8 handy time hacks for bloggers

timehacks

Time time time time.

None of us have enough of it. But it’s surprising how much time we can waste without realising it.

I’m always looking for ways to make the most out of my days, especially while trying to work full time, workout daily, blog daily on skinnedcartree and post three/four times a week on my fitness blog. It can be hard to fit much else in to my days.

But I manage to do it by sticking to some simple rules that ensures I make the most of every single minute of my day.

time hacks

1. Put your phone on silent.

Obsessively checking my phone is something that can suck a lot of my time. It only takes a Twitter notification to flash up, then before I know it I’m checking Twitter, Instagram and having just one more go at level 505 of Candy Crush. 15 minutes has gone by and I’ve not really achieved anything.

Put it on silent and leave it face down. It’s distracting.

2. The two minute rule.

If something will take less than two minute rule, just do it.

Sure, you can sit and write a list, schedule time in your day to get this done, but you can easily get a handful of tasks over and done within less than 10 minutes!

3. Stop multi-tasking.

People kid themselves into thinking they can do two things at once.

Really, you’re taking longer to do two things and you’re not producing your best work.

Sometimes I try to catch up on a TV show while blogging and I find that I either don’t take in what’s happening on the TV show or I don’t get much blogging done at all.

If you give your task your full attention, you’re going to get it done quicker and it will need less editing later down the line.

4. Get things the you dread out of the way ASAP.

Is there a task you’re dreading doing today because it’s hard, boring, stressful or might be an awkward conversation with someone?

Get it out of the way at the start of your day.

Then you can enjoy the rest of the day without being distracted by it’s burden.

5. Plan, Do, Review

I’ll tell you why I fail at a lot of things? It’s because I set the intention of doing them but I don’t follow up.

Have your to-do list to hand and make it the first thing you look at in a morning and the last thing you look at before you wind down for the day.

I forget to do most things if I don’t remind myself to stick to my personal goals or have no way of keeping myself accountable.

This is the main reason why I write a fitness update post every Monday on my fitness blog which details the exercise I’ve done the previous week.

6. Be stubborn.

I’m a stubborn as hell. To the point where I would even spite myself to prove a point.

This comes in handy when getting things done. For example, when I was doing a 30 day yoga challenge and I refused to let anything get in the way of missing a day.

When an old colleague told me that he didn’t think I could stop smoking for longer than a month, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. When someone said me going vegetarian ‘wouldn’t last long’, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

See the pattern?

My stubborn nature can come in handy. The more stubborn you are, the easier it can be to stick to your goals. Especially if other people know about them.

And especially if they doubt you.

7. Put your problems aside.

Do you know how much time we spend worrying about things? It can become a real distraction and can make it hard to focus on what we need to do.

There are times when I can find my mind wandering into worry about something so much I find it hard to concentrate on anything else. I try to forget about yesterday and tomorrow as those are things I cannot do anything about.

I just focus on one day at a time as everything else is out of my control.

8. Set your alarm a few minutes earlier.

I set my alarm for around 15 minutes before I need to get up. I’m useless at getting up right away anyway, but this gives me 15 mins to do things that would usually leave me running late.

I usually check instagram and my e-mails in this time, then get up and start my day not feeling like I need to get online and it also helps me wake up.

How do you get everything done?

Untitled3 (1)

• Corinne
      March 9, 2015 / 2:16 pm

It’s never my friend. 🙁

1. February 28, 2015 / 12:42 pm

I can’t watch tv and blog/use computer either. Well I can, but like you say I don’t watch it properly, so there is no point in it!

I’m bad for worrying about the upcoming days, in fact I spend more time worrying and thinking about what I need to do than just doing it.

I could never get up 15 minutes earlier, if I set my alarm for that it would mean 15 more like in! I’m better just to stay up later and do things, mornings are a no-go!! xx
    Amy recently posted…Where this girl’s been atMy Profile

• Corinne
      March 9, 2015 / 2:20 pm

If I didn’t set it earlier, I just wouldn’t get up!

2. February 28, 2015 / 2:37 pm

I need to be clever when it comes to time management. I am always struggling between college, studies, chores and blogging. It is too much sometimes.

3. February 28, 2015 / 3:41 pm

I set my alarm earlier and find that a massive help – I also think a short nap can help after work so I wake up refreshed and ready to go.

Lizzie Dripping

4. February 28, 2015 / 4:14 pm

GRAT LIST! I have to start using the two minute rule and I also need to stop making lists!!

honestly I have spent the last 10 HOURS today preparing today’s post, I don’t know how other bloggers do things so efficiently.

I must be the slowest blogger in the universe and you’ve just inspired me to get faster!

Angie from reasons to dress
    Angie recently posted…LA GIOJA di Susanna Martini, Murano Glass Jewellery in ModenaMy Profile

• Corinne
      March 9, 2015 / 2:22 pm

10 hours!!!! Wow, that is a long time! Your posts are generally quite long though 🙂

5. February 28, 2015 / 8:05 pm

Loving the two minute rule one, I always leave silly things til the last minute even if they don’t take long! Doing the thing you dread most, first is also really good advice, you feel so much better and can carry on your day without that big cloud over you!

cottonandcandie xx
    Emily recently posted…You don’t scrub up too badly! The Kiss: Lush.My Profile

6. February 28, 2015 / 8:14 pm

hah ! Love those tips ! So saving them for later. You wouldn’t believe but I was writing a while ago a college work about being tired at work and that was the first time I heard about the 2 min rule and now I’m so happy reading about it again 🙂
    DainteShop recently posted…New Blog LookMy Profile

7. February 28, 2015 / 8:28 pm

A great list I spend my life worrying and procrastinating. The two second rule is a great one, why put off tomorrow what you can do today. I am a multi task but you are so right that it takes a lot longer, just do one task and then move on Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Crystal Palace ParkMy Profile

• Corinne
      March 9, 2015 / 2:24 pm

I always put stuff off, it’s a terrible habit I need to learn how to break!

8. February 28, 2015 / 9:54 pm

The 2 minute rule. I need to use the 2 minute rule. I don’t, but I need to. Ahh maybe I could schedule some time to do everything that would take 2 minutes into a time slot? No. I can do them… not now. Ahh I don’t know. My time management needs improvement ASAP. Before assessments start.

-M
    The Life of Little Me
    M recently posted…A Bundle of Questions, Answers and FactsMy Profile

• Corinne
      March 9, 2015 / 2:26 pm

I hear ya, bro.

9. February 28, 2015 / 10:42 pm

I like the two minute rule! I’m not sure if I do this subconsciously or not but now I will definitely think about it when looking at my to-do list. My best time hack is just to make lists. They sort out all the jumble in my brain and make me productive to crossing things out.
    Olivia | Her Name Was Celebration
    Olivia recently posted…We Ditch The Whole Scene And End Up DreamingMy Profile

• Corinne
      March 9, 2015 / 2:28 pm

Sorting out brain jumble is so important!

10. Annabel
    March 1, 2015 / 12:19 am

Putting my phone on silent still doesn’t work for me…I just have to put it in a entirely separate room. No self control obviously!

Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

• Corinne
      March 9, 2015 / 2:30 pm

Haha! Sometimes I leave mine in my room and sit in silence on my laptop in the living room. I get more stuff done then!

11. March 1, 2015 / 1:55 am

Love this post, nice tips. ^^
    Have a nice Sunday…

12. March 1, 2015 / 2:50 am

these are such good tips! I need to put them into practice! 🙂

I like the two minute rule one, I’d never heard of that before, sounds like a good one!

I found a lot of the day gets away from me! It’s worth tracking time to see where it all goes! Now I’m a lot better at setting aside a time to do set things. I’m trying to get more into a routine (as much as a can with a baby!) so that I can still juggle everything when I go back to work!
    Mica recently posted…Neutral Dresses – Black Maxi and Grey Skater with Hobo BagsMy Profile

• Corinne
      March 9, 2015 / 3:07 pm

There’s nothing worse when you can’t actually remember what you’ve done in a day. It happens to me way too much.

13. March 1, 2015 / 3:04 am

def need this

check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com
    Tyana recently posted…OOTD | | | GoosebumpsMy Profile

14. March 1, 2015 / 3:32 am

This sounds a good idea. I always have troubles in managing my time and I always procrastinate. hahaha. WIll try this! Nice post here 🙂

15. March 1, 2015 / 5:00 am

Thanks for these tips! I wish I’m as stubborn as you. I mean, I am but usually I’m just like, why do I even care when they doubt me? And I will just give up. :/
    Alissa recently posted…Life Currently #7My Profile

16. March 1, 2015 / 11:50 am

I definitely live my life by Number 4 which is good. I do want to start getting up early. Those morning when I’ve woken up 15 minutes or so early, I’m surprised how many little jobs I’ve got done!
    Victoria xx
    thedaisyjaynes.com
    Victoria recently posted…My week in picturesMy Profile

17. March 1, 2015 / 7:13 pm

I obsessively check my phone, too… right now though, it’s in my room while I do a blog comment spree until my computer is dead 🙂 It’s a bit refreshing actually.

Arianne

18. March 1, 2015 / 9:14 pm

I love this, I really need to get better at time management! Totally printing this and pinning it to my wall.
    Katie recently posted…February Wrap UpMy Profile

19. March 2, 2015 / 4:46 am

All great advice! I especially love the two minute rule (time to go start a load of laundry!).
    x Julia
    Julia Richey recently posted…Thai Coconut Black RiceMy Profile

20. March 3, 2015 / 7:33 am

Number 1 and 3 are my new goals for getting stuff done, I am so bad at both! Easily distracted 😛
    Meg recently posted…Three Thoughts #13My Profile

21. Dannie
    March 3, 2015 / 6:38 pm

I always use the two minute rule to motivate me to do things 🙂 wish I had learned about it sooner!

Dannie x

22. March 6, 2015 / 12:32 pm

Hmm THis is indeed one post that every blogger (old and new) can learn from. We work differently but I see you got all the things we all need to earn about.

About the planning, I do that every time but yeah more often I would fail in following thme, seems I am not that stubborn yet haha. And the “Advanced Alarm”? Been doing it for years! (I got my clock advanced 30minutes)

well great job here!
    AnakiluhMD recently posted…Witnessing the Colors of the World!My Profile

• Corinne
      March 9, 2015 / 3:10 pm

Haha. Clock advanced 30 mins? That’s mental!

23. March 6, 2015 / 8:53 pm

I’m a huge fan of the 2 minute rule, that’s how I finally got my lazy self to make my bed every day. It really makes me feel like my whole room is cleaner.

Kindness is the best accessory,
    Rebecca
    Rebecca Kelsey Sampson recently posted…My Easy 10-Minute Curly Hair RoutineMy Profile

• Corinne
      March 9, 2015 / 3:11 pm

It does make a huge difference!

24. March 7, 2015 / 9:02 pm

YES! will definitely try the things that I dont follow yet – Phone is always silent already and Multitasking limited to food XD
    Ramona recently posted…A City In Review, Munich.My Profile