Posted on August 9, 2014

Top 8 Interview Tips

lifestyle

interview tips

I shared some great news in my Corinstagram post: I recently got a new job.

I am still working for the same company and the work level is the same, still a manager, but I’ll be in charge of a different department in a new branch that is currently being built.

As I’ve just done a successful interview and am currently conducting lots of group and one-2-one interviews to recruit our new work force, I thought a list of interview tips would be a great idea!

Although we do have checklists and guidelines within our company, these are mostly things that I personally look for when conducting interviews.

Let’s go!

Top 8 interview tips.

interview tips

1. Never underestimate the important of body language.

It’s okay to be nervous about an interview, I do find that if you have a few signs of being nervous, it can really say how much the job means to you. That being said, you need to be aware of some mannerisms that nervous people have and put a stop to them. Some can really distract from what you are saying. The biggest thing for me is covering your mouth or face with your hands. Some people naturally put their hand up to their mouth while walking which makes it hard to understand it also distracting. Try to have an open body language and make it easy for me to concentrate on what you are saying.

2. What you lookin’ at?

Eye contact can be important, but there is a difference between glaring at me. Especially if there is more than one interviewing, try not to focus all your attention on one person but talk to them both. You should only hold your gaze with the same person for a few seconds, then look away and then look back. Just look how you do it in natural conversation.

3. Are you listening?

Listen carefully to the question and try to answer it correctly. For example, if you’re asked to give an example of a time you have dealt with a certain situation, do try to give an example where you talk about a specific person or group of people, rather than giving a vague response. In a group interview I find what happens is, if one person answers the question incorrectly, everyone else will follow their lead and also answer in the same way. Although it’s okay to steer an answer towards something valuable you have to say, it needs to stay in context.

4. There’s more than one person!

If it’s a group interview, do not be afraid to talk to other people in the interview and make eye contact. More often than not, I find people will look at the table, their hands or the interviewers while somebody else is speaking. Don’t forget to pay attention to others in the interview and even talk to them, even if it’s just locking eye contact and saying ‘I agree with that’. We’re not just looking for how amazing you answer the questions, but how you also interact with people you don’t know – like you would have to in a customer setting. If it isn’t a group interview, but there’s more than person in the interview, ensure you acknowledge them too!

5. Look the part.

Be really careful about what you choose to wear. You may not have to come suited and booted to every interview, but go for smart/casual clothing. Avoid jeans, trainers and overly bright colours/patterns. You want to give off the impression that you’ve made an effort when you’ve come to the interview, not that you’ve just turned up in clothes that you would wear when nipping the supermarket.

6. Cakey face!

Keep your makeup natural. You don’t want to go all aloud and have smokey eyes, heavy bronzer and bright lips. Stick to natural and earthy colours when it comes to eyeshadow, and subtle shades when it comes to blush and lip colours.

7. Ask a question.

Try to ask a question at the end of the interview. Not many people as questions so when they do, it really shows an interest in the job, drive and confidence. If you can’t think of anything, there are general questions you can ask such as:

• Are there chances to progress within the company?
  • What type of contract is it?
  • Is there the opportunity for overtime?
  • What is the training program like?
  • Can I get feedback on how the interview has gone?

8. The customer is always right.

If you are applying for a job in a customer setting, great customer service is probably the driving force of the business. You need to describe great customer service and how you would go over and beyond to help the customer to make them leave feeling like you’ve really taken the time to answers any questions or solve any problems they may have.

What are your best interview tips?

interview tips

• Reply Lucy August 9, 2014 at 10:42 am

Interviews are really nerve racking and it is important to be well prepared. Showing that you have done your homework. Know something about the company and where you are going to work. Look interested and consider what comes out of your mouth. Think before you speak. All great tips Lucy x

• Reply Corinne August 11, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Yeah, that’s a great point! As well as knowing about the area where the place is set.

• Reply Jade August 9, 2014 at 10:54 am

Thanks so much for this! I remember being SO nervous for my first group interview last year because there were so many others there, so I had to put on a bit of confident front, mannerisms and all. Very tough, but it worked for me! Great tips here 😀

Jade x
    jadethejourno.blogspot.co.uk ♡

• Reply Serena August 9, 2014 at 11:19 am

Ah I found this so helpful, thank you! I might be going to an interview next week, so I’ll keep these tips in mind!
    Serena
    xx

• Reply Emma-Hope Newitt August 9, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I loved this post so helpful, sometimes we forget the smallest and most important things in a interview because we’re always so nervous!xx

• Reply Corinne August 11, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Thanks Emma – I wanted to visit your blog but I think you put the wrong URL in! 🙁

• Reply Oksana August 9, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Great post dear…Thanks for sharing))

• Reply pilar dominguez August 9, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I think your tips are very useful, I wouldn´t add anything else. Kisses:)

• Reply jackie harrison August 9, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Congratulation best of luck doll great tips it will come handy.

• Reply Emma Luxton August 9, 2014 at 11:25 pm

This tips are really great. I think a good tip is also to be yourself and be honest. If you can’t think of an answer to a question be honest, it shows personality and lets the interviewers see a bit about the real you.

Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

• Reply Corinne August 11, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Yes – being honest is really good because it shows you don’t have an issue in saying you don’t understand something!

• Reply Olivia August 10, 2014 at 3:00 am

Thank you so much for this helpful tip! I know that interviews with be something to look forward to (sarcasm) in the future. But your post helps a lot:) Question: Do you have different tips with phone interviews or Skype interviews?
    xo Olivia

• Reply Corinne August 11, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I’ve never done a phone or Skype interview! I guess it’s all around how clear you are and convincing you sound.

• Reply Liz @distract_me August 10, 2014 at 11:38 am

I think my best interview/application tip is to focus on examples of things you’ve actually DONE rather than talking about vague personal qualities e.g. I’m really trustworthy or whatever. I also think it’s good to construct a narrative so that it seems that evething you’ve done so far in life has been leading up to this job! X

• Reply Sarah August 10, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Great tips! I’d also add that you should do your research! Research the company to show you’ve taken the time to get to know them, be specific and if you can find their ethos or goals, mention them too and how you can relate/apply them to the position in question. They eat this up like double chocolate cake with ice cream on the side!

• Reply Corinne August 11, 2014 at 10:21 pm

finding their ethos or goals is fantastic is a fantastic tip!

• Reply JaseyJade August 11, 2014 at 3:04 am

Thanks Corinne! 😀 I will be needing this soon!

• Reply Sweetheart Fashion August 11, 2014 at 9:29 am

Really great interview tips! All super important to remember.
    Particularly to ask questions! A lot of people forget that one.
    Great advice, thanks 🙂 xoxo

• Reply Amber August 12, 2014 at 10:56 am

Perfect post thank you! Bookmarking this! I have a really good, professional looking CV but I think I come across too nervous and keen in interviews. At this stage I am still only applying for part time work, for example in retail so it’s hard when the interviewers already know that you’re not looking to progress with them. Next time I will deffo ask if I can get feedback on the interview!

• Reply Chloe August 18, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Great post – I did a few interviews last academic year and really enjoyed them. I think the key is to relax and be yourself! x

• Reply Katie August 19, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Oh my gosh this helped me so much. I’m currently in the interview process and its terrifying!!

Thanks for posting this. I finally updated 🙂