Posted on December 5, 2014

8 quick tips for writing sponsored posts

blog tips

writingsponsoredpostsBy sponsored posts, I’m talking about any projects you are working on with a brand. Whether it is a post in exchange for cash, reviewing a product or another type of incentive, here’s how to approach sponsored posts in the most efficient way to keep both you and the PR happy.

Top Tips on How to Write a Sponsored Posts

1. Don’t accept posts outside of your blogs niche.

It will stand out like a sore thumb if you suddenly write about something that isn’t within your usual interests or what you post about.

It might be temping to accept for something free, but you’re probably not likely to even use the free product!

2. Don’t accept too many at once.

You don’t want every post to be sponsored as you don’t want to be stressing out about when you’re going to have the chance to write and post all these reviews!

I make sure I have a simple list of pending projects, starting from when I’ve agreed to do the post and ending when I’ve published it so I can keep a track of how many I’ve got going on at once.

3. Plan ahead so you know when you are going to post what.

I don’t know how many times I’ve mentioned planning posts and scheduling them on this blog. But it’s probably the best piece of advice I’ve ever gotten and could ever give.

As soon as an item has arrived, or as soon as I’ve agreed to a sponsored post, I’ll put into my editorial calendar when I am going to publish the post – ensuring I have the time to take photos, write and edit.

4. Keep the PR updated

If the post doesn’t rely on you getting a product to review, you can agree a publish date from the get go. If you’re reviewing a product, then I like to e-mail the PR when it as arrived to let them know when I am going to publish it to keep them in the loop.

5. Aim to have it up within 2 weeks.

I aim for within 7 days after the product has hit my doorstep. I like to think that as soon as you agree to work with a brand, it’s an unspoken contract and it’s very important to keep up your side of the deal as well as be professional.

Even if you aren’t being paid to write about the product, most PRs will be under some sort of pressure for results or have KPIs to hit!

6. If it doesn’t seem right and leave you feeling a bit icky, then refuse it.

I’ve accepted icky feeling posts before when I was new to blogging, I probably would have accepted almost anything.

Some companies will try to rip you off by using your naivety to benefit more than you will gain.

Read this post for more information: When to say NO to sponsored posts.

7. Remember to disclose it’s sponsored.

You don’t, by law, have to disclose when you’ve been sent a product to review. You do, however, have to disclosed if there’s been an exchange in cash.

Either way, it’s a good idea to let your audience know as many people might feel you’re not being honest with them if you don’t. Even if the fact that the product has been gifted to you has not influenced you in anyway, you want to keep that sense of honestly and trust with your readers.

8. It’s good to be professional, but try not to be overly formal.

It’s a blog, not a magazine. Let your personality shine through. It can be tempting to want to write a very matter of fact article about the product in question.

Just be yourself, write how you speak or how you write every other post and have fun with it!

What are your top tips when writing sponsored posts?

Untitled

• Reply Candice December 5, 2014 at 9:13 am

Thanks so much for sharing these amazing tips!

Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    xoxo

• Reply leah December 5, 2014 at 9:38 am

I’ve never done a sponsored post but I’ll definitely keep these tipsnin mind! Great advice. X x

• Reply Neesha December 5, 2014 at 9:41 am

I haven’t done a sponsored posts yet but this will be super helpful if I get the opportunity!

• Reply Corinne December 8, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Glad you found the post helpful!

• Reply jackie harrison December 5, 2014 at 11:37 am

Great tips very helpful. Have a lovely weekend.

• Reply Rafaela December 5, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Nice post, loved the tips!!

• Reply Lucy December 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Great tips as always! I totally agree that you shouldn’t accept something if it does not fit in with your blog! Have a lovely weekend 🙂 xx

• Reply Shoes & Roses (@shoesandroses) December 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Thanks for such a great post! I’m still new to blogging so haven’t had the chance to work with sponsors, have bookmarked this so I would definitely be re-reading the tips again when the time comes! Xx

Shaqinah // Shoes & Roses

• Reply Corinne December 8, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I’m sure the time will come in not time at all!

• Reply Georgie December 5, 2014 at 1:44 pm

These are really good tips! Especially about spacing sponsored posts out. Definitely true about companies trying to rip you off thinking you’re naive too, I was recently asked to dedicate an entire post with quite a bit of writing for company for about $5 – pretty cheeky really! xx

☾ Liquorice Pearls ☾

• Reply Rowena @ rolala loves December 5, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Fantastic tips! Yes to #6!

• Reply Shireen L. Platt December 5, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I agree with these tips, very helpful. I have done a few sponsored post and have refused a few too. You’re right about feeling icky and I think it’s great to hear your gut feeling. When something doesn’t feel right, it usually isn’t. I wish more bloggers think of their readers instead of the money and free products, I’ve seen a few blogs promoting and gushing about online sites that has horrible reviews and it makes me very sceptical about the blogger. :-/

Reflection of Sanity | Smashbox Giveaway

• Reply Corinne December 8, 2014 at 3:56 pm

It can be difficult to turn things down at first, but in time you get to see that they’re not great offers and better things will come!

• Reply Lucy December 5, 2014 at 5:06 pm

All great tips, it is difficult being a new blog and how to handle sponsored posts but the eight tips are perfect ones to follow Lucy x

• Reply Corinne December 8, 2014 at 3:56 pm

It can be hard to start with, also a bit scary!

• Reply Sophie Leigh December 5, 2014 at 5:48 pm

This is a really great post, I’m so unorganised when it comes to sponsored posts they send me into meltdown mode! There’s some really brilliant tips here, I think this would be especially helpful to newer bloggers

Sophie x | sophhskii.co.uk

• Reply Corinne December 8, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Ahh, I’m sorry they turn you into meltdown mode – they do get easier and easier though 🙂

• Reply Tyana December 5, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I’ve never really had sponsored posts but I know what to do when I get them

check out todays blogmas
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

• Reply Elizabeth Rebecca December 5, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Great advice – I’m wary of doing too much as brands start to contact me.

Lizzie’s Daily Blog

• Reply Amber December 5, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Great tips as per usual Corinne! Love it 🙂 xx

• Reply Joanna December 5, 2014 at 8:54 pm

These are wonderful tips! I love the point you made about not accepting products that aren’t relevant to your blog. It’s more important to maintain your brand’s integrity!

lovejoanna.com

• Reply Corinne December 8, 2014 at 3:58 pm

It’s so important! You’ve got to resist the temptation and initial excitement when you first get offered something, my first few offers were awful!

• Reply Amber December 5, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Great advice 🙂 I turn down the majority of offers for sponsored posts because it’s just not something I want to write about or I just don’t feel inspired. And I find it hard to fit in time to write as it is so I want my writing time to be enjoyable! xo

• Reply gabs December 6, 2014 at 2:48 am

Good idea, the last thing you want to do is to sound fake which most other bloggers who do them end up sounding, if you know what I mean 🙂

• Reply Oksana December 5, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Really useful post! Thanks for sharing Corinne))

• Reply gabs December 6, 2014 at 2:46 am

Good tips. I often find sponsored blogs annoying as they so obviously written with the aim of selling something. People should read your blog post for advice 🙂

• Reply Corinne December 8, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I think some sponsored posts can be great, I love it when they give me something unique to write about!

• Reply Teresa December 6, 2014 at 2:53 am

As a new blogger these tips come in so handy.. I haven’t exactly dealt with PR yet but I hope to in a near future!
    x The Caramel Cat

• Reply Corinne December 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I’m sure you will do 🙂

• Reply Akaleistar December 6, 2014 at 3:30 am

These are great tips! Planning ahead is a really good idea 🙂

• Reply Sara December 6, 2014 at 6:01 am

Great and helpful post! I haven’t done a sponsored posts yet but, these tips would come in handy if I ever did.

• Reply India December 6, 2014 at 12:35 pm

You’re so organised. I might get a notepad so I can plan my posts and product reviews better, as I’ve been getting a few more recently!

India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

• Reply Corinne December 8, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I use the notes app on my mac 😀

• Reply Andrea December 6, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Such a good post, lots of helpful info here!

Drea xo

• Reply Mel December 10, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I agree with all of these tips. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be for a brand to send a blogger something for review which is only suitable for a certain time of year but they don’t bother to write the post until after the best time to buy is gone. Planning ahead and scheduling means you’re not put under any pressure and you maintain a good relationship with that brand (unless you completely diss the product but sometimes it has to be done).

• Reply Kate Tunstall January 19, 2016 at 8:27 am

For someone just starting to get involved in reviews, these are some very useful tips. Thank you for sharing! X
    Kate Tunstall recently posted…Ask Me Anything #3My Profile