ravalia March 13, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Love these ideas. I tend to use home decor as well. Or sometimes use my bedsheets as a background if they’re pretty x

• Reply Arianne March 15, 2015 at 4:54 am

for now I just have the fake flowers… I love taking photographs of food though, so I mostly focus on that. I get so frustrated with product photography coz I just can’t seem to get it right.
    Arianne recently posted…Food: Snooze: An AM EateryMy Profile