Props for blog photos

blogprops

An expensive camera and lens is not the secret to fantastic blog photos. It’s all about lighting and backgrounds.

Some rules I always stick too when taking photos are:

1. Use natural light, or a lighting kit.

Use an area of your house that gets natural light. I use my living room floor in front of a main window. Artificial lights will give your photos an awful tinge.

You can use lighting kits, too. But of course, these cost money and take up space.

2. Keep the background clear.

Don’t take photos with a messy background. If you’re setting something on your desk, clear it beforehand.

You don’t want your background to distract from your product or point of the photo.

3. Add a few props in the background.

This leads me to the point of todays post. Add a few props to the background of your photos. Most of these you can find around the house. Here are some of the props I use:

Artificial flowers.

DSC_0623

While real flowers work just as well, they don’t last as long as fake ones. I’ve got a selection that I keep by my bed that I bought specifically for photos.

Example: A statement Necklace with Scarlet Olive

Fairy lights

DSC_0628

I bought a small Christmas tree last December and it came with these fairy lights.

I sometimes use these lights in the background of photos as they give a lovely glow if I’m using the right settings.

I also use the fairy lights I have wrapped around the headstand of my bed in some cases.

Example: Me Me Me Beat The Blues

Candles and tea lights.

DSC_0633

Candles were the first prop I bought for taking blog photos. They look great in the background and I usually use a couple together and blur the background out.

Example: InstaNatural Hyaluronic Acid Serum // Wait – ACID?

Home decor items.

DSC_0648

I was sent this heart made of tiny bells as a valentines surprise. It’s intended to decorate your home but also makes a fantastic background item.

Technology and notebooks.

DSC_0661

Using your tech items, camera items and notebooks can make great props for posts where you’re talking about blogging, social media or life in general. I’ve put my phone and Macbook in my photos many times!

Example: 7 ways to leave great blog comments

What props do you use for blog photos?

Untitled3 (1)

1. March 10, 2015 / 9:47 am

Corinne, these ideas are awesome! I really prefer to use natural light for my pics, because my lenses are not so good for dark places.. Thanks for sharing this interesting post, always useful! Have a lovely day!
    xx
    cvetybaby.com
    cvetybaby recently posted…AlmondsMy Profile

2. March 10, 2015 / 10:08 am

So many lovely ideas here! It’s amazing what you can find lying around the house to use! Props really make a difference to a photo 🙂

x

3. Jackie Harrison
    March 10, 2015 / 10:10 am

Great ideas and helpful tips.

4. March 10, 2015 / 10:15 am

Natural light is a win-win!! I always try to go with white background because it looks so neat and fine!!

5. March 10, 2015 / 10:33 am

These are great ideas…I love natural light and sometimes use a nice wrapping paper behind my items for shooting, Lots of different things are great to use 🙂 xx
    KizzyDoll recently posted…Lately Loves!My Profile

6. March 10, 2015 / 11:21 am

I feel like I’m seeing fake flowers pop up more in blog photos! It’s such a great idea. I always use jewelry, books, and perfume bottles in mine.
    Colleen recently posted…BEST OF MILAN FASHION WEEK FALL 2015My Profile

7. March 10, 2015 / 12:19 pm

I have the same background for my blog pictures and even my boys (who are the photographers) think that it is boring. But I just do not have the time to go out and find another location for pictures!
    Mrs C recently posted…Style :: Smart CasualMy Profile

8. March 10, 2015 / 2:36 pm

You know, I’ve been noticing you’ve been using candles & different things. Good idea! Makes the picture stand out more!

9. March 10, 2015 / 4:46 pm

great post – I was literally just saying I haven’t invested in a good camera yet and I always worry about my photos so these little tips will definitely help even if I’m just using my iPhone.

Do you recommend any cameras or programmes to use?
    L x

10. Gabrielle
    March 10, 2015 / 5:29 pm

I 100% agree with all of these tips. White, clear backgrounds really work well and I love putting candles in the background of photos as well 🙂

Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice

x

11. Gabrielle
    March 10, 2015 / 5:29 pm

Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice

x

12. March 10, 2015 / 10:18 pm

Great suggestions the British winter plays havoc with taking pictures, sometimes artificial light is needed. Best tip is wallpaper you can get it free and great great backdrops Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Start the morning the right wayMy Profile

13. March 11, 2015 / 12:08 am

Great tips! I use fake flowers, too, they are a great prop. Also, scrapbook paper and colored fabric. And cute napkins for food posts!
    Molly recently posted…Bits + Pieces Travel EditionMy Profile

14. Rebecca Ellis
    March 11, 2015 / 12:19 am

Great tips! 🙂 I love using natural light for photos, definitely works a lot better I think x

15. March 11, 2015 / 12:48 am

I’m gonna get my hands on some artifical flowers, yours look gorgeous!

If the post is on makeup, which they mostly are, I just use my prettier compacts in the background. Other times, I pick lipsticks with punchy colours. Sometime to make it not look like a stock photo!
    Lorraine recently posted…Best Coral Blushes – Clinique, Sleek, The Body Shop and BourjoisMy Profile

16. March 11, 2015 / 3:51 pm

Love this, I totally try to do it but mine look wierd lol

check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com
    Tyana recently posted…Cheer Formal | | OOTN | | | 2015My Profile

17. March 11, 2015 / 8:29 pm

Cute ideas. I love candles 🙂
    Caro* recently posted…Western.My Profile

18. March 11, 2015 / 8:42 pm

I’ve started using backgrounds in my images and have been having a play around with props, but taking all my pictures on my iPhone makes it a little more fiddly! Now the weather is getting better I’m able to use more natural light too, the lighting is shocking where I live and I struggle so much, well that, and I always take my photos at the wrong time of the day lol!

Sarah recently posted…February 2015 Favourites!My Profile

19. March 13, 2015 / 9:37 pm

Love these ideas. I tend to use home decor as well. Or sometimes use my bedsheets as a background if they’re pretty x

20. March 15, 2015 / 4:54 am

for now I just have the fake flowers… I love taking photographs of food though, so I mostly focus on that. I get so frustrated with product photography coz I just can’t seem to get it right.
    Arianne recently posted…Food: Snooze: An AM EateryMy Profile