Posted on January 26, 2015

#socialbloggers 48 // Being Unique

#socialbloggers

With the number of people starting blogs, it’s harder than ever to stand out from the crowd. While everyone likes to think of themselves as different, you can’t ignore the amount of blogs that are very similar in layout, style and types of posts.

The thing that makes your blog unique is you. It’s your stories, your feelings and sharing the little parts of you with the world.

That’s why I think it’s important to remember that it’s a blog we’re running, not a review site, advert or magazine. So regardless of what you’re writing about, try to inject a bit of your personality into each post, whether it be in your writing style, your word choice, phrases you use often or stories that relate to your life experiences.

It takes time to develop your own blog style and the measure of success isn’t clear cut.

For me, if people felt as though that could read a blog posts by me and recognise it as mine, even if my name wasn’t attached to it, that would be my measure of success.

DSC_0349

Q1: What makes a blog stand out from the rest?

Q2: What do you think makes your blog unique?

Q3: How do you find/develop your writing style?

Q4: How do you hope others see your blog?

Q5: Have you got any goals to help you stand out from the crowd?

• Reply ISABEL - EL SECRETO DE MISTER CLOSET January 26, 2015 at 10:20 am

I like blogs with interesting articles and an unmistakable personal stamp.
    ISABEL – EL SECRETO DE MISTER CLOSET recently posted…REBAJAS HOMBREMy Profile

• Reply Candice January 26, 2015 at 10:27 am

Definitely have to agree with you personality is key!! Everyone is different and writes different so blogs will always differ from eachother..

Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    ♥♥♥

• Reply Joanna January 26, 2015 at 10:56 am

Great points, Corinne!! I love how your personality comes through in your writing and it’s definitely one of the many reasons I’m drawn to your blog!

lovejoanna.com
    Joanna recently posted…spring styleMy Profile

• Reply Corinne January 28, 2015 at 12:12 am

I’m glad you think so, it’s something I really try to work hard at!

• Reply Karen January 26, 2015 at 11:00 am

Aw I couldn’t join in this chat but it looks like it was a really fun, interesting one! I love these summaries, as you know 😀

x

• Reply Corinne January 28, 2015 at 12:12 am

Hopefully you can join is this week 🙂

• Reply Jeanne January 26, 2015 at 11:06 am

So true! It is in fact difficult to stand out with the number of blogs. You just have to stay true to yourself.

• Reply KizzyDoll January 26, 2015 at 11:08 am

It is important to stand out and just be yourself, I think a lot get caught up in what they should do to make their blogs big instead of just being themselves and letting people come naturally. All of my blog is me, I’m not interested in what others do, I do what feels natural for me to do. I appreciate it when other blogs do the same because then I can connect with their blogs better even if it’s a completely different kind of blog to mine, makes it even better 🙂 xx
    KizzyDoll recently posted…Glitter Me This, Glitter Me That!My Profile

• Reply Corinne January 28, 2015 at 12:15 am

Yeah it’s great when you let yourself shine through, rather than trying to mirror others. I love how your posts are always full of bright, bizarre and brilliant things!

• Reply jackie harrison January 26, 2015 at 11:33 am

Is great when everyone shows their own personality through their blog it makes it unique and interesting. I know I like being me and when I started blogging I knew I will cover everything I like to do in my own way. Cool discussion.

• Reply Amy January 26, 2015 at 11:50 am

Yes! My rubbish blog design isn’t because I’m inept, it’s because I’m being unique! 😉
    Amy recently posted…5 things about my cruiseMy Profile

• Reply Corinne January 28, 2015 at 12:17 am

Haha, don’t be silly!

• Reply Colleen January 26, 2015 at 12:10 pm

I feel that my blog has a unique writing style and personality….it’s the blog design that I feel is lacking. I’m just using a blogger template right now. I have a dark grey background instead of a white background….so that’s sort of unique right? All the templates you can buy kind of look the same, and yet I still want to upgrade. It’s a pickle!
    Colleen recently posted…WHAT I DID THIS WEEKENDMy Profile

• Reply Corinne January 28, 2015 at 12:18 am

Yeah – you can start tweaking your design though, that’s what I did with my previous one. Started changing little things, like link colours, social media buttons, the width of the post etc. It’s pretty easy if you take it one task at a time!

• Reply cvetybaby January 26, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Great post! All of your posts are so interesting and helpful! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful week!
    xx
    cvetybaby.com
    cvetybaby recently posted…Italian InspirationMy Profile

• Reply Marie January 26, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Great points I personally find it difficult to write personal posts but that’s just meeeeeeeeeeeeee xox

• Reply Marija January 26, 2015 at 3:36 pm

You are right, but I just write it and don’t think much cause it all depends of my mood 😉 xoxo
    Marija recently posted…Outfit | Red in detailsMy Profile

• Reply Shireen L. Platt January 26, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I’m not sure if my blog is unique, I would like to think so but I highly doubt it. I personally write the way I speak in real life, what you read is basically what you get with me in real life. A little cussing here and there and stupid humour.
    Just keep doing what you’re doing, Corinne. I love your style, love your blog and I personally can feel your personality through your writing and it’s something that I thoroughly enjoy! xx

Shireen | Reflection of Sanity
    Shireen L. Platt recently posted…TAG TIME: Versatile Blogger AwardMy Profile

• Reply Corinne January 28, 2015 at 12:20 am

Stupid humour is the best <3

• Reply Kelsey&Kenecha January 26, 2015 at 4:44 pm

We just love reading blogs when people are being themselves. It is so great to get to know other people 🙂

twitter.com/floralandsmiles

• Reply Rowena @ rolala loves January 26, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I would agree that being able to inject your personality into your blog is really important. The biggest compliment my friends who read my blog can give me is telling me that the voice of it sounds like me.
    Rowena @ rolala loves recently posted…Dine Out : Arcade BakeryMy Profile

• Reply ~ Carmen ~ January 26, 2015 at 5:54 pm

I love a blogger with personality. Like Jessica said, you don’t have to share personal info to have a personality, but people definitely want to get to know you. Otherwise, what keeps them coming back? Even a random post can have elements of personality in it.

:] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

• Reply Corinne January 28, 2015 at 12:21 am

Exactly! I try to share just a bit of personal stuff in a post to inject a bit of me into it!

• Reply Victoria January 26, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Sad to have missed this week social chat! I’m still trying to find my own writing style but I’m getting there I hope. It’s strange because I haven’t seen a blog layout like mine which makes me feel I’m unique but I still fall into the trap of thinking is mine so different it puts people off so I keep asking my brother to add more bits to the site to make me like other blogs which isn’t healthy either!
    Victoria xx
    thedaisyjaynes.com
    Victoria recently posted…Office ChicMy Profile

• Reply Corinne January 28, 2015 at 12:23 am

Stick to your different layout! As long as you like it, that’s fine, only make it look like others if YOU want it to look like that!

• Reply Oksana January 26, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Very true dear! Thanks for your advice)))
    Have a nice day!

Oksana recently posted…Отзыв: Гелевая подводка для глаз Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof gel eyeliner.My Profile

• Reply Mili January 26, 2015 at 11:41 pm

I always appreciate a blog with a clear voice and it’s something I aim for myself. I agree with a lot of the twitter responses, pretty pictures lure me in too 🙂

Mili

• Reply Elizabeth Rebecca January 27, 2015 at 12:25 am

I think my battle with my blog is that a diary is a bit like Marmite – some people love it and other people hate it.

Lizzie Dripping
    Elizabeth Rebecca recently posted…Saturday 24th January 2015My Profile

• Reply Anouk January 27, 2015 at 6:07 am

I like blogs with great photos and where the bloggers share their personal view of the world/life. It’s true that many blogs are similar and there are too many that play it safe trying to please their readers.

Anouk recently posted…Memories of… Morocco Part I: MarrakechMy Profile

• Reply Heather January 27, 2015 at 8:30 am

I like when blogs don’t have too much clutter and they are fun to read

Heather recently posted…I Chopped My Hair OffMy Profile

• Reply Tyana January 27, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Love this

check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

• Reply K / Pure & Complex January 27, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Being unique in a seas of bloggers can be difficult. And you’re right, so many bloggers follow trends but in order to be seen you have to be yourself. I think some bloggers forget that. Great post
    K / Pure & Complex recently posted…ABOUT YOUR DREAMS…My Profile

• Reply Caro* January 29, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Personality and be yourself are the most important things for a blog.
    Very nice post Corinne. Kisses 🙂
    Caro* recently posted…A l’aise lutin Blaise !My Profile

• Reply Lucy January 30, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Great chat as always. You manage really well to make your blog your own personal space and your personality shines through. I find it quite hard to strike the balance but I try to share my world and hope that people enjoy reading it Lucy x
    Lucy recently posted…Aromatherapy AssociatesMy Profile

• Reply Rebecca Ellis January 30, 2015 at 6:53 pm

This is really interesting 🙂 I just started writing a blog, so I hope some of these are noticeable on my posts 🙂 x

• Reply Kel February 3, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Woo, I don’t know whether to be thrilled to be included in your round up or embarrassed that I sound like a bit of a knob 🙂
    I reckon I could spot one of your posts in a crowd !
    Kel recently posted…New Year, New You – Dining Event at The Light, LeedsMy Profile

• Reply Laura February 4, 2015 at 2:39 pm

I love this post. Actually all of your social blogger posts are so interesting and bring up a lot of good topics! I’ve just started my blog recently and am still struggling to find my own voice and not try to compete with everything I am seeing, but its tough!
    Laura recently posted…Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas for HimMy Profile