Getting Personal // Blog Post Ideas

blog post ideas for personal blogs

In the last #socialbloggers chat we spoke about reasons you keep going back and reading a blog. A lot of people said that they really enjoyed reading lifestyle posts and personal posts and those were the type of posts they preferred the most.

They also mentioned how they wish they could write more personal posts themselves, but a lot were often stuck for ideas.

Writing personal posts doesn’t have to mean exposing your deepest, darkest secrets. I’m a firm believer that you should never post anything on your blog that makes you feel uncomfortable. If you would cringe and be embarrassed if your Mum/Boss were to read it, then don’t write it. That’s my motto.

Why would I want to write personal posts?

Allowing your audience to get to know you can really help you to gain their loyalty. Writing about something personal not only let’s people see a little bit of your world, but also gives them the opportunity to feel connected to you. If you write about something that relates to them, then they’ll be likely to share their similar experiences/thoughts/feelings/opinions with you. It makes it easier for people to be able to engage with you – it encourages engagement and you can really get to know about your audiences too.

It’s much easier to give a meaty, lengthy comment on a personal post than it is a review post (unless you have personal experience with the product/brand).

Once you’ve made a connection, you’ll most likely gain the loyalty of a reader and they’ll come back.

As I described in my pervious post, you’ll be much more likely to appreciate the views of someone you’ve made a connection with than a stranger. So when you post reviews of the latest lippy – your regular readers will be more interested in what you have to say.

This is why I think it’s important to chuck in the odd personal post here and there, to let your personality shine through and not let it get lost in all those reviews that may make it harder to get your personality out!

Blog Post Ideas:

Here are some of the personal posts I’ve done on my blog, that you can do too:

blog post ideas for personal blogsThe ‘What’s in my bag tag’. I did my own what’s in my bag tag back in January and always enjoy reading these on other blogs as I’m nosey as hell. I like the idea of doing it when you just get a new bag, like I did. Although I guess it would be more ‘authentic’ to just do one randomly. But mine would probably be full of loads of receipts and paperwork! You can also do a ‘what’s in my make-up bag’ post, or share what’s in your shower, on your bedside table, in your fridge.. the posibilities are endless.

blog post ideas for personal blogs A ‘random facts’ post. I wrote this ’10 random facts about me’ posts when I felt like I had been posting too many reviews of products that had been sent to me and not enough personal posts, so this is a fun and easy way to let your audience learn a little about yourself!

The story behind your blog, or something about your blog. You may want to write a post about why you started blogging and what it means to you, or something similar. I wrote a post about why my blog is called ‘skinnedcartree’: What is a skinnedcartree? Because skinnedcartree has a history, you see.

blog post ideas for personal blogsHave you ever done something inspirational or something motivational? Have you done something that has really taken you out of your comfort zone or something that has given you a really valuable life lesson? Blog about it! I wrote a post about how I moved to France after going through a pretty rough time! You can talk about many experiences here – it could be going to university, moving out of home, getting over your first heart break or having to deal with something that was difficult but really shaped you as a person.

blog post ideas for personal blogsDo you instagram? Here’s an easy one: An instagram roundup post. On the 1st of each month, I post all my instagram pictures and give an overview of the month, highlighting anything important that has happened to me. You can do this weekly, if you wish. If you don’t use instagram, or don’t want to use your instagram pictures – you can just do a general Life Lately post where you talk about what you’ve been up to, what you’ve been thinking about and how you’ve been feeling. This is my latest Corinstagram post.

blog post ideas for personal blogsSpecial occasions. Post about your birthday, your friends birthday, your friends baby shower. Christmas, New years and any other special events going on in your life! A festival, a meal out or a trip to the zoo. They’re all interesting and make for fab blog posts!

blog post ideas for personal blogsShow your blogging space or give a room or house tour! I did a bloggers desk post where I showed the area I blog in. I love reading these, alongside office tours or house tours of any kind. I’m the type of person that will look straight into a house if their lights are on and curtains aren’t closed. LET ME SEE!

blog post ideas for personal blogsBeen on holiday? I’m doing a whole series on my holiday to Florida! I’m probably going to get a good 25 posts out of it by the time I’ve done! Trips are a great post idea. You can even go back and talk about holidays you went on a few years ago.

DSC_0383Do you have something that you’re really passionate about or makes you want to stand on a soap box? For me it’s body image. I wrote a post on self-image because it’s something I struggle with.

Write a top 5 or 10 list. This one is easy and you can write about whatever you want. Top 5 songs, top 10 books, top 5 places you’ve want to visit. You can write a list of your favourite bloggers or even a list of the best posts you’ve read recently!

furby1.jpg1Write about your childhood. Do you have a memory that you’re really fond of, a family holiday that makes you feel nostalgic. A favourite toy? Maybe you have an embarrassing story to share or you believe in something really silly. Share it, please 🙂

Write about how you met your boyfriend, about how he proposed or having your first child. Write about your friends, how you met them, what makes them special, something amazing you’ve done together or something interesting about them.

DSC_0813

Write a bucket list or a list of things you want to do before you die. You can even make it more specific and write a post about your monthly or yearly goals.

I hope this has given you some ideas about getting personal on your blog!

What are your favourite types of personal posts to read?

Sweet Pizza

1. August 22, 2014 / 9:20 am

These are great ideas. I think its good to share some personal things about you as it helps readers to connect. I just don’t share pictures of my children or anything like that as I have to think of their safety and privacy. But, its nice to see inside someone’s world really 🙂 xx

• Corinne
      August 24, 2014 / 6:37 pm

There’s ways to share personal things without giving away where you live etc! I don’t know if I’d share pictures of my kids. Actually, I probably totally would haha.

2. August 22, 2014 / 9:36 am

My blog is a whole mishmash of unrelated but personal posts. I’d find it hard to do lots of reviews or focus on one area.

I’m always pleased when people see that as a legitimate form of blogging, rather than a more focused style such as fashion or beauty.

• Corinne
      August 24, 2014 / 6:39 pm

Haha, I find it hard too.

3. Jackie Harrison
    August 22, 2014 / 11:15 am

I’m very private person so for me to get personal is hard and so when I share anything about me is all honest true. I admire everyone who feel comfortable to share. My favorite on this post your toy with your dad how cool to still have it. Enjoy your weekend.

4. August 22, 2014 / 12:59 pm

Thanks for this, it has given me a few ideas for some blog posts. I am going on holiday soon and was worried I would have too many holiday post but seeing as you may have 25 I don’t feel too bad! 😉

• Corinne
      August 24, 2014 / 6:40 pm

I’ll probably have more than 25 by the time I’m done!

5. August 22, 2014 / 1:20 pm

This is a much better post than I thought it would be. Not because you wouldn’t make it great, just because I presumed it would be a list but by adding a description to each idea and your own pictures it’s become a ‘personal’ post in itself! 🙂

Amy at Amy & More

• Corinne
      August 24, 2014 / 6:44 pm

Haha. I’m not good at lists, I talk too much for stuff like that.

6. August 22, 2014 / 2:03 pm

Wow, these are some really great ideas! I’m kind of inspired now! I liked to write up posts about my opinions on things back when I first started blogging, but now that I have a much larger audience, I’m really afraid of offending people. It sucks because it used to feel really good to vent, but I also love having my blog being a positive environment,

• Corinne
      August 24, 2014 / 6:47 pm

Don’t be afraid of offending people! If you know how to write with respect and dignity, you’ll be fine 🙂

7. August 22, 2014 / 3:00 pm

Love these blog tips! My favorite personal blogs I think are closet posts! Everyone organizes differently and I’m always rearranging mine so I love getting new ideas. Look forward to seeing your posts!

• Corinne
      August 24, 2014 / 6:49 pm

Mine is just a mess

8. August 22, 2014 / 6:16 pm

You always “give” your personnal touch to your posts, I like it very much and we know many things of you for this reason. keep this way. Kisses:)

• Corinne
      August 24, 2014 / 6:49 pm

Thanks dear 🙂

9. August 22, 2014 / 7:18 pm

All wonderful ideas and suggestions. I struggle with showing my ugly mugg on my blog. Most pictures I look bloody awful in. I will have to try some of these out Lucy x

10. August 22, 2014 / 8:22 pm

OH MY GOD CORINNE YOU HAVE A FURBY!?

I had a Furby and a Gizmo, and like 50 beanie babies but I lost them all when I moved with my dad 🙁

Personal posts are fun. Maybe I’ll do a 10 random facts!

India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

• Corinne
      August 24, 2014 / 6:50 pm

DO IT INDIA

11. August 22, 2014 / 9:45 pm

Getting personal can get a lot of genuine followers and friends. For me it is hard though, but I am about to write a tag post where I will write a bit about myself rather than some scientific facts about a plastic surgery.. lol I have been tagged for My Writing Process Tour tag and now I am looking for someone who would be interested in taking part as well. I don’t want to tag someone who is not going to participate. I would love to tag you as you are incredibly creative and you can give plenty of ideas for us ordinary folks. Let me know if you’d be interested, I will send you more details. Do you mind responding to me by e-mail: mingaile@btinternet.com
    Love,
    Min

12. August 22, 2014 / 10:22 pm

I’ve been having a bit of a blog idea moment lately. Thinking up my own and looking around those “blog idea lists” for others – I’ve got myself quite a nice list to really get stuck into.

I agree, person posts are the ones for me. Nosey parker personal posts especially 😀

• Corinne
      August 24, 2014 / 6:51 pm

That’s great. I have a long list too!

13. August 23, 2014 / 2:30 am

Fun post ideas! I really like the what’s in my bag tag 🙂

14. August 23, 2014 / 1:36 pm

Great post, lots of great ideas, I shall go forth and get all up in my own personal space over on the blog! It will help break up review posts etc!

• Corinne
      August 24, 2014 / 6:51 pm

Go forth and conquer!

15. August 24, 2014 / 12:28 pm

Ahahahaha I’m so glad you linked to the post about your blog name :’) mine is named amber love for basically the same reason!! It’s my username for a bunch of stuff and I got stuck with it haha. Skinnedcartree is such a cool name, it deffo sticks in my mind 🙂 xo

16. August 24, 2014 / 6:54 pm

Thank you so much for being so insperational! All my personal blog posts have been about how to face certain hardships from women constantly being judged on apperance, coping with food intolerance and diognosing a developmental disorder. Time for something more fun! :0) My handbag & fridge and instagram/Twitter that month. Ta chuck!

17. September 1, 2014 / 11:57 am

Loved this post !
    Hey I am trying to make money via google adsense and I opended your advertisments too. Can you please do the same?
    Best regards.
    xx

18. September 3, 2014 / 4:42 am

Thanks for some wonderful ideas! I’ve recently gotten more involved in my blog and this is the no.1 issue I’ve struggled with. I know being personal builds connection and community -but it’s so hard deciding what to share and ideas that surround it. I will definitely keep this post in mind!

19. September 3, 2014 / 7:40 pm

Ah these are all great ideas! Love reading personal posts too!

Xx

20. April 18, 2016 / 8:57 pm

I was quit surprised when I wrote my first lifestyle post about coffee and everyone liked it and commented on it! It got the highest comments that month. I felt kinda of brave to share some of my life on my blog. Although I thought people would get sick of me haha. But even the later lifestyle posts.. I did 50 facts about me and unexpectedly everyone liked it. I have so many ideas now.. But my main problem is I don’t have pics for them! People won’t feel that what you have wrote is authentic unless they see real photos, and TBH I agree with them.. I don’t take photos because it’s a struggle for me.. Lately I tried to do more photos so I will be posting more lifestyle posts soon.
    Hager recently posted…My not Best Day Ever!My Profile