1 year smoke free // Breaking the habit.

stop smoking

If you’re a smoker, then I am probably your worst nightmare. I am The Ex Smoker.

You know, that ego inflated wanker that knows how it feels and thinks you should just give it a go.

It’s a strange thing how you can go from smoking around 20 cigarettes a day to thinking how strange it is to stand outside in the rain sucking on a stick. For pleasure?

When people stop smoking, the decision to do so can happen suddenly, or over a period of time where you slowly come to the realisation that this probably isn’t worth it.

When I was younger, my best friend’s dad smoked. He smoked for a lot of years. When my friend was 5 or 6, she came home from school sobbing and sniffing and saying ‘I don’t want my Dad to die’.

She had just learned about smoking and how it is bad for you.

Seeing her so upset, he immediately stopped stopped smoking and hasn’t touched a cigarette since.

For me, it was a much longer process.

My smoking story.

My brothers smoked growing up. I was that annoying younger sister, preaching to them how bad it was. How you would die and how disgusting it was.

942164_554363651474_1656443057_n

My and 2 of my older brothers. Also now ex-smokers!

I started smoking when I was 16.

By the time my family figured out my dirty secret – they had quit and I was the only sibling that smoked.

A friend had just started smoking and I started doing it too. Mainly because I heard it suppresses your appetite, speeds up your metabolism and is a good substitution to food. It seemed like a great idea because I was at the start of my self destructive decade and was totally up for anything that would:

• Make me thinner.
  • Be harmful to me.

stop smoking

In my first year of university I was 19 years old. I decided to be kinder to myself. I ate well and stopped smoking. It was difficult but I managed to do it. I stopped completely for about a year. Then, when I went out with friends I used to steal their cigarettes. I would feel guilty so buy my own just for nights out.

I moved to France for a year when I was 21. A german boy who was sharing the flat with me smoked. After feeling guilty for asking for his smokes, I started to buy my own. In France, it was around 3 euro for a pack of 20. About half the price of cigarettes in the UK.

I became a fully fledged smoker again.

I tried to stop a handful of times after that, but nothing more than 2 weeks at a time.

stop smoking

Every morning I would smoke on the way to work and feel a bit ill and dizzy. I started to think more and more about the reasons I was smoking. Why was it a good idea? Why was I doing this? Why was I making myself feel this ill?

I would roll another cigarette, smoke it, then ask myself the same. The negatives of smoking just were becoming to much for me. I started to worry about my healthy, worry about my ability stop stop. Worry about my skin, teeth and how bad I smelt.

Enough was enough.

I had spent money on some e-cigerettes a few months prior but never got on with them. I promised myself I would give it another go.

E-cigerettes just didn’t give me the same hit as smoking did. That feeling at the back of your throat, just in the right place. It wasn’t helping me.

Something was different though. I started to feel embarrassed to smoke. I felt ashamed walking down the street and people seeing me with a cigarette in my hand. I always thought of it as a dirty habit and I always told myself I would stop one day. One day. Tomorrow. By the time I’m 30. By the time I have children.

Last October, I joined Stoptober. I announced to a few close friends that I was stopping, made sure I had my e-cig on charge and felt 90% positive I could do it.

The first few days we’re okay. I had a migraine and was ill in bed for 2 days on day 4 and 5 of stopping smoking, which helped me get through the worst of it as I didn’t feel like smoking.

After about 2 weeks, the e-cigs started giving me the same hit that cigarettes did. I was a little worried that I had just replaced one bad habit with another.

Over time, I started using e-vapour with no nicotine in. Then after a few months, I naturally just stopped using it less.

I think the last time I used it was in July.

1913648_358792425060_8200007_n

My tips for stopping smoking:

• Search the internet for articles about how bad smoking is for your health.
  • Give e-cigs a few weeks if they don’t help you straight away.
  • Notice how bad other smokers smell – you’ll realise this once you’ve stopped for a few days.
  • Add up how much you’re saving.
  • Search the internet for articles about the benefits of not smoking.
  • Read the book: The Power Of Habit.
  • Stay away from alcohol until you feel mentally strong enough.
  • Keep reminding yourself of how you want to stop.
  • Join Stoptober.

Have any one of you stopped smoking, or are thinking about quitting?

Untitled

• Corinne
      October 8, 2014 / 8:06 pm

I hope so!

• Corinne
      October 8, 2014 / 8:06 pm

I don’t think I struggled that much, thankfully!

• Corinne
      October 8, 2014 / 8:06 pm

Do show him! It must be hard trying to get others to stop smoking, I had an ex who tried to make me quit and I didn’t take it very well!

1. October 7, 2014 / 12:45 pm

Phew, thank god I never started smoking when so many of my friends did 🙂 Quitting sounds difficult.

2. October 7, 2014 / 1:58 pm

Great job! Vaping is such a wonderful resource for quitting. I am still on 12mg nicotine in my vaping… but my plan is to gradually lower it to zero.

• Corinne
      October 8, 2014 / 8:07 pm

Good luck! Let me know how you get on!

3. October 7, 2014 / 3:53 pm

Wow, go you! Thats amazing work, you should be really proud of yourself. And well done for putting it out there to inspire others with your story too.

Lyndsay | Fizzy Peaches

4. October 7, 2014 / 5:47 pm

That’s really good! Quitting is really hard. I know that because of 2 of my family members. Asking those questions can be really good to realize that it’s not a good thing. Well done Corinne! It’s great that you shared this with others. It can make them realize, or know that they can to!

• Corinne
      October 8, 2014 / 8:07 pm

I hope others stop too!

5. October 7, 2014 / 6:17 pm

Wow, congrats on quitting the habit! I know some of my younger friends started smoking when they were 16 or younger in highschool and it’s so hard to stop… Also, I know others who felt pressured to smoke when in military service with their buddies… So definitely peers and those phases in your life can result in bad habits, but habits don’t have to control you if you work at it! Great post, I definitely commend you for your hard work and determination towards making a healthier lifestyle!

xx Debbie

• Corinne
      October 8, 2014 / 8:08 pm

Pressuring someone to smoke is such a weird thing!

6. October 7, 2014 / 7:29 pm

Hi dear!
    Great!! I’m happy for you 🙂
    I’ve never smoked so I can’t say anything else but congrats!
    xoxo

7. October 7, 2014 / 7:41 pm

I need you to help me!

• Corinne
      October 8, 2014 / 8:08 pm

I will

8. October 7, 2014 / 8:27 pm

Well done on giving up now just bloody make sure you don’t start again. I have had friends that have stopped for years and then life gets hard or they get drunk and start again. Once you have gone through the challenge of giving up stick with it Lucy x

• Corinne
      October 8, 2014 / 8:08 pm

Yeah – I think I am now able to get wasted and not smoke. Woo!

9. October 7, 2014 / 8:49 pm

Wow,this is an awesome post very informative
    Am happy for you dear the fact that you were able to quir its awesome

10. October 7, 2014 / 10:45 pm

Well done for giving up! I am one of those annoying people that never smoked so I have no idea how difficult it is!
    However, it’s a great achievement and you’ve done really well!

Emma | frillsanddoodads.com

11. October 8, 2014 / 2:56 am

Wow, congratulations! Going a year without smoking is a huge achievement.

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your honesty in talking about topics like this–it’s so easy for bloggers to push aside the less “attractive” parts of their lives. You never know who you’ll help by shedding light on it though!

XxMO
    madame-ostrich.com

• Corinne
      October 8, 2014 / 8:09 pm

Thanks, I’m all about showing the real me. Ha.

12. October 8, 2014 / 10:21 am

Well done! A whole year!

I’m currently doing Stoptober this year and I’ve got to say, I’ve found it easier than before when I have tried to quit. I literally decided two days before that I was going to do it (not giving myself time to get worked up about it) and I think that really helped. That and I didn’t like the smell of smoke on me anymore. I have fine wrinkles forming around my eyes and just felt lethargic all the time. After a week of not smoking, I don’t know why I ever did it for so long!

• Corinne
      October 8, 2014 / 8:09 pm

I’m glad you’re doing so well! Keep it up!

13. October 9, 2014 / 6:22 am

Well done on giving up… I’m a smoker and really should quit as I find often I smoke much more than I would due to boredom and I can’t even begin with how much it’s costing me these days!

Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

14. October 9, 2014 / 9:15 pm

e-Cigarettes are pretty useful, it’s how I’ve managed to (nearly) quit too :). Minus the odd stressful situation I’m doing well. Congrats on quitting smoking, and thanks for writing a post about quitting that doesn’t sound super holier than thou

15. October 9, 2014 / 11:55 pm

proud of you! 🙂 xx

16. October 10, 2014 / 3:01 am

Good for you! My friend is a smoker and I always try to tell him to break the habit now before he’s far too deep. Happy that you were able to see how awful it was for you! Great blog as well! Followed you on Twitter for quicker updates 🙂
    ♡ Baylei

17. October 17, 2014 / 2:48 am

My dad has been a smoker for as long as I can remember and wouldn’t quit no matter how you ask him to…finally we all gave up and just carries on smoking his fill day in day out…the difference between you and him is it was you who wanted to quit not the other people around you and I think that’s fantastic…you’ve got some strong willpower there miss.. 🙂
    Congratulations on your 1 year hope they turn into many more 🙂