Posted on October 7, 2014

1 year smoke free // Breaking the habit.

lifestyle/ self improvement

stop smoking

If you’re a smoker, then I am probably your worst nightmare. I am The Ex Smoker.

You know, that ego inflated wanker that knows how it feels and thinks you should just give it a go.

It’s a strange thing how you can go from smoking around 20 cigarettes a day to thinking how strange it is to stand outside in the rain sucking on a stick. For pleasure?

When people stop smoking, the decision to do so can happen suddenly, or over a period of time where you slowly come to the realisation that this probably isn’t worth it.

When I was younger, my best friend’s dad smoked. He smoked for a lot of years. When my friend was 5 or 6, she came home from school sobbing and sniffing and saying ‘I don’t want my Dad to die’.

She had just learned about smoking and how it is bad for you.

Seeing her so upset, he immediately stopped stopped smoking and hasn’t touched a cigarette since.

For me, it was a much longer process.

My smoking story.

My brothers smoked growing up. I was that annoying younger sister, preaching to them how bad it was. How you would die and how disgusting it was.

942164_554363651474_1656443057_n

My and 2 of my older brothers. Also now ex-smokers!

I started smoking when I was 16.

By the time my family figured out my dirty secret – they had quit and I was the only sibling that smoked.

A friend had just started smoking and I started doing it too. Mainly because I heard it suppresses your appetite, speeds up your metabolism and is a good substitution to food. It seemed like a great idea because I was at the start of my self destructive decade and was totally up for anything that would:

• Make me thinner.
  • Be harmful to me.

stop smoking

In my first year of university I was 19 years old. I decided to be kinder to myself. I ate well and stopped smoking. It was difficult but I managed to do it. I stopped completely for about a year. Then, when I went out with friends I used to steal their cigarettes. I would feel guilty so buy my own just for nights out.

I moved to France for a year when I was 21. A german boy who was sharing the flat with me smoked. After feeling guilty for asking for his smokes, I started to buy my own. In France, it was around 3 euro for a pack of 20. About half the price of cigarettes in the UK.

I became a fully fledged smoker again.

I tried to stop a handful of times after that, but nothing more than 2 weeks at a time.

stop smoking

Every morning I would smoke on the way to work and feel a bit ill and dizzy. I started to think more and more about the reasons I was smoking. Why was it a good idea? Why was I doing this? Why was I making myself feel this ill?

I would roll another cigarette, smoke it, then ask myself the same. The negatives of smoking just were becoming to much for me. I started to worry about my healthy, worry about my ability stop stop. Worry about my skin, teeth and how bad I smelt.

Enough was enough.

I had spent money on some e-cigerettes a few months prior but never got on with them. I promised myself I would give it another go.

E-cigerettes just didn’t give me the same hit as smoking did. That feeling at the back of your throat, just in the right place. It wasn’t helping me.

Something was different though. I started to feel embarrassed to smoke. I felt ashamed walking down the street and people seeing me with a cigarette in my hand. I always thought of it as a dirty habit and I always told myself I would stop one day. One day. Tomorrow. By the time I’m 30. By the time I have children.

Last October, I joined Stoptober. I announced to a few close friends that I was stopping, made sure I had my e-cig on charge and felt 90% positive I could do it.

The first few days we’re okay. I had a migraine and was ill in bed for 2 days on day 4 and 5 of stopping smoking, which helped me get through the worst of it as I didn’t feel like smoking.

After about 2 weeks, the e-cigs started giving me the same hit that cigarettes did. I was a little worried that I had just replaced one bad habit with another.

Over time, I started using e-vapour with no nicotine in. Then after a few months, I naturally just stopped using it less.

I think the last time I used it was in July.

1913648_358792425060_8200007_n

My tips for stopping smoking:

• Search the internet for articles about how bad smoking is for your health.
  • Give e-cigs a few weeks if they don’t help you straight away.
  • Notice how bad other smokers smell – you’ll realise this once you’ve stopped for a few days.
  • Add up how much you’re saving.
  • Search the internet for articles about the benefits of not smoking.
  • Read the book: The Power Of Habit.
  • Stay away from alcohol until you feel mentally strong enough.
  • Keep reminding yourself of how you want to stop.
  • Join Stoptober.

Have any one of you stopped smoking, or are thinking about quitting?

Untitled

• Reply Karen October 7, 2014 at 9:25 am

Huge well done lovely! I’m certain this post will help many others 🙂

x

• Reply Corinne October 8, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I hope so!

• Reply jackie harrison October 7, 2014 at 11:31 am

Wow doll you should feel proud of yourself I know smokers who had a terrible time trying to quit so I will share this post with them to show your strength and accomplishment. Great message to put out there.

• Reply Corinne October 8, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I don’t think I struggled that much, thankfully!

• Reply Athena October 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Congrats to you girl! I’m not a smoker but I’m trying to get my dad to reduce his smoking, I might show him this! Thank you for sharing!

FASHIONISTA LOOKS
    MY LATEST POST
    Facebook
    Instagram
    bloglovin
    Twitter

• Reply Corinne October 8, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Do show him! It must be hard trying to get others to stop smoking, I had an ex who tried to make me quit and I didn’t take it very well!

• Reply Kiss & Make-up October 7, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Phew, thank god I never started smoking when so many of my friends did 🙂 Quitting sounds difficult.

• Reply Emilee October 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Great job! Vaping is such a wonderful resource for quitting. I am still on 12mg nicotine in my vaping… but my plan is to gradually lower it to zero.

• Reply Corinne October 8, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Good luck! Let me know how you get on!

• Reply Lyndsay October 7, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Wow, go you! Thats amazing work, you should be really proud of yourself. And well done for putting it out there to inspire others with your story too.

Lyndsay | Fizzy Peaches

• Reply Katy October 7, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Well done you! 😀

My friend gave up a couple of years ago and I saw how hard it was for her. It really is an awesome achievement! xx

Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle & Fashion

• Reply JaseyJade October 7, 2014 at 5:47 pm

That’s really good! Quitting is really hard. I know that because of 2 of my family members. Asking those questions can be really good to realize that it’s not a good thing. Well done Corinne! It’s great that you shared this with others. It can make them realize, or know that they can to!

• Reply Corinne October 8, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I hope others stop too!

• Reply Oksana October 7, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Corinne it’s really great to stop smoking! Thanks for sharing))

• Reply Debbie October 7, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Wow, congrats on quitting the habit! I know some of my younger friends started smoking when they were 16 or younger in highschool and it’s so hard to stop… Also, I know others who felt pressured to smoke when in military service with their buddies… So definitely peers and those phases in your life can result in bad habits, but habits don’t have to control you if you work at it! Great post, I definitely commend you for your hard work and determination towards making a healthier lifestyle!

xx Debbie

• Reply Corinne October 8, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Pressuring someone to smoke is such a weird thing!

• Reply Arien October 7, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Hi dear!
    Great!! I’m happy for you 🙂
    I’ve never smoked so I can’t say anything else but congrats!
    xoxo

• Reply laura October 7, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I need you to help me!

• Reply Corinne October 8, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I will

• Reply Lucy October 7, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Well done on giving up now just bloody make sure you don’t start again. I have had friends that have stopped for years and then life gets hard or they get drunk and start again. Once you have gone through the challenge of giving up stick with it Lucy x

• Reply Corinne October 8, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Yeah – I think I am now able to get wasted and not smoke. Woo!

• Reply Elizabeth Rebecca October 7, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Congratulations on giving up – I’ve never smoked but can imagine how hard this one. A great achievement.

Lizzie’s Daily Blog

• Reply glamourzone October 7, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Wow,this is an awesome post very informative
    Am happy for you dear the fact that you were able to quir its awesome

• Reply Emma October 7, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Well done for giving up! I am one of those annoying people that never smoked so I have no idea how difficult it is!
    However, it’s a great achievement and you’ve done really well!

Emma | frillsanddoodads.com

• Reply Kim of A Very Sweet Blog October 8, 2014 at 2:24 am

So happy you kicked the habit Corinne. So much healthier. Long term benefits.

• Reply Madame Ostrich October 8, 2014 at 2:56 am

Wow, congratulations! Going a year without smoking is a huge achievement.

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your honesty in talking about topics like this–it’s so easy for bloggers to push aside the less “attractive” parts of their lives. You never know who you’ll help by shedding light on it though!

XxMO
    madame-ostrich.com

• Reply Corinne October 8, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Thanks, I’m all about showing the real me. Ha.

• Reply Gemma October 8, 2014 at 10:21 am

Well done! A whole year!

I’m currently doing Stoptober this year and I’ve got to say, I’ve found it easier than before when I have tried to quit. I literally decided two days before that I was going to do it (not giving myself time to get worked up about it) and I think that really helped. That and I didn’t like the smell of smoke on me anymore. I have fine wrinkles forming around my eyes and just felt lethargic all the time. After a week of not smoking, I don’t know why I ever did it for so long!

• Reply Corinne October 8, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I’m glad you’re doing so well! Keep it up!

• Reply Victoria October 9, 2014 at 6:22 am

Well done on giving up… I’m a smoker and really should quit as I find often I smoke much more than I would due to boredom and I can’t even begin with how much it’s costing me these days!

Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

• Reply Katie October 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm

e-Cigarettes are pretty useful, it’s how I’ve managed to (nearly) quit too :). Minus the odd stressful situation I’m doing well. Congrats on quitting smoking, and thanks for writing a post about quitting that doesn’t sound super holier than thou

• Reply Laura October 9, 2014 at 11:55 pm

proud of you! 🙂 xx

• Reply Baylei Rae October 10, 2014 at 3:01 am

Good for you! My friend is a smoker and I always try to tell him to break the habit now before he’s far too deep. Happy that you were able to see how awful it was for you! Great blog as well! Followed you on Twitter for quicker updates 🙂
    ♡ Baylei

• Reply Neal Kind October 17, 2014 at 2:48 am

My dad has been a smoker for as long as I can remember and wouldn’t quit no matter how you ask him to…finally we all gave up and just carries on smoking his fill day in day out…the difference between you and him is it was you who wanted to quit not the other people around you and I think that’s fantastic…you’ve got some strong willpower there miss.. 🙂
    Congratulations on your 1 year hope they turn into many more 🙂