How to blog with no internet

how to blog with no internetWhat’s a computer with no internet? Nothing. Apart from some machine you can play solitaire on.

Everything I do on the computer is connected to the internet somehow. Even down to listening to music, which sends what I’ve listened to to my last.fm account so it can give me song recommendations based on my preferences. It’s tracked every song I’ve listened to since I was 18.

When we don’t have the internet available to use for a long period of time, things can get difficult in our lives. Especially for bloggers or social media addicts! I am convinced I get a headache if I’m not within wifi range for longer than 30 minutes.

The struggle is real.

I wanted to put some tips and tricks together so you can still blog or do blog related things even if you don’t have the internet for reasons such as:

• Moving house
  • Changing internet provider
  • Going on holiday
  • Being on a long haul flight

I got the inspiration from this post following my holiday to Florida, where I used the time on the airplane to write some blog posts. When I came back, I had 6 blog posts written up to publish over the next few weeks!

DSC_0903

Save your research before.

If you want to write a blog post the requires some research, search for it while you’re still connected to the internet. You don’t need to read it all there and then, you can either copy and paste into a word document or simply save the webpage straight from the browser.

When I went on holiday, I knew what posts I wanted to write on the plane, for example – a post about staying positive. So I saved around 10 webpages on positivity.

During my flight, I read through them and used the information to help type up my post in a word document.

Take and edit photos.

You don’t need the internet to take and edit photos for your blog post – you can do this while you’ve not internet and have them ready in a folder to upload as soon as you’re online.

Make a list of blog ideas.

You don’t have to just write a blog post – but you can also make a list of blog ideas or even organise your editorial calender with blog posts you would like to write over the next few months.

Use iPhone hotspots.

You can create a hotspot from your phone and use it was a wifi spot – this means if you’ve wrote a post in a text document, you can quickly jump online and paste it into a post on your blog, then upload and photos you’ve already edited and your post is ready to publish or schedule!

Plan a coffee shop trip.

If you’re going to be offline for more than a few days – you might want to plan a trip to somewhere with wifi. Just as above, with your posts ready in word files and pictures ready in photos, you can spend an hour or so preparing a few blog posts to schedule over the next few days.

Make use of scheduling programs.

Like I mentioned in this post – you can use many websites to schedule tweets. When I went to Florida, I used Twuffer to send out 2 tweets per day during the two weeks I was on holiday. This kept my stats up when I wasn’t there to promote my posts.

Have a backup dongle.

You can get pay as you go internet dongles that plug into your computer via USB. These can cost around ยฃ30 if you don’t want to buy into a contract and you can get 1GB of data for around ยฃ10. This is great if you run into a lack of internet on a regular basis but might not be worth the cost if it’s just a one off situation.

Plan a break.

The time away from the computer might be good for you. You could also plan to use the time to take a break from blogging and the internet. Read books, go for walk, spend time watching movies and other activities you put aside for your blog.

You can always schedule blog posts for your down time if you don’t want to leave your blog with no posts! A bit of time away might be refreshing.

Could you cope with no internet?

Untitled

1. November 28, 2014 / 11:13 am

I like to use the time to do up posts and get organized, it’s a real time saver when you do get back on the internet ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Friday doll xx

2. November 28, 2014 / 12:25 pm

I totally understand that struggle. For like 3 days this week we had no wifi and I was literally dying that first day. Then I found my phone hotspot, as you mentioned, and everything was okay again haha. If only I had found this post earlier. But you’re so right about the last one. Why am I so dependent that I just can’t do that. Is that sad?

Anyway, I’ve nominated you for the grateful blogger tag. Here’s the link: http://thelyfoflittleme.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/the-grateful-blogger-tag.html

-M
    The Life of Little Me

3. November 28, 2014 / 12:28 pm

I was left internet-less for a month thanks to BT’s ineptitude… It was pretty bad! Made me realise how much I rely on it. I don’t think this is a bad thing though, the internet is a wonderful thing ๐Ÿ™‚ It also played havoc with my mobile data allowance! Great post xx

4. November 28, 2014 / 1:51 pm

So agree with your post
    Computer with no internet is just useless

vnssachn.blogspot.com

5. November 28, 2014 / 2:30 pm

Oh it really is the worst but sounds like you’re organized!

6. November 28, 2014 / 3:36 pm

Wifi hot spots would be the best thing even, if they actually worked on my iPhone!!! The Cloud is the worst one, it’s rubbish! Great ideas though, taking and editing photos in the best one for no internet as your practically getting half your post done anyways!

The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

7. November 28, 2014 / 4:45 pm

I could “probably” survive a few days, but then I’m afraid I’d be missing it! Haha…Great post!

8. November 28, 2014 / 8:04 pm

I love this post! I’m more inspired when I jot down post ideas on paper rather than when I’m at the computer!

lovejoanna.com

9. November 28, 2014 / 8:15 pm

i don’t think i can ever live without the internet. I’m addicted to instagram! and thank you for your comment in my last post ๐Ÿ™‚ i appreciate the words x

10. November 28, 2014 / 8:32 pm

These are really great tips and big yes to taking and editing photos. I do that whenever I can which is hard these days due to horrible weather so the lighting is just bad. I wish I can buy lights and all to set up as my work place but there’s just no rooming our home. ๐Ÿ™

Reflection of Sanity

11. November 28, 2014 / 10:44 pm

When I went on a summer vacation I thought about this, but I opted to just take a break from everything and I came back in full speed ๐Ÿ˜‰ xoxo

12. November 28, 2014 / 11:25 pm

Original post as always! That iphone hotspot thing sounds a great idea. I refuse to buy into trendy items though, even if they are pretty good!

Amy at Amy & More

13. November 29, 2014 / 3:51 pm

All great ideas I wish that I could find another way to edit pics that is not reliant on internet. This is one of my big bug bears at the moment. I can write and plan off line using notes and taking screen grabs of information. Lucy x

14. November 29, 2014 / 10:20 pm

I can blast out posts a lot faster when I don’t have the internet to distract me haha ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m not a solitaire fan though!

India / Too Faced giveaway

15. November 30, 2014 / 6:59 am

The struggle is sooooo real. I’m in the new house move at the moment and tomorrow is internet connection day. It’s almost alas great as Christmas Day lol.

16. December 1, 2014 / 2:34 pm

I actually don’t mind so much not having internet. It’s nice to just relax sometimes. Have to admit, free wifi makes me happy though ๐Ÿ™‚

17. December 2, 2014 / 6:57 pm

This is awesome

check out my blogmas post
    xx